Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Banes

Default A Kudo for Rockler

Text below is from email thread. Cylinder nuts arrived this weekend
while I was trying to kill ducks. No charge.

Thank you Rockler support - well done.

Usual disclaimers on association with vendor.

Tom

Tom

believe I have a couple of these I can get to you if you forward
your
mailing address.

Steve
Technical Support
Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

Tom Banes 11/20/2005 4:26:01 PM

I lucked into a used Sjoberg bench but when I picked it up two of the
"threaded cylinder" nuts were missing. I've used 8mm standard nuts
as a temporary expedient.

Do you know of a source for these threaded cylinders, as the nuts I'm
using don't provide the same connective power?

Thanks for any help.

Regards.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Tom Banes" wrote in message

Thank you Rockler support - well done.

Not surprised. IME, the local Rockler store here in Houston is equally
helpful, and it is a pleasure to do business with them.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
FunkySpaceCowboy

I agree about the Houston Rockler, next to the wreck[1] they've been my
best source of first hand information since I started making sawdust
this spring. Everytime I've been in there I've walked away thinking
"Now that's how to run a business"

They were far more helpful than the folks at Hardwood Lumber when I
needed help selecting wood for a project when I didn't have a clue
about what would be appropriate for the project and for the tools in my
slowly growing shop.

Cheers,

Josh

---------------
[1] Love the archives, sooo many of my questions have been asked and
answered here over the years I hardly need to post :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"FunkySpaceCowboy" wrote in

They were far more helpful than the folks at Hardwood Lumber when I
needed help selecting wood for a project when I didn't have a clue
about what would be appropriate for the project and for the tools in my
slowly growing shop.

If that's Clark's, you could be right, as it is more a place for those in
the "trade" ... some places are just that way.

However, if you can talk-the-talk/walk-the-walk, it can be a treasure trove
of hard to find woods in this area. Although their prices are high, I will
say that I generally have less waste when dealing with their woods, so it
often evens out in the end ... and I like the fact that can take my time and
go through _big_ stacks for just what I need, which may account for some of
that lack of waste.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
FunkySpaceCowboy

Swingman wrote:

If that's Clark's, you could be right, as it is more a place for those in
the "trade" ... some places are just that way.

Yeah, it was Clark's, over on 5 1/2. I did get the impression that it
was mostly for people who knew exactly what they wanted - which isn't a
bad thing just not what I was expecting on that day.

However, if you can talk-the-talk/walk-the-walk, it can be a treasure trove
of hard to find woods in this area.

The selection was just amazing and I can't complain about the quality
of the wood I went home with -- about 4 BF each of quilted maple and
bloodwood I want to use in some xmas presents this year -- very clean
and I don't see more than a few inches that I can't use (or try to use
:-) ) My only problem was getting my noob questions answered. I'll be
back I'm sure, but only after doing all my homework ahead of time.

Any comments on Houston Hardwoods off of 290? They are next on my list
of local suppliers to check out.

Cheers,

Josh

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"FunkySpaceCowboy" wrote in message

Any comments on Houston Hardwoods off of 290? They are next on my list
of local suppliers to check out.

Certainly worth checking out, IMO, but not much cheaper than Clark's for
what I was looking for the last time I went ... quarter sawn white oak ...
and the selection was smaller, but that may not be the case at all times as
the stock at Clark's fluctuates also.

A lot of Houston woodworkers seem to prefer Masons on Tanner, between 290
and Beltway 8. We have a commercial account at Clarks, so I tend to
gravitate in that direction strictly for the ease of doing business, not to
mention the usual traffic hassles and the fact that my coonass visa is not
stamped for outside-the-loop travel.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
New Wave Dave

"Swingman" wrote in message
A lot of Houston woodworkers seem to prefer Masons on Tanner, between
290 and Beltway 8. We have a commercial account at Clarks, so I tend
to gravitate in that direction strictly for the ease of doing
business, not to mention the usual traffic hassles and the fact that
my coonass visa is not stamped for outside-the-loop travel.

I do 98% of my bidness with Mason's but then, I live at 290 and
Beltway 8 so they are convenient.
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"FunkySpaceCowboy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Any comments on Houston Hardwoods off of 290? They are next on my list
of local suppliers to check out.

Cheers,

Consider Hardwood Products on the West Belt. Closed on weekends but they
have reasonable prices. They are on the south bound side just south of
Hammerly. Large Brown building.

Posted to rec.woodworking
FunkySpaceCowboy

Yeah that closed on the weekends thing is a bit of problem for me since
that pretty much means taking the day off from work, noticed Masons was
only M-F also so it'll be a while before I have a chance to check
either of them out. Hmm though I do have a handful of sick days I need
to take before the end of the year...

cough cough I feel a bit of the 72 hour bird flu comining on, it
wouldn't be smart to go to work like this cough cough :-)

Cheers,

Josh