Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rockler Visit

On Jul 29, 7:46*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

They're a dying breed, Leon.. literally dying....

My neighbor here in Houston went with wife for a family reunion in Michigan.
Many of her relatives have worked for the auto industry up there for many
years and they are all hurting. * They all admitted that they saw this
coming for many years and were not blaming anyone as they had it way too
good for far too long.

A customer of mine ( a countertop for his 'cottage' on the Canadian
side) is a bankruptcy lawyer in Michigan.
I listened and was gobsmacked by some of the stories.
I had NO idea that there had been such catastrophic damage done in the
last 8 years.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

They're a dying breed, Leon.. literally dying....

My neighbor here in Houston went with wife for a family reunion in Michigan.
Many of her relatives have worked for the auto industry up there for many
years and they are all hurting. They all admitted that they saw this
coming for many years and were not blaming anyone as they had it way too
good for far too long.

1973 ... there were more NY, NJ, MI, FL, and OH plates during rush hour
traffic in Houston then there were TX plates.

The more things change ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

1973 ... there were more NY, NJ, MI, FL, and OH plates during rush
hour traffic in Houston then there were TX plates.

Along about that time, spent a few days in Houston calling on the
engineering houses chasing some jobs.

Damn the pickings were easy.

Thought for a minute I had arrived with a carpet bag.

I swear, had I spent another week there, might still be in Houston
rather than SoCal.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

It tells me that the Honda and Toyota could afford more R&D and better
quality products because employee benefits were not choking the ever
living day lights out of all the profit. 5 years ago it was reported
that GM was paying in excess of $3K per car built just to pay for employee
benefits, that did not include their pay.

Health care benefits cost the auto industry so much money that earlier
this year I heard someone refer to GM as a health care provider that happens
to make cars.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

They're a dying breed, Leon.. literally dying....

My neighbor here in Houston went with wife for a family reunion in
Michigan. Many of her relatives have worked for the auto industry up
there for many years and they are all hurting. They all admitted that
they saw this coming for many years and were not blaming anyone as they
had it way too good for far too long.

1973 ... there were more NY, NJ, MI, FL, and OH plates during rush hour
traffic in Houston then there were TX plates.

The more things change ...

I remember the joke, "Will the last person leaving Michigan please turn
out the lights!"

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave in Houston" wrote:

I remember the joke, "Will the last person leaving Michigan
please turn out the lights!"

Actually that was Seattle.

They turned out the the lights on Detroit with the riots.

They just never turned them back on.

40+ years later, they are still off.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
LD LD is offline

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
"Dave in Houston" wrote:

I remember the joke, "Will the last person leaving Michigan please
turn out the lights!"

Actually that was Seattle.

On a billboard in 1971. Boeing had been badly hit by cancellation of the
SST. Company I worked for in Oregon got hit by cancellation of a Boeing
contract. Reverberated all over the PNW.

They turned out the the lights on Detroit with the riots.

They just never turned them back on.

I lived in Toledo at the time and a friend bought a watch reputedly stolen
during the riots: an "Eglin" .

40+ years later, they are still off.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

They're a dying breed, Leon.. literally dying....

My neighbor here in Houston went with wife for a family reunion in
Michigan. Many of her relatives have worked for the auto industry up
there for many years and they are all hurting. They all admitted that
they saw this coming for many years and were not blaming anyone as they
had it way too good for far too long.

1973 ... there were more NY, NJ, MI, FL, and OH plates during rush hour
traffic in Houston then there were TX plates.

I remember a bumper sticker that was unique to those northern license
plates. Last one out, turn out the lights!

Posted to rec.woodworking

But do Honda and Toyota pay family health insurance even after the employee
dies?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

They're a dying breed, Leon.. literally dying....

My neighbor here in Houston went with wife for a family reunion in
Michigan. Many of her relatives have worked for the auto industry up
there for many years and they are all hurting. They all admitted that
they saw this coming for many years and were not blaming anyone as they
had it way too good for far too long.

1973 ... there were more NY, NJ, MI, FL, and OH plates during rush hour
traffic in Houston then there were TX plates.

I remember a bumper sticker that was unique to those northern license
plates. Last one out, turn out the lights!

I think the "NATIVE TEXAN" bumper sticker was born as a result of the
northern invasion.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
But do Honda and Toyota pay family health insurance even after the employee
dies?

That I don't know but I found this interesting:

"Toyota Motor Corporation’s health care costs have doubled over the past
five years to more than $11,000 a year per U.S. worker. In its newest
plant, The Detroit News reports,(2) Toyota has taken a new approach,
building a clinic at the factory that provides services, including
vision checks, dental care, laboratory tests, physical therapy, and even
pediatric care. Companies adopting such practices spend more up front
for primary care and drugs, but the cost is more than offset by a drop
in costly hospitalization and specialty care expenses. On-site clinics
are also expected to reduce absenteeism. Moreover, Toyota clinic
physicians will not be remunerated on the basis of how many patients
they see––the U.S. health care system’s prevailing payment structure—but
rather encourage more time with doctors."

http://www.kltprc.net/horizon/Chpt_15.htm

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
[...]

kinda puts paid to the excuse 'too sick to go to work' on monday mornings.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
[...]

Wow. What's next? I owe my soul to the company store?

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 30, 11:16*am, "charlie" wrote:
"Nova" wrote in message

Leon wrote:
[...]

Seeing as they are on the company's payroll, somebody's interests will
be served more? The patient?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote:

"Toyota Motor Corporation’s health care costs have doubled over the
past five years to more than $11,000 a year per U.S. worker. In its
newest plant, The Detroit News reports,(2) Toyota has taken a new
approach, building a clinic at the factory that provides services,
including vision checks, dental care, laboratory tests, physical
therapy, and even pediatric care.

That's how Kaiser got started in WWII.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave in Houston wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message

It tells me that the Honda and Toyota could afford more R&D and better
quality products because employee benefits were not choking the ever
living day lights out of all the profit. 5 years ago it was reported
that GM was paying in excess of $3K per car built just to pay for
employee benefits, that did not include their pay.

Health care benefits cost the auto industry so much money that earlier
this year I heard someone refer to GM as a health care provider that
happens to make cars.

Sounds like the guy who took over GM as CEO (before Obama [who doesn't
want to run the car companies] fired him.

He made the comment that he came to GM expecting to run a car company.
When he got there, he realized he was running a pension plan that built
cars.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

scritch wrote:
Want to live and work in
Mexico or China?

Not quite yet!

--
Jack
Using FREE News Server: http://www.eternal-september.org/

Rockler 10% off DGDevin Woodworking 16 February 25th 09 02:36 PM
Shopping at Rockler. Lou Woodworking 17 September 14th 08 12:59 PM
everything on sale at Rockler RayV Woodworking 11 May 20th 07 04:38 PM
Anyone used these Rockler clamps? Toller Woodworking 8 January 3rd 06 11:50 PM
Rockler Ron Woodworking 7 January 18th 04 11:35 PM