Matt Scantlebury

Default Building Regs For Parking Space

All,

Our house and front garden are about 1m above the level of the road.
We have just been granted planning permission to excavate the garden
to provide an off-street parking space (retaining walls on three
sides, steps leading up to front door, block paving base). The plans
we submitted with our application only gave details of the size of the
bay we wish to dig out, making no specification as to depth of
footings for retaining walls, etc.

Do we need to supply more detail to the Building Inspector and have
the work checked at various stages?

Also, any idea how deep the footings for a 1m high wall (double
skinned engineering bricks with Cotswold Stone dressing) should be?

Cheers,

Matt
dg

Your proposed work does not require building regulation approval as it is
not controlled work.

Planning dept are not interested in the depth of your foundation as it is
outside of their remit.

Foundations should be min 450mm deep, or down to suitable load bearing soil.

dg

m...