Posted to rec.woodworking
Lou Lou is offline

Default Shopping at Rockler.

If your anything like me, (and most people are not), you probably get
emails from Rockler about specials. I thought, what the heck I could
use this, and proceeded to order something. I get to the checkout and
ran through the numbers. They are charging me 10% for sales tax. If I
buy here it's 6.5%. On top of which, they where charging me sales tax
on shipping and handling. I don't recall that being legal.
I emailed them and told them "no thank you". Has anyone else noticed
this?
Lou
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lou" wrote in message
If your anything like me, (and most people are not), you probably get
emails from Rockler about specials. I thought, what the heck I could
use this, and proceeded to order something. I get to the checkout and
ran through the numbers. They are charging me 10% for sales tax. If I
buy here it's 6.5%. On top of which, they where charging me sales tax
on shipping and handling. I don't recall that being legal.
I emailed them and told them "no thank you". Has anyone else noticed
this?
Lou

In Texas S& H is taxable, it is a taxable service.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Lou" wrote in message
If your anything like me, (and most people are not), you probably get
emails from Rockler about specials. I thought, what the heck I could
use this, and proceeded to order something. I get to the checkout and
ran through the numbers. They are charging me 10% for sales tax. If I
buy here it's 6.5%. On top of which, they where charging me sales tax
on shipping and handling. I don't recall that being legal.
I emailed them and told them "no thank you". Has anyone else noticed
this?
Lou

I ordered some hinges from Rockler and several days later realized that
I needed another set. I ordered another set.
Several days later I decided to check my order. Hadn't been shipped yet.
Next day, I checked again. *BOTH* orders were shipped that same day at
the same time. But. .......I was charged shipping for 2 separate
orders. I was irritated that it took so long to ship the first order.
I was ****ed that I was charged 2 separate shipping charges for a
shipment that could have included both orders.
I won't say that I'll never order from Rockler again but it will have to
be for something available nowhere else.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 11, 11:53*am, "Max" wrote:
"Lou" wrote in message

[...]

Most of the order fulfillment process is almost completely automated,
so most likely the only human logic being applied to your situation is
your own. I don't think you can expect a company the size of Rockler
to enact a system like you're talking about. I mean, you made 2
distinct orders, and they shipped you 2 orders.

Did you try calling them and asking them to combine your two orders or
some other accommodation? I wouldn't blame the company for doing what
you paid them to do, personally.

-Nathan
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 11, 11:53 am, "Max" wrote:

I ordered some hinges from Rockler and several days later realized that
I needed another set. I ordered another set.
Several days later I decided to check my order. Hadn't been shipped yet.
Next day, I checked again. *BOTH* orders were shipped that same day at
the same time. But. .......I was charged shipping for 2 separate
orders. I was irritated that it took so long to ship the first order.
I was ****ed that I was charged 2 separate shipping charges for a
shipment that could have included both orders.
I won't say that I'll never order from Rockler again but it will have to
be for something available nowhere else.

You placed two separate orders, agreed to pay two shipping charges and
now are mad about it. If you had called them or talked to their live
help on the website they probably would have modified the original
order for you no problem.

They have been slower getting things out the door lately than they
used to be. Woodcraft usually ships the same day.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 06:21:51 -0700 (PDT), Lou
wrote:

If your anything like me, (and most people are not), you probably get
emails from Rockler about specials. I thought, what the heck I could
use this, and proceeded to order something. I get to the checkout and
ran through the numbers. They are charging me 10% for sales tax. If I
buy here it's 6.5%. On top of which, they where charging me sales tax
on shipping and handling. I don't recall that being legal.
I emailed them and told them "no thank you". Has anyone else noticed
this?
Lou

When you buy from a company that has an office or store in your state,
you pay sales tax. Whenever you buy you must consider the cost out of
your pocket and the reputation of the seller. You should be only
paying your state's sales tax. You're fortunate with 6.5%, I pay
9.75% and 9% on food, the highest in the nation, thanks Tennessee. I
have purchased items from Rockler in the past without any
issues/complaints.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"N Hurst" wrote in message
On Sep 11, 11:53 am, "Max" wrote:
"Lou" wrote in message

[...]

You're right of course. It's all about customer service.
I shouldn't blame Rockler for having a system that considers efficiency
above customer service; after all, it's the bottom line that counts.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message

"Lou" wrote in message
[...]

There is a good chance your order was pulled, packed ,and sealed up when you
placed your second order. In many cases the package sits until the carrier
actually start moving it. The retailer is not going to reopen an order and
add to it. Once the package is sealed up the retailer considers the package
gone whether it is still waiting to be picked up by the carrier or not.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message
You're right of course. It's all about customer service.
I shouldn't blame Rockler for having a system that considers efficiency
above customer service; after all, it's the bottom line that counts.

Max

While it is bothersome, I cannot name any sizeable company that does not
fill the order as Rockler does. I know that 30 years ago that this was the
case when I was ordering from many vendors.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 11, 12:08 pm, N Hurst wrote:
On Sep 11, 11:53 am, "Max" wrote:

"Lou" wrote in message

[...]

I've done just that. Part of an order was backordered, and they were
happy to add to the box for me - no extra shipping charge.

shelly

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" writes:

While it is bothersome, I cannot name any sizeable company that does not
fill the order as Rockler does. I know that 30 years ago that this was the
case when I was ordering from many vendors.

Amazon lets you modify an order that has not been shipped. But if you
do, you have to wait all over again.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message

"N Hurst" wrote in message
On Sep 11, 11:53 am, "Max" wrote:
"Lou" wrote in message

[...]

Sorry Max, that is a really dumb, self serving statement -

Customer service is the reason why they use automated processes. Would you
rather they check each order manually and delay the process just so they can
catch YOUR screwups?

That's highly unreasonable.

Vic

Posted to rec.woodworking

"N Hurst" wrote in message
.... I mean, you made 2
distinct orders, and they shipped you 2 orders.

Did you try calling them and asking them to combine your two orders or
some other accommodation? I wouldn't blame the company for doing what
you paid them to do, personally.

-Nathan

I've often placed an order and later, prior to the first being
shipped, placed an order for additional quantity of that item or for
additional items. Every time that's happened, and with ever company
I've dealt with, a call or email to customer service has met with
cooperation a willingness to merge the orders into one shipment. The
only times that hasn't worked has been when the original order was
already too far along in the shipping process to be recalled.

Doesn't always work, but always worth contacting the vendor.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

On top of which, they where charging me sales tax
on shipping and handling. I don't recall that being legal.
I emailed them and told them "no thank you". Has anyone else noticed
this?
Lou

Some states require that you pay sales tax on the shipping and handling.
State laws vary on what is and is not covered.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 11, 2:08*pm, "Max" wrote:
"N Hurst" wrote in message

On Sep 11, 11:53 am, "Max" wrote:

"Lou" wrote in message

[...]

Max- Hide quoted text -

The cost of having a human check for the scenario you encountered or
adding some specialized module to the automated software is not
trivial, especially for a smallish company like Rockler. That cost
would be reflected in higher prices for everything they sell. In your
situation, you should have KNOWN that you had to call them up if you
didn't want to pay two shipping charges. That's just the nature of the
beast.

There's a trade-off for the convenience of internet purchases: no
personal attention. If you want personal attention, go to the retail
store.

Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article 2e4c45c7-cf99-47c9-93b9-
, says...
On Sep 11, 11:53 am, "Max" wrote:

[...]

In the local store last week (Cambridge, MA), I overheard a couple of
employees (one of them might have been the manager) complaining about
how slow it had been recently to get new stock and special orders
shipped. They were going to be taking inventory the next day and it
might have been related (Rockler trying to minimize the stock on hand
prior to the inventory), so the bottle-neck might have cleared up by
now. Or maybe inventory had nothing to do with it, and their having
some other problems. (I hope not; often this kind of problem is an
early symptom of a long-term decline.)

--
John