T.

Default OT - OLDER THAN DIRT QUIZ

My mother sent me this a few days back. And, I can remembember
every damn thing on the quiz. What the Hell happened? I shouldn't even
be 30 yet. Damn.

Older Than Dirt Quiz:
Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about!
Ratings at the bottom.

=A0=A0 1. Blackjack chewing gum
=A0=A0 2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
=A0=A0 3. Candy cigarettes
=A0=A0 4. Soda pop machines that dispensed bottles
=A0=A0 5. Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes
=A0=A0 6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
=A0=A0 7. Party lines
=A0=A0 8. Newsreels before the movie
=A0=A0 9. P.F. Flyers
=A0=A0 10. Butch wax
=A0=A0 11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (Olive-6933)
=A0=A0 12. Peashooters
=A0=A0 13. Howdy Doody
=A0=A0 14. 45 RPM records
=A0=A0 15. S&H Green Stamps
=A0=A0 16. Hi-fi's
=A0=A0 17. Metal ice trays with lever
=A0=A0 18. Mimeograph paper
=A0=A0 19. Blue flashbulb
=A0=A0 20. Packards
=A0=A0 21. Roller skate keys
=A0=A0 22. Cork popguns
=A0=A0 23. Drive-ins
=A0=A0 24. Studebakers
=A0=A0 25. Wash tub wringers

=A0=A0 If you remembered! 0-5 =3D You're still young =A0=A0 If you
remembered 6-10 =3D You are getting older =A0=A0 If you remembered 11-15 =3D=

Don't tell your age, =A0=A0 If you remembered 16-25 =3D You're older than
dirt!

JOAT
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of
enthusiasm.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 29 Dec 2003.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

Bob Haar

On 2003/12/29 9:41 PM, "T." wrote:

My mother sent me this a few days back. And, I can remembember
every damn thing on the quiz. What the Hell happened? I shouldn't even
be 30 yet. Damn.

** If you remembered! 0-5 = You're still young ** If you
remembered 6-10 = You are getting older ** If you remembered 11-15 =
Don't tell your age, ** If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than
dirt!

What if I remember all of them, and used or owned most? What is older than
"older than dirt?"

RPRESHONG

What is older than
"older than dirt?"

The guy who named dirt
Doug Winterburn

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:29:54 -0700, George M. Kazaka wrote:

Okay "T" I remember all of them, but just watch out with that old ****.G
I also remember when Cigarettes was 23 cents a pack and when you got them in
a vending machine you dropped in a quarter and the two cents was inside the
cellophane wrapper.
That was when two cents was worth something

I remember that - in IBM class in Endicott, NY in 1966. The classroom was
"smokin' as about 95% was puffin'

-Doug
George M. Kazaka

Okay "T" I remember all of them, but just watch out with that old ****.G
I also remember when Cigarettes was 23 cents a pack and when you got them in
a vending machine you dropped in a quarter and the two cents was inside the
cellophane wrapper.
That was when two cents was worth something
George
"T." wrote in message
My mother sent me this a few days back. And, I can remembember
every damn thing on the quiz. What the Hell happened? I shouldn't even
be 30 yet. Damn.

Older Than Dirt Quiz:
Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about!
Ratings at the bottom.

1. Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed bottles
5. Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes
6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines
8. Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butch wax
11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (Olive-6933)
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15. S&H Green Stamps
16. Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19. Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered! 0-5 = You're still young If you
remembered 6-10 = You are getting older If you remembered 11-15 =
Don't tell your age, If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than
dirt!

JOAT
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of
enthusiasm.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 29 Dec 2003.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

David Hall

My mother sent me this a few days back. And, I can remembember
every damn thing on the quiz. What the Hell happened? I shouldn't even
be 30 yet. Damn.

WOW, I remember 13 and I'm only 43 years young.

Hell, I remember them all and personally experienced 19 of them. I'm only 46.
Like everything else around me, dirt is getting younger every year

Dave Hall
Larry C in Auburn, WA

Up yours. Now go back to posting plans for us.

Just kidding of course, but this was a bad test. How can 47 be older than
dirt? I'm in the middle of my mid-life crisis and you bring this up...
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"T." wrote in message
[...]

David Hall

Up yours. Now go back to posting plans for us.

Just kidding of course, but this was a bad test. How can 47 be older than
dirt? I'm in the middle of my mid-life crisis and you bring this up...
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

Hey Larry, I'm 46 and considering having a mid-life crisis. Problem is, I don't
really think I'll live to 92 so I'm afraid I'm too late

Dave
Joe Wells

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 22:54:11 -0500, Mowgli wrote:

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:41:58 -0500 (EST), T.'s fingers viciously stabbed at
an innocent keyboard to form the now famous if slightly awkward haiku:

My mother sent me this a few days back. And, I can remembember
every damn thing on the quiz. What the Hell happened? I shouldn't even
be 30 yet. Damn.

WOW, I remember 13 and I'm only 43 years young.

Shoot, I remember 10 1/2 and I'm just a 33 year-old baby. Maybe I have an
old soul?

-Joe

George E. Cawthon

"T." wrote:

[...]

Scored 24 out of 25.

#3-- a pack in my desk right now
#7-- presume you mean telephone, two rings.
#14--in the closet
#16--in the storage shed
#18--that's not old, I remember helping my mother make
copies using pans of geletain
#19--package in the drawer, little ones, number 5s, #11
clear
#22--still have my first one
#23--there are still drive-ins
#25--you mean with a motor? That came later. We had to
turn ours by hand because we had no eletricity.

#11 is a no. Didn't have a telephone at our house until I
was in the 7th grade and they didn't use words.
Charlie Self

George Kazaka writes:

Okay "T" I remember all of them, but just watch out with that old ****.G
I also remember when Cigarettes was 23 cents a pack and when you got them in
a vending machine you dropped in a quarter and the two cents was inside the
cellophane wrapper.
That was when two cents was worth something

A few years before that...my father sent me down to get a pack of Luckies, and
gave me 2 dimes. No pennies in the pack coming back and he got angry, thought
I'd swiped them. I was maybe 9-10 (long before PC howls about younger than 18
or whatever buying butts). I didn't see anotehr 18 cent pack of cigarets again
until I got to Parris Island's PX.

Charlie Self

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html
Charlie Self

Mowgli responds:

My mother sent me this a few days back. And, I can remembember
every damn thing on the quiz. What the Hell happened? I shouldn't even
be 30 yet. Damn.

WOW, I remember 13 and I'm only 43 years young.

I'll trade any day. Your real shock comes when you realize your kids are
getting gray hairs and facial lines.

Charlie Self

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html
Charlie Self

JOAT writes:

I'm not old enough to have a mid-life crisis. Hehehe

Had mine. Lasted from 27 to 47. All during my first marriage.

Charlie Self

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Greg G.

T. said:

My mother sent me this a few days back. And, I can remembember
every damn thing on the quiz. What the Hell happened? I shouldn't even
be 30 yet. Damn.

Older Than Dirt Quiz:

Hey, I resent that. I'm only 45 and I remember ALL of them.. Had most
of that stuff in our home, and we drove a Studebaker. I even remember
the phone number, Hemlock 5-4093.

45 is NOT older than dirt, 66 is. g

Greg G.
Lionel

I remember when 45's were the new fad and not likely to replace 78's.

When I placed my first phone call I was five. I cranked the handle and told
the operator, "Rosalie, I want to talk to Mama." She rang my father's
grocery store, where my mother had gone for a few minutes..

We didn't have dirt until I was about ten. Who knew it would get to be a
big thing?

Lionel

"T." wrote in message
[...]

Charlie Self

Greg G responds:

Hey, I resent that. I'm only 45 and I remember ALL of them.. Had most
of that stuff in our home, and we drove a Studebaker. I even remember
the phone number, Hemlock 5-4093.

45 is NOT older than dirt, 66 is.

Hell, my first car WAS a Studebaker. Traded it on a new '57 Chevy
convertible...first year of the 283s.

I haven't got a clue what my phone number was back then, but it did have a name
instead of numbers.

I can wait until next year to be older than dirt (66), but I recalled all the
blinking items and owned a bunch of them, even gulped down the colored water in
the wax bottles--and chewed the wax.

Charlie Self

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Glen

I have the Ink Spots and Glenn Miller on old 78s. The still sound lousy.

Glen

"Roy Neudecker" wrote in message
Ah, the good old days!!!

What about Glenn Miller, the Ink Spots and Skitch Henderson's Band? Now

don't
get me going.

Was watching a move the other day that brought tears to my eyes all over

again.
It was about a Dish type TV antenna in Wells that was used for Apollo 11's

moon
landing pictures. I was one of those glued to every picture. Not that long

ago.
But boy was I proud to be alive to see that.

Roy

Bob Schmall

Nice thread, JOAT.
In the book "Tuesdays with Morrie" a young man meets regularly with a former
mentor of his who is dying. At one point he asks Morrie whether he misses
being able to do many of the old things. Morrie replies that he doesn't,
because he has done so much and remembers it well. The memories are
important, of course, but the doing of the old things the first time makes
for a rich life.
This is one very big reason why I am a woodworker: the memories have
substance.

Bob

"T." wrote in message
[...]

Swingman

Hell, the first car I stole was a Studebaker.

The first phone number I remember was my grandparents in 1949, "0384",
eight party line without a prefix. The only thing on the list I wasn't
familiar with was BlackJack chewing gum ... as a fledging and debonair bon
vivant, I only chewed Double Bubble.

I personally can't wait to get to 65, five more years, so I can get some
property tax relief.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/29/03

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Hell, my first car WAS a Studebaker. Traded it on a new '57 Chevy
convertible...first year of the 283s.

I haven't got a clue what my phone number was back then, but it did have a

name
instead of numbers.

I can wait until next year to be older than dirt (66), but I recalled all

the
blinking items and owned a bunch of them, even gulped down the colored

water in
the wax bottles--and chewed the wax.

Charlie Self

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Jon Endres, PE

"T." wrote in message

Older Than Dirt Quiz:
Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about!
Ratings at the bottom.

If you remembered! 0-5 = You're still young If you
remembered 6-10 = You are getting older If you remembered 11-15 =
Don't tell your age, If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than
dirt!

13 for me, and I'm only 33. Damn. Of course, a lot of that was still
around in the early 70's when I was a kid.

Jon E

Charlie Self

Swingman responds:

I personally can't wait to get to 65, five more years, so I can get some
property tax relief.

I think here, too. I'll have to check. I know in VA, I get a $12,000 exemption
for living this long. Good reason to report next year's income from there!

Charlie Self

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Bay Area Dave

Default OT - OLDER THAN DIRT QUIZ - additional memories

The ONLY thing I don't remember from the list is Blackjack chewing gum.

Here's a few mo

1. Movie theater lobbies grander than a palace.
2. fallout shelters
3. the Edsel
4. getting your feet fluoroscoped at the shoe store
5. Davy Crockett
6. balloon tire bikes with coaster brakes
7. Jack Benny
8. your first transistor radio
9. Magic slates
10.TV trays

Silvan

T. wrote:

23. Drive-ins

remembered 6-10 = You are getting older ** If you remembered 11-15 =
Don't tell your age, ** If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than
dirt!

I got a 12.

Remember? Hell, we still *have* a drive-in. Well, maybe not. Mr. Beasley
is looking pretty tired, and there are rumors that he might not re-open in
the spring. I'm still hoping. We go to the drive-in every time there's a
movie I can take my kids to, which is increasingly rare these days. Food
and a flick for four for less than $20. Can't beat it with a stick.

We still have drive-in restaurants too, with people on roller skates even.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Lawrence L'Hote

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
m...
The ONLY thing I don't remember from the list is Blackjack chewing gum.

Here's a few mo

1. Movie theater lobbies grander than a palace.
2. fallout shelters
3. the Edsel
10.TV trays

T. wrote:

try this if you have a little time
http://www.jeromesnovels.com/website...oggy_ruins.pdf

Larry

Bay Area Dave

if I can remember to pull this up when I get a cable modem, I'll give it
a shot! I waited several minutes using a dial up and then I gave up.
Comcast has promised us cable modem service in the next few weeks.

dave

T. wrote:

try this if you have a little time
http://www.jeromesnovels.com/website...oggy_ruins.pdf

Larry

Greg

Comcast has promised us cable modem service in the next few weeks.

That's what they are telling me and I have been paying for the service for
years ;-)

It is great when it is working tho.
Charlie Self

Lawrence L'Hote posts:

try this if you have a little time
http://www.jeromesnovels.com/website...oggy_ruins.pdf

Damn. That looks a lot like the '38 Ford we had back shortly after WWII. Might
be a '39 or '40, though--I once had a '40 convertible, but Mom sold it in '57
while I was out of town.

Glen wrote:
Oh my God, 22! I am older than dirt.

Yeah, I got 22 of them also, and I'm not sure that
the other three aren't victims of CRS.

BTW, I saw BlackJack gum in the store just yesterday. It's baaaaaack!

That's one I don't ever remember seeing, but have heard of it.
What surprised me about 4 or 5 years ago was I actually saw
candy cigarettes in the checkout line at the grocery store!

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Lazarus Long

I got 20. I'm older than dirt and feel like it today.

(T.) wrote:

My mother sent me this a few days back. And, I can remembember
every damn thing on the quiz. What the Hell happened? I shouldn't even
be 30 yet. Damn.

Older Than Dirt Quiz:
Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about!
Ratings at the bottom.

** 1. Blackjack chewing gum
** 2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
** 3. Candy cigarettes
** 4. Soda pop machines that dispensed bottles
** 5. Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes
** 6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
** 7. Party lines
** 8. Newsreels before the movie
** 9. P.F. Flyers
** 10. Butch wax
** 11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (Olive-6933)
** 12. Peashooters
** 13. Howdy Doody
** 14. 45 RPM records
** 15. S&H Green Stamps
** 16. Hi-fi's
** 17. Metal ice trays with lever
** 18. Mimeograph paper
** 19. Blue flashbulb
** 20. Packards
** 21. Roller skate keys
** 22. Cork popguns
** 23. Drive-ins
** 24. Studebakers
** 25. Wash tub wringers

** If you remembered! 0-5 = You're still young ** If you
remembered 6-10 = You are getting older ** If you remembered 11-15 =
Don't tell your age, ** If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than
dirt!

JOAT
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of
enthusiasm.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 29 Dec 2003.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

Norman D. Crow

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
Lawrence L'Hote posts:

try this if you have a little time
http://www.jeromesnovels.com/website...oggy_ruins.pdf

Damn. That looks a lot like the '38 Ford we had back shortly after WWII.

Might
be a '39 or '40, though--I once had a '40 convertible, but Mom sold it in

'57
while I was out of town.

Charlie, you sure that's a Ford? Looks almost like that ill-conceived
Chrysler Airflow from back in the 30's, the way the fenders flow. Wish there
was more of the grill showing.

Nahmie

Norman D. Crow

"Norman D. Crow" wrote in message
Charlie, you sure that's a Ford? Looks almost like that ill-conceived
Chrysler Airflow from back in the 30's, the way the fenders flow. Wish

there
was more of the grill showing.

DAGS, looks like most of the Airflows had fender skirts, but not all. Blew
this one up, and it sure does resemble them(but then again, a LOT of the
late 30's cars looked a lot alike) *And we complain about them all being
*cookie-cutter* cars today!*(LOL)

Nahmie

Bob

25 for 25!! Anybody older?

--
In golf, it's not the score that counts--it's the company!

Bill Reynolds

wrote:

Okay "T" I remember all of them, but just watch out with that old ****.G
I also remember when Cigarettes was 23 cents a pack and when you got them in
a vending machine you dropped in a quarter and the two cents was inside the
cellophane wrapper.

In the late 30's they were $1.50/carton of ten.

Remove TIE to reply.
Jerry Gilreath

Bill, you aren't from Kentucky by any chance are you?

--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
Homer Simpson