T.

Default OT - Older Than Dirt Quiz - Part II

Tue, Jan 6, 2004, 2:42am (EST+5) Kiyu_@visinet (Kiyu) proclaimed:
snip And the lime pail. snip

Damn, you had a fancy one then. LMAO

JOAT
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of
enthusiasm.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 5 Jan 2004.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

Mark

Default OT - OLDER THAN DIRT QUIZ

David Hall wrote:

Aren't we at least trying to do that already? Another one of the reasons
alcohol and tobacco will never be banned is the amount of money the 2
substances bring in to various governments. If marijuana brought in a similar
amount, it would be on sale at all convenience stores.

Charlie Self

Comon, Charlie. If pot and other "recreational drugs" were legalized, regulated
and taxed like booze the amount of tax dollars would be staggering.

Yes, it would.

At least till the private crop came in.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)

Charlie Self

Mark responds:

David Hall wrote:

Aren't we at least trying to do that already? Another one of the reasons
alcohol and tobacco will never be banned is the amount of money the 2
substances bring in to various governments. If marijuana brought in a

similar
amount, it would be on sale at all convenience stores.

Charlie Self

Comon, Charlie. If pot and other "recreational drugs" were legalized,

regulated
and taxed like booze the amount of tax dollars would be staggering.

Yes, it would.

At least till the private crop came in.

Yeah, and I'll bet that is one of the considerations, too. Tobacco needs
prcoessing for use, as does alcohol. Pot needs drying, period. Hard to stop
private growth if it's legal.

Charlie Self
"Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker
http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html
mrdancer

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
Mark responds:

David Hall wrote:

Aren't we at least trying to do that already? Another one of the

reasons
alcohol and tobacco will never be banned is the amount of money the 2
substances bring in to various governments. If marijuana brought in a

similar
amount, it would be on sale at all convenience stores.

Charlie Self

Comon, Charlie. If pot and other "recreational drugs" were legalized,

regulated
and taxed like booze the amount of tax dollars would be staggering.

Yes, it would.

At least till the private crop came in.

Yeah, and I'll bet that is one of the considerations, too. Tobacco needs
prcoessing for use, as does alcohol. Pot needs drying, period. Hard to

stop
private growth if it's legal.

Moreover, consider all of the money/spending that occurs around the drug
trade presently. Yeah, a good chunk of it prolly goes outside our borders,
but a bunch of it stays here (speaking from a USA standpoint). That that
goes outside our borders is prolly used to buy weapons from the U.S.

Legalize dope and you'll see fewer Escalades and Uzis in the 'hoods... that
part of the economy will tank, along with jobs used to create those
Escalades and Uzis, etc. So now we are talking gov't. subsidies to the
economy to offset loss of drug money. Will it balance?

Luigi Zanasi

On 03 Jan 2004 10:00:33 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
scribbled:
I think we tried that. Prohibition it was called. Worked great. We ended up
with bootleggers, bathtub gin, speakeasies, a super advanced moonshining
industry, and crime bosses, along with several more government groups that are
still hanging around. Like many other substances, alcohol is very simple to
produce, so total control is impossible.

Controls are fairly tight on booze in this country, yet we still seem to have
more problems with it than most countries.

It seems that the further north one goes, the worse the alcohol
problems become and the larger the social problem caused by it. Think
Scandinavian countries, Russia, Canada, UK, Ireland. I think all these
countries have worse alcohol problems than the US.

Canada and the Scandinavian countries are really tough on drunk
driving and tax the hell out of alcohol. In Canada, drunk driving has
been a criminal offense for a long time, and the penalties are tougher
than in most US states. Here in the Yukon, we have a serious Fetal
Alcohol Syndrome problem, with kids whose mother drank are born with
different levels of mental retardation. We also have the highest per
capita alcohol consumption of any jurisdiction in Canada.

Not that any of this is going to stop me from making my 50 gallons of
wine a year, which I drink in moderation. Well, maybe except for New
Year's Eve.

Luigi
Replace "no" with "yk" for real email address
David Hall

otforme (Charlie Self) wrote in message ...
Mark responds:

David Hall wrote:

[...]

Tobacco only needs more processing than pot if you want a good cigar,
good pipe tobacco or a standardized cigarette. Lots of folks in the
more rural past grew tobacco and used it, but we want something better
than that big leaf we grew out back. Same with alcohol. It's not that
hard to make (see Luigi's post abot 50 gallon of homemade wine) and
yet we do not have a nation of brewers and distillers. (I believe it
is just as legal to make moonshine for your own consumption as it is
beer and wine). I see no reason to believe that after the novelty wore
off that people would be out growing their own and they certainly
wouldn't be planting a lot of backyard coca trees.

Dave Hall
Charlie Self

Larry Jaques responds:

What taxes do is reinforce overexpenditure by the gov't.

Agreed. And that's something that needs absolutely NO reinforcement.

As to smoking, subsidizing tobacco and then taxing it to the hilt
doesn't make sense. It's hurting the people (us) in multiple ways.

Presumably, there is no subsidy on tobacco. What it is is an allotment system
that keeps anyone from growing extra tobacco, except for personal use.
Presumably.

Charlie Self
"Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker
http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html
Mark

David Hall wrote:

I see no reason to believe that after the novelty wore
off that people would be out growing their own and they certainly
wouldn't be planting a lot of backyard coca trees.

Not cocoa trees in the back yard as they need a different climate.

But my daddy could buy tomatoes, corn, cucumbers at the local mart. I
wonder why he grew his own. ?

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)

alexy

"CW" wrote:

Quit acting ignorent.

LOL!
--
Alex
alexy

"Swingman" wrote:

Hell, the first car I stole was a Studebaker.

The first phone number I remember was my grandparents in 1949, "0384",
eight party line without a prefix.

Bringing the discussion back on topic (well, almost!), my Milwaukee
Delta bandsaw (also from 1949) has a sticker on it from the hardware
store in Middleton NY, with the phone number 8993.
--
Alex

Charlie Self

CW writes:

The four digit phone number is a while back but not that far. Living in
Manassas VA in about 1973, local phone calls still used a four digit number.

It was still in use within its own calling zone in Bedford, VA in 1988. I think
it was '89, maybe '90, when we got a lot more convenience...I could dial
England directly, but could no longer dial my up the road neighbor with 4
digits. Had to use 7.

Somehow, that never computed, particularly since it had been 30 years since I
knew anyone living in England.

Charlie Self
If God had wanted me to touch my toes he would have put them higher on my body.

Charlie Self wrote:
CW writes:

The four digit phone number is a while back but not that far. Living in
Manassas VA in about 1973, local phone calls still used a four digit number.

It was still in use within its own calling zone in Bedford, VA in 1988. I think
it was '89, maybe '90, when we got a lot more convenience...I could dial
England directly, but could no longer dial my up the road neighbor with 4
digits. Had to use 7.

Somehow, that never computed, particularly since it had been 30 years since I
knew anyone living in England.

This is one of those "old time" things I can't really
relate to. Growing up in New Jersey, the home of
Bell Labs, our phone system got all the latest and
greatest stuff early on. I remember "Direct Distance
Dialling" in the early 60's. We could dial our own
long distance, even overseas, without any operator
intervention or even dialling a "1" first. To the
best of my knowlege, you still don't dial a "1" for
long distance in New Jersey. Maybe that's changed. We got
"TouchTone" a few months after I saw it at the New York
Worlds Fair in 1964. I never even heard of 4-digit
dialling until I was an adult, and then it was in
an historical context. I had heard of, but not
experienced, a party line until I moved to Virginia
in the late 1970's. After 25+ years I've finally
gotten used to the "1" for long distance.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Charlie Self

Bill Ranck responds:

This is one of those "old time" things I can't really
relate to. Growing up in New Jersey, the home of
Bell Labs, our phone system got all the latest and
greatest stuff early on. I remember "Direct Distance
Dialling" in the early 60's. We could dial our own
long distance, even overseas, without any operator
intervention or even dialling a "1" first. To the
best of my knowlege, you still don't dial a "1" for
long distance in New Jersey. Maybe that's changed. We got
"TouchTone" a few months after I saw it at the New York
Worlds Fair in 1964. I never even heard of 4-digit
dialling until I was an adult, and then it was in
an historical context. I had heard of, but not
experienced, a party line until I moved to Virginia
in the late 1970's. After 25+ years I've finally
gotten used to the "1" for long distance.

Yeah, my mother used to have the no "1" dial in Dobbs Ferry, NY many years ago.
I stayed with her for a month (only seemed like 6 years to both of us) when my
first marriage broke up, so I found that out quickly. Same in an earlier
apartment she had in Yonkers. I got used to that quickly, then moved to
Bedford, VA where you needed the 1 and could still use 4 digits to get the
neighbor up the road. Hell, it's faster to walk up and talk to him than to dial
him in these days of "mod cons."

Another historical context: when I was living in Albany, NY, and later the same
year ('72) in Milton, WI, I could sequence dial by calling the operator, giving
her the list of numbers I needed, then each time I finished a call, she dialed
the next one for me. Great feature when you needed 10-15 calls in a row, and
jog dials don't replace it.

Course, that was back in the days before I took diuretics to keep the blood
pressure down.

Charlie Self
"Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves."
Dorothy Parker

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Charlie Self wrote:
Bill Ranck responds:

Another historical context: when I was living in Albany, NY, and later the same
year ('72) in Milton, WI, I could sequence dial by calling the operator, giving
her the list of numbers I needed, then each time I finished a call, she dialed
the next one for me. Great feature when you needed 10-15 calls in a row, and
jog dials don't replace it.

My mother was a telephone operator back in the 30's.
I remember when dear old Ma Bell introduced 3-way calling,
and she said that was no big deal, she could do that for
people on her switchboard back in the day, but it was against
the "rules" because the operator had to stay in the circuit
to make it work. Of course, the switchboard she worked probably
didn't support dial phones at all. But, I wasn't born then.

Course, that was back in the days before I took diuretics to keep the blood
pressure down.

Shhh! I've been avoiding my doctor so I don't have to
hear about my weight and blood pressure . . . ;-)

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

David Hall

The four digit phone number is a while back but not that far. Living in
Manassas VA in about 1973, local phone calls still used a four digit number.

"alexy"

During college (1980 through 1984) I worked in the Bureau of Business Research
at West Virginia University. For some reason a project was being done that
required collecting and reviewing the telephone books from all of the
independent telephone companies in the state. I was amazed at the number and
small size of the independent telephone companies still operating. My favoeite
one had a one page typed "phone book". The first number listed was "The Pay
Phone". No location was given or apparently needed. I assume everyone knew
where "The Pay Phone" was located. Everyone had a 3 digit telephone number. I
believe that this was in 1983. I never did understand how you called someone
from outside their little telephone company switch.

The community where my mother grew up got outside telephone service from the
C&P Telephone Company during the late 1960s. Until then, the only telephones
were on a single wire to which all phones were connected. There were NO
telephone numbers - you knew whether the call was for you based upon the number
and length of the rings - still used hand cranks to generate the rings, too.
One person at the end of the line had a connection to an outside telephone and
could somehow connect it into the local "peanut line" if someone needed to make
or receive a call with the outside world.
Dave Hall
George

Steeping switches pretty much a thing of the past, but they're what made
such things possible. We've still got a firebar with 20 volunteers on it,
though I have to wonder how they're accommodating that. Went to seven
numbers in late 80's.