JMWEBER987

Default OT - OLDER THAN DIRT QUIZ - additional memories

Hopalong Cassidy White ten gallon hats

The Hopalong memory made me smile and glance up at the Hopalong Cassidy mug I
got as a child. Has Hoppy himself on one side wearing that hat and pointing
two six shooters. Reverse is a cowboy on a horse hearding a steer. The Name
Hopalong Cassidy spelled out in rope.
Mike in Arkansas
Bay Area Dave

did you collect the stickers at the ends of wonder bread loaves? I
remember they had various stickers, but can't remember if by collecting
them we got a prize or what.

dave

Dave Fleming wrote:

Railway Express Agency

Teaberry Gum

Walker Gordon Certified Raw Milk

Little Loaves of Wonder Bread handed ( free ) out at lunch time in
school

Nickle rides on the Staten Island Ferry. The well known 'Submarine
Races' if ya folla? :-)))))))

The Blizzard of 1949 in NYC.

Magnavox Solid Mahogony Console Radio with built in turntable to play
78s and 33 RPM records before 45s came on the scene
( wood topic )

Dennis James and the Friday night wrestling matches from Madison
Square Garden on the 9 inch Dumont TV with the big hunk of magnifying
glass/plastic in front of the screen so more than one person could
watch it.

TV on only from 3 PM to 12 AM and just 2 or 3 stations

50 Cartoons and 2 Features at the local 'itch' aka movie house over
Christmas and Easter breaks for 15 cents and 5 cents for a jumbo bag
of popcorn all purchased with soda pop bottle return deposits.

4 Wheel Roller Skates with steel ballbearing replaceable wheels and
hold on clips that didn't work with PF Flyer Sneakers only leather or
'Biltrite' soled shoes.

Coal trucks with high hoppers to allow the delivery man to place a big
wooden barrel under the chute to roll it across the driveway to the
house's coal chute. Chain driven trucks.

Schmoos

Hopalong Cassidy White ten gallon hats

The Great Guildersleeve/Fred Allan/ I Love A Mystery

Air Raid Nights when the big liners like the Queen Mary were leaving
NY Harbor loaded with troops for the Great Crusade aka WW II. The Belt
Parkway closed to traffic because of the wake waves being about 8 feet
high and flooding the Parkway along the Hudson River Narrows. The ship
was already coming up to speed as it passed through the submarine nets
across the entrance to NY harbor.

Butcher shops that gave the kids a hunk of bologna when shopping with
Mom. Or "would Mrs. Fleming like a nice brisket to take home tonight?'
Briskets were free with an order in Irish neighborhoods and went
immediately into the brine barrel in the cellar actually a couple of
barrels the small pickel size.
Tales of a Boatbuilder Apprentice
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/djf3rd/

Joe Woody Woodpecker

Default OT - Older Than Dirt Quiz - Part II

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0My mother sent me this a few days back.
And, I can remembember every damn thing on the quiz. What the Hell
happened? I shouldn't even be 30 yet. Damn.
Older Than Dirt Quiz:

Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about!
Ratings at the bottom.
=A0=A0 1. Blackjack chewing gum
=A0=A0 2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water =A0=A0
3. Candy cigarettes
=A0=A0 4. Soda pop machines that dispensed bottles =A0=A0 5. Coffee
shops with tableside jukeboxes
=A0=A0 6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
=A0=A0 7. Party lines
=A0=A0 8. Newsreels before the movie
=A0=A0 9. P.F. Flyers
=A0=A0 10. Butch wax
=A0=A0 11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (Olive-6933) =A0
=A0 12. Peashooters
=A0=A0 13. Howdy Doody
=A0=A0 14. 45 RPM records
=A0=A0 15. S&H Green Stamps
=A0=A0 16. Hi-fi's
=A0=A0 17. Metal ice trays with lever
=A0=A0 18. Mimeograph paper
=A0=A0 19. Blue flashbulb
=A0=A0 20. Packards
=A0=A0 21. Roller skate keys
=A0=A0 22. Cork popguns
=A0=A0 23. Drive-ins
=A0=A0 24. Studebakers
=A0=A0 25. Wash tub wringers
JOAT

Oh yea!!!

26. Slide Rules
27. 78 RPM records and players
28. aviator caps
29. fender skirts
30. pettie coats
31. Saturday moring cartoon serials
(like micky mouse, ruff & ready
21. fly paper
33. lucky strip green
34. turtle neck sweaters
35. double root beer floats
36. chocolate coke
37. red & blue birch beer
38. grandmother clocks
39. granddaughter clocks
40. penny candy
41. penny loafers
42. punch out candy contests
43. the ice cream man
44. moon hub caps
45. weekly comic (funny) books
46. pop botttle deposits
47. ceiing fans in stores for AC
48. penny parking meters
49. CB radios
50. ditch day at school (speficed day everyone cut classes)
52. taps on shoes
53. Caption midnight or Jack Armstrong
54. Roy Rogers horse
55. Blue swede shoes
56. cuff links
57. wash boards
58. sky king
59. rin-tin-tin
60. mighty mouse
61. car hops with roller skates
62. McDonalds first hamburger
63. Eight track tapes
64. 4 track tapes
65. reel to reel tape recorders
66. 2" VCR tape & recorders
67. knock hocky
68. Summer recreation at school
69. marbles
70. jacks
71. Buster Keaton
72. going around dizzy block
73. Buck Rogers
74. Fibber McGee's closet
75. Tennessee Ernie & Mr. Ford
76. Red Skelton
77. The Keystone Cops
78. Carom
79. rubber snow boots
80. Dick Tracy
81. . I remember the first digital watches were LED type
82 B&W TV
83 fountain pens
84 ink wells & pens & blotters
85. sneaking into the drive-in
86. Celluloid
87. Bakelite
88. Mica (Ising glass in coal stove door)
89. Solar heat
90. Bed warmers
91. hot water bottle
92. Flappers & bobbed hair
93. Poodle skirts
94. Raggity Ann & Andy
95. Jimmy Rogers & Hank Williams
96. Zane Grey
97. Buddy L
98. Steam Locomotives
99. Erector set
100 tTnker Toys, Lincoln Logs & American Bricks
101. yo-yos

If you remembered! 0-25 =3D You're still young =A0=A0
If you remembered 25-50 =3D You are getting older
If you remembered 51-75 =3D Don't tell your age, If you remembered 76-101
=3D You're older than dirt!

Woody

Check out my Web Page at:

http://community-1.webtv.net/Woodwor...workerJoesInfo

Where you will find:

******** How My Shop Works ******** 5-21-03

* * * Build a $20 DC Separator Can Lid. 1-14-03
* * * DC Relay Box Building Plans. 1-14-03
* * * The Bad Air Your Breath Everyday.1-14-03
* * * What is a Real Woodworker? 2-8-03
* * * Murphy's Woodworking Definitions. 2-8-03
* * * Murphy's Woodworking Laws. 4-6-03
* * * What is the true meaning of life? 1-14-03
* * * Woodworker Shop Signs. 2-8-03

Lazarus Long

Default OT - OLDER THAN DIRT QUIZ

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 03:00:07 GMT, "Mark Jerde"
wrote:

Henry E Schaffer wrote:

Am I the only one giggling about "Lazurus Long" mentioning being
old?

Nope. g SWMBO and I have been together since 1982 but I sometimes think
about Lazurus' assertion that the max length of any relationship is 20
years.... g

(Lots of 40+ 50+ anniversary marriages amongst my ancestors. I'm not
planning to skip... )

-- Mark

I've been married 22 years now. But I will say the dynamics of our
relationship is different now than in the beginning. Not bad, just
different.

Apparently there's a lot of Robert Heinlein fans out there.

Charlie Self

JOAT writes:

The exchange musta seen Charlie comin'. I usta pay a dime a pack
in the PX. But, now that I think on it, coulda been just oversea, I
spent about half my time out of the country.

Overseas escaped some kind of tax. Our guys lined up when a ship was nearby, as
they could go aboard and fill a duffle bag at 80 cents a carton. Take those
into town and sell them for 1.50, and hope to HELL you didn't get caught.

Charlie Self
"If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave
it to. " Dorothy Parker

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html
Tim Douglass

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:42:59 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

When VA does the 75-cents-a-pack tax hike, that's it. I've made up my mind.
No damn way I'm paying $35 a carton to give myself emphyszema.

It's gonna be soooooo hard to roll off those boring midnight miles without
my smokes though. I'll probably gain 250 pounds.

I didn't gain much weight when I quit, but I still don't have any
fingernails. Started chewing them to give me something to do with my
hands and now I can't break *that* habit. Oh, well. I don't think that
fingernails are a health hazard.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Mark Jerde

Tim Douglass wrote:

I didn't gain much weight when I quit, but I still don't have any
fingernails. Started chewing them to give me something to do with my
hands and now I can't break *that* habit. Oh, well. I don't think that
fingernails are a health hazard.

Mine are today. ;-) Kitchen drain clogged. A bottle of goop & 24 hours
did no good so I snaked it with my 25' snake. That didn't clear it so I
rented a 50'. Fortunately that cleared the clog. I washed my hands like
Hawkeye & Trapper John on MASH but they're still nasty looking. No way I'm
chewing any fingernails.

-- Mark

Mark Hopkins

Clackers. (glass balls on a string hung from a ring)

"Joe "Woody" Woodpecker" wrote in message
My mother sent me this a few days back.
And, I can remembember every damn thing on the quiz. What the Hell
happened? I shouldn't even be 30 yet. Damn.
Older Than Dirt Quiz:

Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about!
Ratings at the bottom.
1. Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed bottles 5. Coffee
shops with tableside jukeboxes
6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines
8. Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butch wax
11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (Olive-6933)
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15. S&H Green Stamps
16. Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19. Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
[...]

If you remembered! 0-25 = You're still young
If you remembered 25-50 = You are getting older
If you remembered 51-75 = Don't tell your age, If you remembered 76-101
= You're older than dirt!

Woody

Check out my Web Page at:

http://community-1.webtv.net/Woodwor...workerJoesInfo

Where you will find:

******** How My Shop Works ******** 5-21-03

* * * Build a $20 DC Separator Can Lid. 1-14-03
* * * DC Relay Box Building Plans. 1-14-03
* * * The Bad Air Your Breath Everyday.1-14-03
* * * What is a Real Woodworker? 2-8-03
* * * Murphy's Woodworking Definitions. 2-8-03
* * * Murphy's Woodworking Laws. 4-6-03
* * * What is the true meaning of life? 1-14-03
* * * Woodworker Shop Signs. 2-8-03

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 18:26:19 GMT, "Jon Endres, PE"
t brought forth from
the murky depths:

"Henry E Schaffer" wrote in message
Lazarus Long wrote:
I got 20. I'm older than dirt and feel like it today.

Am I the only one giggling about "Lazurus Long" mentioning being old?

Nope. I thought that was kinda weird as soon as I read it.

Gotta dig "Methuselah's Children" back out of the bookshelf and reread it.

It's a good reread. I've reread most of Heinlein, Asimov, and Clarke
this past year and now I've started reading Larry Niven's many books.
"Ringworld" and "The Ringworld Engineers" were GREAT and now I'm on
"The Integral Trees" from the Smoke Ring series. Faskinatin'!

Reading is the 2nd best thing you can do in bed.

Please return Stewardess to her original upright position.
--------------------------------------
http://www.diversify.com Tagline-based T-shirts!
Larry Blanchard

In article , Larry Jaques
says...

Lazarus Long wrote:
I got 20. I'm older than dirt and feel like it today.
Am I the only one giggling about "Lazurus Long" mentioning being old?

Nope. I thought that was kinda weird as soon as I read it.

Gotta dig "Methuselah's Children" back out of the bookshelf and reread it.

It's a good reread. I've reread most of Heinlein, Asimov, and Clarke
this past year and now I've started reading Larry Niven's many books.
"Ringworld" and "The Ringworld Engineers" were GREAT and now I'm on
"The Integral Trees" from the Smoke Ring series. Faskinatin'!

One of my Xmas presents was Pratchett's "The Last Hero" - an illustrated
Pratchett! My wife said I laughed out loud the whole time I originally
read it (from the library), so she thought I'd like to have my own copy.
I just finished reading it again - still laughing.

Where else can you find Prometheus, an aging "Cohen" the barbarian, the
gods on Mt Olympus, and Leonardo daVinci all parodied at once?

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Larry Blanchard

In article , Dave Fleming
says...
Little Loaves of Wonder Bread handed ( free ) out at lunch time in
school

The Duncan yo-yo man?

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?
Mark Hopkins

Try some mayo or at the worst some bacon grease. Both work like a charm for
stubborn grime. Mayo works really well when you work on a vehicle and get
your hands greasy... Transmission fluid has a detergent effect also.

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
Tim Douglass wrote:

I didn't gain much weight when I quit, but I still don't have any
fingernails. Started chewing them to give me something to do with my
hands and now I can't break *that* habit. Oh, well. I don't think that
fingernails are a health hazard.

Mine are today. ;-) Kitchen drain clogged. A bottle of goop & 24 hours
did no good so I snaked it with my 25' snake. That didn't clear it so I
rented a 50'. Fortunately that cleared the clog. I washed my hands like
Hawkeye & Trapper John on MASH but they're still nasty looking. No way

I'm
chewing any fingernails.

-- Mark

Charlie Self

Larry Blanchard writes:

The Duncan yo-yo man?

Wow. That's grade school stuff. I bet I hadn't thought of that guy in something
like 30-35 years, at least.

Today, they'd probably arrest him as a potential child molester, always around
showing kids tricks and helping them practice the tricks they always knew.
Always around at least for a few days.

Charlie Self
"If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave
it to. " Dorothy Parker

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html
Charlie Self

Larry Blanchard responds:

In my case, Jack Armstrong, All American Boy! The ring sucked. I never did

see
it glow.

Maybe it was Jack Armstrong. I do remember I had to be in a dark room to
see the sparks. To be more accurate, the fission tracks. Mine wasn't
supposed to "glow".

Glow. Well, hell, that was well over 55 years ago, so I probably don't have
that clear a memory, but as I recall, you're right. But it still didn't show a
sign of life.

Charlie Self
"If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave
it to. " Dorothy Parker

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html
Doug Winterburn

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 11:18:18 -0800, wrote:

[snip]

4 Wheel Roller Skates with steel ballbearing replaceable wheels and
hold on clips that didn't work with PF Flyer Sneakers only leather or
'Biltrite' soled shoes.

Coal trucks with high hoppers to allow the delivery man to place a big
wooden barrel under the chute to roll it across the driveway to the
house's coal chute. Chain driven trucks.

Schmoos

Hopalong Cassidy White ten gallon hats

and you just had to get your picture taken on that pony while dressed up
as Hopalong, Roy, Gene, Lone, Tom, Cisco or who ever the hell it was.

-Doug

Silvan

Charlie Self wrote:

the hose after fueling copters. It would not only take hair off your leg,
it would leave you with a really nasty red blotch. But that was AvGas,
maybe 125+ octane, IIRC.

The fuel sold for that purpose will do the same thing too, FWIW.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

Dave Fleming wrote:

Teaberry Gum

They still sell that.

It was cool... On a recent Scout camping trip, we found teaberries for
real. I hadn't had a teaberry in years!

They taste just like the gum, only pulpier.

Magnavox Solid Mahogony Console Radio with built in turntable to play
78s and 33 RPM records before 45s came on the scene
( wood topic )

How about those old ultrasonic remote controls? My aunt had a console TV
radio/hi fi about the size of a battleship, with around 30,000 vacuum tubes
in it. She had a two-button remote the size of a small toaster. I
remember Mom picking me up after work (Aunt Edith was my babysitter) and as
her keys would jingle on her way to the door, the TV would change channels
randomly. Pretty neat.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

Mark Jerde wrote:

Mine are today. ;-) Kitchen drain clogged. A bottle of goop & 24 hours
did no good so I snaked it with my 25' snake. That didn't clear it so I
rented a 50'. Fortunately that cleared the clog. I washed my hands like
Hawkeye & Trapper John on MASH but they're still nasty looking. No way
I'm chewing any fingernails.

The joys of home ownership... Nothing says homeowner like digging around in
the poopy end of a terlet.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

Lazarus Long wrote:

Apparently there's a lot of Robert Heinlein fans out there.

My name was almost Michael Valentine McIntyre...

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

Joe Gorman wrote:

Looking for one in your area?
http://www.driveinmovie.com/mainmenu.htm

It's there alright, for now.

Maybe we can buy ours from Mr. Beasley and see about making it the second
community-owned drive-in in the state.

Those FM thingies sound interesting. Ours has pole speakers that have been
in service since 1952. Audio quality is not the best, shall we say.

These things' days are numbered no matter what though. Nobody is going to
pay $BIGNUM for one of those digital projectors, and celluloid film is
about to go the way of LPs.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

Charlie Self wrote:

It's gonna be soooooo hard to roll off those boring midnight miles without
my smokes though. I'll probably gain 250 pounds.

Probably. I gained more weight than I ever thought possible. I seem to
have stabilized now, about 90 pound above my "normal" weight.

Die from a heart attack from all the weight, or die from emphyzema...
Bleah.

You actually have emphyzema now don't you? Aren't you the quit smoking and
buy a damn dust mask poster boy? Or am I thinking of someone else?

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Luigi Zanasi

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:42:59 -0500, Silvan
scribbled:

Charlie Self wrote:

I'd swiped them. I was maybe 9-10 (long before PC howls about younger
than 18 or whatever buying butts). I didn't see anotehr 18 cent pack of
cigarets again until I got to Parris Island's PX.

Good grief. They were like $1.50 when I started smoking. Almost $3 now. A
lot more than $3 in some places. I see some stores in far-off points
advertising $40 a carton like it was a bargain.

Count yourself lucky, $65 Kanuckistani loonies for a carton. Nine
bucks a pack. Multiply by .75 to get it US dollars.

Luigi
Replace "no" with "yk" for real email address
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:19:05 -0800, Larry Blanchard
brought forth from the murky depths:

One of my Xmas presents was Pratchett's "The Last Hero" - an illustrated
Pratchett! My wife said I laughed out loud the whole time I originally
read it (from the library), so she thought I'd like to have my own copy.
I just finished reading it again - still laughing.

Where else can you find Prometheus, an aging "Cohen" the barbarian, the
gods on Mt Olympus, and Leonardo daVinci all parodied at once?

Sounds good. Be sure to seek out copies of any of Christopher
Moore's books. I just lost a quart of tears reading (+ laughing
throughout) his book "The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove".

Please return Stewardess to her original upright position.
--------------------------------------
http://www.diversify.com Tagline-based T-shirts!
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:46:34 -0500, Silvan

Lazarus Long wrote:

Apparently there's a lot of Robert Heinlein fans out there.

My name was almost Michael Valentine McIntyre...

What surprises me is that Laz was surprised. Heinlein reached
GODHOOD somewhere waaaaay back. A purely delightful author!

Please return Stewardess to her original upright position.
--------------------------------------
http://www.diversify.com Tagline-based T-shirts!
Charlie Self

Silvan writes:

Probably. I gained more weight than I ever thought possible. I seem to
have stabilized now, about 90 pound above my "normal" weight.

Die from a heart attack from all the weight, or die from emphyzema...
Bleah.

You actually have emphyzema now don't you? Aren't you the quit smoking and
buy a damn dust mask poster boy? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Someone else. I got a lot wrong with me--ask my first wife--but not emphysema
(yet). I smoked so heavily for so long that if there's no more penalty than the
pounds, I'll be way, way ahead of the game. The evening I quit, I finished
almost 4 packs of cigarets for the day, and that was not far above the norm.
Even at 90 cents a pack, that was getting costly.

But I sometimes remember to wear hearing protection and a dust mask.

Charlie Self
"If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave
it to. " Dorothy Parker

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Charlie Self

Silvan writes:

the hose after fueling copters. It would not only take hair off your leg,
it would leave you with a really nasty red blotch. But that was AvGas,
maybe 125+ octane, IIRC.

The fuel sold for that purpose will do the same thing too, FWIW.

Yeah, but you're not trying to get a 3-4 ounce drip from a 2" or more diameter
hose into that tiny little lighter.

Charlie Self
"If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave
it to. " Dorothy Parker

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html
Silvan

Howard wrote:

102. Doctors smoking cigarettes during office visits

Dr. Boatwright was a trip. Told me I needed to quit smoking. Said the
first thing I had to do was decide I really wanted to quit, deep down
inside. Then find a mountain, climb to the top, and hurl myself off.

106. Wris****ches with hands that went around

Huh? I'm wearing one right now. It's not a mechanical movement though.
Quartz. I hate digital watches. Time is an analog thing.

107. Mechanical typewriters

Learned on an old Royal with no 1 key.

108. Hand-cranked cash registers

Yup.

109. Sock hops

Nope.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Swingman

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

The evening I quit, I finished
almost 4 packs of cigarets for the day, and that was not far above the

norm.
Even at 90 cents a pack, that was getting costly.

When I quit 12 years ago I was easily spending $1500/year on cigarettes ...
that's a nice annual tool budget.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/29/03

David Hall

102. Doctors smoking cigarettes during office visits
103. Oleo
104. Raw eggs in home-made ice cream
105. Studebakers
106. Wris****ches with hands that went around
107. Mechanical typewriters
108. Hand-cranked cash registers
109. Sock hops
110. Kids carrying a .22 out of the city limits to practice target shooting
without adult supervision -- & buying the ammo with no proof of age

111. The ice man putting ice into your icebox (and the three cornered sign you
hung in the window to tell him how big of a block you wanted)