Posted to rec.woodworking
Casper Casper is offline

Default Building my first woodworking space, need help

I've always been interested in woodworking since 7th grade when I took
shop, but I've never had the time, money or space to get into the
hobby. But now that I'm in my mid 30's, own a house and some land, and
have some disposable income that She lets me spend I am finally going
to get started.

Welcome to the club.

I live in the burbs, on a 110 X 60 plot, in a house with no garage or
basement. The old shed I had was tiny, barely enough to get the lawn
mower inside, but this weekend I am getting a brand new 12 X 12 shed
from Shedsusa.com. I opted for the Gambrel roof for extra storage, and
the heavy duty flooring. Style is classic, with the 40 inch doors in
the front.

I am in a similar situation.

So, my question to you wise people is this: How much work can I get in
this shed? Will I have enough room to do any work?

Quite a lot. Yes.

Also, should I wire the inside with electrical cable? I was imagining
putting in a light switch and some outlets around the shed, an dmaybe
putting in an outlet into the work bench I am going to build. I can't
legally run a circuit to the shed, so the best i would be able to do
is drag a 12/3 extension cord to the shed and plug it into a jack to
power the shed.

With the assistance of my father-in-law, we ran a line under the house
from the main panel to the shed. We put it all on a new circuit. It's
been working fine for years with only an occasional trip when bad
weather rolls in, like the storms we had in '08 where over a million
here were without power.

Has anyone else done something like this before that has any
experiences they want to share? Thanks, Dave.

I live in a mobile home community. Ergo I have very limited space to
have a real woodshop. I have mainly been using my utility room to do
turning, with some creative enhancements to protect everything. Then I
added a scrollsaw, and now a drill press and bandsaw, etc. Obviously I
can't keep it all in-house, so some is in a 12x16 barn style shed.

It houses garden tools, misc house items and the woodworking tools.
This year it's going to get an upgrade. More cabinets and a bigger
work surface. Either later this year or next year, the plan is to
extend it another 7-8 feet, splitting it into two parts, one for a
woodshop and one for everything else.

So far it has worked for me for the past five years. From my point of
view, you'll get a lot into your 12x12 if you are only going to use it
for a shop. I unfortunately cannot dedicate it entirely to that but
the addition should give me a 12x8 shop that should nicely handle all
my current requirements, and a few still to come.

`Casper