Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rockler Visit

I had some business near the local Rockler store today and dropped in for a
visit. I haven't been in there for awhile. A lot more tools there now.

When I walked in the door, therre was the big, new Delta table saw. It
looked nice and cost about $3,300. What was most interesting to me was a
signt hat screamed out, "New Unisaw BUILT IN AMERICA!"

I thought that was interesting that US manufacture was considered a
marketing point. Also, I didn't know that they still built saws here. I
thought they went offshore. I wonder if they finally figured out that many
people weren't going to buy a chinese copy of a unisaw.

Another interesting display was the Festools. Talk about getting tool envy.
I saw the Festool sliding miter saw. I looked at the price and it said $130.
I thought that this could not be right. I looked closer and someone had bent
the little sign showing the price. I straightened it out and it said $1300.
OK, that is more like it. Obviously somebody's idea of a joke. I was about
to buy it even if I already had a miter saw.

Another thing that became obvious looking at the Festool catalog. You can
spend a $1,000 or more for a basic tool. Then you can spend $20,000 for
accessories and consumables! They getcha coming and going.

I drooled a little more, grabbed a catalog and went to my next appointment.
Gotta go eat now. My honey is making up some of her world famous barbecued
chicken pizza..

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
I had some business near the local Rockler store today and dropped in for a
visit. I haven't been in there for awhile. A lot more tools there now.

When I walked in the door, therre was the big, new Delta table saw. It
looked nice and cost about $3,300. What was most interesting to me was a
signt hat screamed out, "New Unisaw BUILT IN AMERICA!"

Built in America, IIRC many of the parts are made in other counties.

[...]

Festool may be way more tool than you need as far as quality and longetivity
are concerned. I know it certainly is that way for me however I do own 4
Festool Power tools. Yesterday I sanded the face frames of an entire large
kitchen, 22 cabinets 120 grit, 150 grit, and 180 grit in about 2.5 hours and
left no dust behind during the job.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I had some business near the local Rockler store today and dropped in for a
visit. I haven't been in there for awhile. A lot more tools there now.

When I walked in the door, therre was the big, new Delta table saw. It
looked nice and cost about $3,300. What was most interesting to me was a
signt hat screamed out, "New Unisaw BUILT IN AMERICA!"

I, too suspect "BUILT" is the key word. I'll bet many of the parts
came from China. Especially castings. I also have to wonder if, at
$3,300, it is four times the saw as my eight year old Grizzly 1023S.
(OK, before you do the inflation thing on me, three+ times better than
currently priced 1023S).

When I started looking for cabinet saws 8-9 years ago I thought it was
going to be easy. I grew up around old Unisaws and figured I would
just buy one, until I saw the new ones. They weren't the same saws.
Other than looking a lot different, I hope the new Unisaw is truly a
better machine that is worth that kind of money.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 16, 9:30*am, RonB wrote:
[...]

At $ 3300.00, A Unisaur would be in the neighbourhood of a SawStop. By
all accounts an excellent saw. Then there are a few General saws to
choose from in that price-range.
There are too many other saws in that price bracket, including a
Festool plunge with table and tracks.

If I was without saw and had to make a $3K decision, I think I would
re-learn my way of doing things and go track.

Also, $3K buys a nice restorable Altendorf or SCM slider.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 16, 8:58*am, Robatoy wrote:
On Jul 16, 9:30*am, RonB wrote:

[...]

Actually, when I saw the first pictures of the new Unisaw my mind
clicked over to Craftsman of the mid-70's. That is when they started
selling gimmicks and appearance stuff and quit building a descent
grade of power tools. I know that is not appropriate for the new
Deltas (I hope) but that was an impression. Those handwheels are an
attention getter.

RonB

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Yesterday I sanded the face frames of an entire large
kitchen, 22 cabinets 120 grit, 150 grit, and 180 grit in about 2.5 hours and
left no dust behind during the job.

And the amazing thing was that the construction site fan which was
keeping us from heat stroke, and which periodically took its own rest
break due to the 106 degree temperature in central Texas, was louder by
far than the Festool "shop vac".

The combination sander and vac was pretty cool ... well, not quite
"cool", but nifty as hell.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 07:24:40 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

Yesterday I sanded the face frames of an entire large
kitchen, 22 cabinets 120 grit, 150 grit, and 180 grit in about 2.5 hours and
left no dust behind during the job.

Wow!

That got my attention.

Hmmmm....$$$$.....$$$$....hmmm....

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote in message
I had some business near the local Rockler store today and dropped in for
visit. I haven't been in there for awhile. A lot more tools there now.

When I walked in the door, therre was the big, new Delta table saw. It
looked nice and cost about $3,300. What was most interesting to me was a
signt hat screamed out, "New Unisaw BUILT IN AMERICA!"

I, too suspect "BUILT" is the key word. I'll bet many of the parts
came from China. Especially castings. I also have to wonder if, at
$3,300, it is four times the saw as my eight year old Grizzly 1023S.
(OK, before you do the inflation thing on me, three+ times better than
currently priced 1023S).

No, I think the saw is way over priced for what you are getting. It is
purdy but so is the SawStop for a few hundred more and you get a lot lot
more safety for your buck. IMHO the new Unisaw is still running 3rd place
behind the latest offferings from SawStop and Powermatic.

When I started looking for cabinet saws 8-9 years ago I thought it was
going to be easy. I grew up around old Unisaws and figured I would
just buy one, until I saw the new ones. They weren't the same saws.
Other than looking a lot different, I hope the new Unisaw is truly a
better machine that is worth that kind of money.

My money was going towards the Unisaw 10 years ago utlil the 2 dealers that
carried Delta and Jet pointed me toward the Jet and then one of the dealers
pointed out the broken trunion on the Unisaw display model. I still have
the Jet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Yesterday I sanded the face frames of an entire large
kitchen, 22 cabinets 120 grit, 150 grit, and 180 grit in about 2.5 hours
and
left no dust behind during the job.

Wow!

That got my attention.

Hmmmm....$$$$.....$$$$....hmmm....

YEAH!!!!!!

Hmmmm....$$$$.....$$$$....hmmm....

D'ju hear that Swingman? ROTFL

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edward A. Falk" wrote in message
In article
,
RonB wrote:

I, too suspect "BUILT" is the key word. I'll bet many of the parts
came from China. ..

I'd be ok with that as long as there's American quality control
involved.

Actually I think the appearance of quality control looks to be a notch up
from American, think Japanese. I honestly don't think I have seen any
American machinery look this good.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:

When I walked in the door, therre was the big, new Delta table saw. It
looked nice and cost about $3,300. What was most interesting to me was a
sign that screamed out, "New Unisaw BUILT IN AMERICA!"

I thought that was interesting that US manufacture was considered a
marketing point.

"Still"? Was it ever not a marketing point? To me, it is and always has
been a HUGE marketing point. Given a choice, I always take American made
over any other option (ok, maybe except for Japanese hand tools.)

It warms my heart to know that you can still get an American-made Delta
table saw. I'd run right out now and buy one if I didn't already have
one. And if I had $3300 to spare.

The front name Badge clearly states, MADE in the USA, of U.S. and
"foreigh" components.

So I think the badge is like TiteBond III Water proof glue, somewhat
misleading.

Hopefully like Toyota and Honda.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Yesterday I sanded the face frames of an entire large
kitchen, 22 cabinets 120 grit, 150 grit, and 180 grit in about 2.5 hours and
left no dust behind during the job.

Wow!

That got my attention.

Hmmmm....$$$$.....$$$$....hmmm....

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Here are some of those FF's that got Leon's Festool treatment

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/13525-1.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/13525-2.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/13525-3.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/13525-4.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/13525-5.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/13525-6.jpg

Leon and I were in this new residential construction all day for three
days this week, in 104 + degree heat, no AC, installing these boxes.
Photos were taken as we left late yesterday afternoon for the 150 mile
trek back to our respective shops, and the relative cool of the Gulf Coast.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Leon" wrote:

"RonB" wrote in message
[...]

Yep, I gotta agree. I was up at the Woodcraft store yesterday... big ol'
SawStop cabinet saw on display right inside the door. It was all I could do to
not drool on it... Nice piece of gear, that. Very solid and well-made. And as
soon as I saw "$3,300" in that post I thought, Why? Why spend that on a Unisaw
when you can get a SawStop for basically the same price? It's an outstanding
saw, better IMO than the Unisaw even if it did *not* have the safety feature.

SawStop is going to eat Delta for lunch in the table saw market.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

They look awesome.

(i still wish that you would not run those vertical's all the way to
the top - don't look natcheral to me :-) )

The thing that got me going was the "NO DUST" part.

I'm gonna have to take a look at these Fusstools.

You boys are rockin'!

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:

(i still wish that you would not run those vertical's all the way to
the top - don't look natcheral to me :-) )

LOL ... Yep, I agree. But, being forced to build cabinets months before
a structure even exists ain't exactly a "natcheral" endeavor, Tom

.... and individual boxes, face frames clamped and screwed together side
by side, do tend to look that way.

Not to mention - staring this in the face, with a schedule to meet and
dimensions changing with every coat of plaster:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/13525-0.jpg

.... and you do what you gotta do.

IOW, you ain't done nothing till you've tried your hand at
designing/building/hanging cabinets on the walls of a "straw bale" house!

Don't ask ... it definitely ain't "natcheral".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 17:59:39 -0500, Swingman wrote:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/13525-0.jpg

You know...just looking at that makes me start to itch.

Why would anyone want to live in a house made from stuff that god
intended for cows and horses to **** in?

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote

Yep, I gotta agree. I was up at the Woodcraft store yesterday... big ol'
SawStop cabinet saw on display right inside the door. It was all I could
do to
not drool on it... Nice piece of gear, that. Very solid and well-made. And
as
soon as I saw "$3,300" in that post I thought, Why? Why spend that on a
Unisaw
when you can get a SawStop for basically the same price? It's an
outstanding
saw, better IMO than the Unisaw even if it did *not* have the safety
feature.

SawStop is going to eat Delta for lunch in the table saw market.

What is this thing of putting a big peice of drool worthy equipment right
inside the front door? Does that loosen up the wallets or something?

I haven't seen a Sawstop up close and personal. Maybe I should wander down
to Woodcraft and take a look. Refresh my memory somebody. Where are the
Sawstops made?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

IOW, you ain't done nothing till you've tried your hand at
designing/building/hanging cabinets on the walls of a "straw bale" house!

Don't ask ... it definitely ain't "natcheral".

Of course it is natural. And organic...., and environmentally
conscious....., and sustainable....., and GREEEEEEEEEEEENNN!!!!

Pardon me while go someplace and vomit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 17:59:39 -0500, Swingman wrote:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/13525-0.jpg

You know...just looking at that makes me start to itch.

Why would anyone want to live in a house made from stuff that god
intended for cows and horses to **** in?

.... and costs approximately 30% more to build than traditional construction.

R48 insulation value is not justification enough for me.

That said, damned few people have accomplished this, and with "green
building" coming to the fore around these parts, I'm now more than
eminently qualified to get my share of the business ... if I should
chose to do so. BTDT, literally from the ground up.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 19:17:55 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

Of course it is natural. And organic...., and environmentally
conscious....., and sustainable....., and GREEEEEEEEEEEENNN!!!!

Nah, hay is green. Straw is sorta yellow brown.

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Swingman" wrote
IOW, you ain't done nothing till you've tried your hand at
designing/building/hanging cabinets on the walls of a "straw bale" house!

Don't ask ... it definitely ain't "natcheral".

Of course it is natural. And organic...., and environmentally
conscious....., and sustainable....., and GREEEEEEEEEEEENNN!!!!

Pardon me while go someplace and vomit.

Your forgot EXPENSIVE ... there is nothing in the building trade that is
both "green" and inexpensive ... nothing!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote:

You know...just looking at that makes me start to itch.

Why would anyone want to live in a house made from stuff that god
intended for cows and horses to **** in?

A few years ago, PBS covered the total construction of a "straw bale
house".

Can't remember the details, but based on costs at the time, the cost
differential was recovered in something like 5-8 years.

If I were to build today, fabrication of complete panels in a
production shop, assembled on the jobsite with a crane and crew, ala
the This Old House program, would get a very close look.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

"Tom Watson" wrote:

You know...just looking at that makes me start to itch.

Why would anyone want to live in a house made from stuff that god
intended for cows and horses to **** in?

A few years ago, PBS covered the total construction of a "straw bale
house".

Can't remember the details, but based on costs at the time, the cost
differential was recovered in something like 5-8 years.

If I were to build today, fabrication of complete panels in a production
shop, assembled on the jobsite with a crane and crew, ala the This Old
House program, would get a very close look.

Maybe even include some of Morris' solar panels?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 16, 8:54*pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" *wrote

"Tom Watson" wrote:

You know...just looking at that makes me start to itch.

Why would anyone want to live in a house made from stuff that god
intended for cows and horses to **** in?

A few years ago, PBS covered the total construction of a "straw bale
house".

Can't remember the details, but based on costs at the time, the cost
differential was recovered in something like 5-8 years.

If I were to build today, fabrication of complete panels in a production
shop, assembled on the jobsite with a crane and crew, ala the This Old
House program, would get a very close look.

Maybe even include some of Morris' solar panels?

That's a gimme for most. But Lew is in the tropics.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 17:59:39 -0500, Swingman wrote:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/13525-0.jpg

You know...just looking at that makes me start to itch.

Why would anyone want to live in a house made from stuff that god
intended for cows and horses to **** in?

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

I guess smoking in this house is out of the question!!!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Tom Watson wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 17:59:39 -0500, Swingman wrote:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/13525-0.jpg

You know...just looking at that makes me start to itch.

Why would anyone want to live in a house made from stuff that god
intended for cows and horses to **** in?

... and costs approximately 30% more to build than traditional
construction.

R48 insulation value is not justification enough for me.

That said, damned few people have accomplished this, and with "green
building" coming to the fore around these parts, I'm now more than
eminently qualified to get my share of the business ... if I should
chose to do so. BTDT, literally from the ground up.

You can actually get a building permit for this 3 little piggy construction?
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Address http://rentmyhusband.biz/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

I haven't seen a Sawstop up close and personal. Maybe I should wander
down to Woodcraft and take a look. Refresh my memory somebody. Where are
the Sawstops made?

Tie-won but engeneered in America

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
Lee Michaels wrote:
"Swingman" wrote
IOW, you ain't done nothing till you've tried your hand at
designing/building/hanging cabinets on the walls of a "straw bale"
house!

Don't ask ... it definitely ain't "natcheral".

Of course it is natural. And organic...., and environmentally
conscious....., and sustainable....., and GREEEEEEEEEEEENNN!!!!

Pardon me while go someplace and vomit.

Your forgot EXPENSIVE ... there is nothing in the building trade that is
both "green" and inexpensive ... nothing!

NOT even Red Bull!

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Lee Michaels" wrote:

What is this thing of putting a big peice of drool worthy equipment right
inside the front door? Does that loosen up the wallets or something?

:-)

I haven't seen a Sawstop up close and personal. Maybe I should wander down
to Woodcraft and take a look. Refresh my memory somebody. Where are the
Sawstops made?

Taiwan, IIRC, but I'm not sure.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 16:04:12 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Snip

They look awesome.

(i still wish that you would not run those vertical's all the way to
the top - don't look natcheral to me :-) )

The thing that got me going was the "NO DUST" part.

I'm gonna have to take a look at these Fusstools.

You boys are rockin'!

I gotta tell you, it's a slippery slope. I got the CT22 Festool Vac with
the Domino, it was recommended by Festool dealer, LOL. Then on Robatoy's
recommendation on the Festool Rotex Sander I got one to replace my 20 year
old PC right angle ROS. When I saw how much dust "there wasn't" after
sanding I naturally had to replace my PC SpeedBloc sander also I was/am
threw with sanding dust. It takes some getting used to, not seeing any
dust on the work and the paper looking brand new when it is worn out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote:

Maybe even include some of Morris' solar panels?

Especially since in the floor hydronic heating would be specified.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

You know...just looking at that makes me start to itch.

Why would anyone want to live in a house made from stuff that god
intended for cows and horses to **** in?

A few years ago, PBS covered the total construction of a "straw bale
house".

Isn't straw a mold magnet?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:

Maybe even include some of Morris' solar panels?

I like the way you think!

With R-48 insulation, it wouldn't take much panel area to keep the place
cozy all through the winter - and since the panels operate in the 110F
temperature range (slightly higher temperatures at higher altitudes - to
a max operating temperature of 125F at 5,000 feet) there'd be no fire
hazard from the heating system.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 18:20:26 -0700, evodawg
wrote:

You can actually get a building permit for this 3 little piggy construction?

And a construction/mortgage loan?

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
The thing that got me going was the "NO DUST" part.
I'm gonna have to take a look at these Fusstools.

In the vein of dust free, you should have a look at Festool's website. They
have a video of a router with an attached Festool vacuum cutting a dado and
there's very little dust to be seen.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

You can actually get a building permit for this 3 little piggy
construction?

And a construction/mortgage loan?

Apparently it's covered in the International Building Code so neither
permits nor loans should be an issue in areas where that code applies.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
They don't last long.

Your ignorance is showing ...

Martin

Rockler 10% off DGDevin Woodworking 16 February 25th 09 02:36 PM
Shopping at Rockler. Lou Woodworking 17 September 14th 08 12:59 PM
everything on sale at Rockler RayV Woodworking 11 May 20th 07 04:38 PM
Anyone used these Rockler clamps? Toller Woodworking 8 January 3rd 06 11:50 PM
Rockler Ron Woodworking 7 January 18th 04 11:35 PM