Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Rockler Visit

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
I had some business near the local Rockler store today and dropped in for a
visit. I haven't been in there for awhile. A lot more tools there now.

When I walked in the door, therre was the big, new Delta table saw. It
looked nice and cost about $3,300. What was most interesting to me was a
signt hat screamed out, "New Unisaw BUILT IN AMERICA!"

Built in America, IIRC many of the parts are made in other counties.

I thought that was interesting that US manufacture was considered a
marketing point. Also, I didn't know that they still built saws here. I
thought they went offshore. I wonder if they finally figured out that
many people weren't going to buy a chinese copy of a unisaw.

Another interesting display was the Festools. Talk about getting tool
envy. I saw the Festool sliding miter saw. I looked at the price and it
said $130. I thought that this could not be right. I looked closer and
someone had bent the little sign showing the price. I straightened it out
and it said $1300. OK, that is more like it. Obviously somebody's idea of
a joke. I was about to buy it even if I already had a miter saw.

Another thing that became obvious looking at the Festool catalog. You can
spend a $1,000 or more for a basic tool. Then you can spend $20,000 for
accessories and consumables! They getcha coming and going.

Festool may be way more tool than you need as far as quality and longetivity
are concerned. I know it certainly is that way for me however I do own 4
Festool Power tools. Yesterday I sanded the face frames of an entire large
kitchen, 22 cabinets 120 grit, 150 grit, and 180 grit in about 2.5 hours and
left no dust behind during the job.