Bill Reynolds

Default OT - OLDER THAN DIRT QUIZ

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 19:52:42 GMT, "Jerry Gilreath"
wrote:

Bill, you aren't from Kentucky by any chance are you?

Anderson Indiana

Remove TIE to reply.
Charlie Self

Default OT - OLDER THAN DIRT QUIZ - additional memories

Nahmie asks:

Charlie, you sure that's a Ford? Looks almost like that ill-conceived
Chrysler Airflow from back in the 30's, the way the fenders flow. Wish there
was more of the grill showing.

IIRC, the Chrysler Airflow was late '20s, very early '30s. The car shown is a
Ford (or Mercury) in the late '30s, early '40s series.

I think.

Charlie Self

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html
David Babcock

(Crying dejectedly) I remember em all, and know where to still get some of
them.
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/p...dGroupID=26244

Dave

Norman D. Crow

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

snip

IIRC, the Chrysler Airflow was late '20s, very early '30s. The car shown

is a
Ford (or Mercury) in the late '30s, early '40s series.

I think.

Maybe that's our trouble. We're *thinking*, and that leads to all kinds of
problems when it runs up against our CRS.

Nahmie

T.

Tue, Dec 30, 2003, 4:40am Greg G. claims:
45 is NOT older than dirt, 66 is. g

I've met plenty of 45 year olds who are older than me. And, I'm
only freshly 63. Nyah.

JOAT
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of
enthusiasm.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 29 Dec 2003.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

Charlie Self

Nahmie notes, correctly:

Maybe that's our trouble. We're *thinking*, and that leads to all kinds of
problems when it runs up against our CRS.

I resemble that remark. In more ways than one: my initials just happen to be
CRS.

Charlie Self
"If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave
it to. " Dorothy Parker

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html
Charlie Self

JOAT listens and hears:

I also remember the radio, and listening to: The Green Hornet,
Tarzan, The Shadow, Amos 'n Andy, Fibber McGee & Molly, The Great
Guildersleeve, Sgt Preston of the Mounties, Superman, The Creaking Door,
and I don't know what all else. Now, that part of the so-called
good-ole days I woudn't mind keeping.

Fanny Brice (Baby Snooks?); Fred Allen; Inner Sanctum (opened to the tune of a
creaking door that gave a 5 year old shivers up his spine).

I think James Earl Jones may be about the only actor today who can use his
voice the way those radio actors and comics used theirs.

A tune called "Skokian" from Bill Haley & the Comets.

Charlie Self
"If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave
it to. " Dorothy Parker

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html
Mark Jerde

T. wrote:

Door, and I don't know what all else. Now, that part of the so-called
good-ole days I woudn't mind keeping.

Someone (Richard Armore (sp?)??) wrote (more or less g):

"We call them the 'Good Old Days' because we weren't good, we weren't old,
and we're talking about the nights."

-- Mark

Henry E Schaffer

In article ,
Lazarus Long wrote:
I got 20. I'm older than dirt and feel like it today.

Am I the only one giggling about "Lazurus Long" mentioning being old?
--
--henry schaffer
hes _AT_ ncsu _DOT_ edu
Mark Jerde

Henry E Schaffer wrote:

Am I the only one giggling about "Lazurus Long" mentioning being
old?

Nope. g SWMBO and I have been together since 1982 but I sometimes think
about Lazurus' assertion that the max length of any relationship is 20
years.... g

(Lots of 40+ 50+ anniversary marriages amongst my ancestors. I'm not
planning to skip... )

-- Mark

Timothy Drouillard

Hmmm, 22 out of 25 of the original list, and 9 out of 10 on this one.

#4 I don't remember

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
m...
The ONLY thing I don't remember from the list is Blackjack chewing gum.

Here's a few mo

1. Movie theater lobbies grander than a palace.
2. fallout shelters
3. the Edsel
4. getting your feet fluoroscoped at the shoe store
5. Davy Crockett
6. balloon tire bikes with coaster brakes
7. Jack Benny
8. your first transistor radio
9. Magic slates
10.TV trays

Bay Area Dave

My feet are still glowing!

dave

Hmmm, 22 out of 25 of the original list, and 9 out of 10 on this one.

Silvan

Norman D. Crow wrote:

Maybe that's our trouble. We're *thinking*, and that leads to all kinds of
problems when it runs up against our CRS.

I can't remember what CRS means...

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

Charlie Self wrote:

I'd swiped them. I was maybe 9-10 (long before PC howls about younger
than 18 or whatever buying butts). I didn't see anotehr 18 cent pack of
cigarets again until I got to Parris Island's PX.

Good grief. They were like $1.50 when I started smoking. Almost $3 now. A
lot more than $3 in some places. I see some stores in far-off points
advertising $40 a carton like it was a bargain.

When VA does the 75-cents-a-pack tax hike, that's it. I've made up my mind.
No damn way I'm paying $35 a carton to give myself emphyszema.

It's gonna be soooooo hard to roll off those boring midnight miles without
my smokes though. I'll probably gain 250 pounds.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Greg O

"Mowgli" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:41:58 -0500 (EST), T.'s fingers viciously stabbed

at
an innocent keyboard to form the now famous if slightly awkward haiku:

My mother sent me this a few days back. And, I can remembember
every damn thing on the quiz. What the Hell happened? I shouldn't even
be 30 yet. Damn.

WOW, I remember 13 and I'm only 43 years young.

I am 44, an I remember 24 of them! 43/44 must be a major transition age!
Greg

Cape Cod Bob

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:38:05 GMT, Bay Area Dave wrote:

Those are for the kiddies. Try these.

The ONLY thing I don't remember from the list is Blackjack chewing gum.

Here's a few mo

1. Movie theater lobbies grander than a palace.

Grandly uniformed ticket takers and ushers with flashlights to
take you to your seat.
2. fallout shelters

Fallout shelters with FOOD and supplies
3. the Edsel

The Hudson
4. getting your feet fluoroscoped at the shoe store

5. Davy Crockett

Bobby Benson of the B Bar B Ranch. And my favorite,
LashLarue
6. balloon tire bikes with coaster brakes

Like race cars you steer with your hand and brake with your
feet
7. Jack Benny

Fibber McGee and Molly, Dr. Christian, Fannie Brice as Baby
Snooks, Boston Blackie
8. your first transistor radio

One big radio in the living room and no tv
9. Magic slates

Slates
10.TV trays

Milk trays left out for the milkman

Greg G.

Roy Neudecker said:

In article ,
(T.) writes:

Older Than Dirt Quiz:
Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about!
Ratings at the bottom.

Ah, the good old days!!!

What about Glenn Miller, the Ink Spots and Skitch Henderson's Band? Now don't
get me going.

And don't forget Spike Jones and Benny Goodman. I had a collection of
old 45's (45s for those who don't believe in such punctuation) and an
RCA 45 changer, and a homemade monaural gulp tube amp. g
There was also a piano player, I forgot his name, that played Autumn
Leaves. Wish I still had them...

Greg G.

Mark Jerde

Silvan wrote:

When VA does the 75-cents-a-pack tax hike, that's it. I've made up
my mind. No damn way I'm paying $35 a carton to give myself
emphyszema.

It's gonna be soooooo hard to roll off those boring midnight miles
without my smokes though. I'll probably gain 250 pounds.

Is Bull Durham still around? In high school in the 1970's I used to do a
lot of roll-ur-own.

-- Mark

Roy Neudecker

In article , Greg G. writes:

And don't forget Spike Jones and Benny Goodman. I had a collection of
old 45's (45s for those who don't believe in such punctuation) and an
RCA 45 changer, and a homemade monaural gulp tube amp. g
There was also a piano player, I forgot his name, that played Autumn
Leaves. Wish I still had them...

Ah yes, Spike Jones. Use to get a great laugh at his "playing around".

By the way, Autumn Leaves was Johnny Mercer.

Roy
Bill Reynolds

1. Movie theater lobbies grander than a palace.

Grandly uniformed ticket takers and ushers with flashlights to
take you to your seat.

"I have two down in front" said the usherette as her straps broke.....

Remove TIE to reply.
Charlie Self

Howard notes:

11. 0.5% sales tax

In NY State, no sales tax until about '65, introduced at 4%, IIRC, thanks to
Nellie Rockefeller, governor for far too long.

Charlie Self
"If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave
it to. " Dorothy Parker

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html
Charlie Self

Silvan writes:

When VA does the 75-cents-a-pack tax hike, that's it. I've made up my mind.
No damn way I'm paying $35 a carton to give myself emphyszema.

It's gonna be soooooo hard to roll off those boring midnight miles without
my smokes though. I'll probably gain 250 pounds.

Probably. I gained more weight than I ever thought possible. I seem to have
stabilized now, about 90 pound above my "normal" weight.

Charlie Self
"If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave
it to. " Dorothy Parker

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Tom Watson

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 13:47:56 GMT, Howard wrote:

12. Gas wars -- Econotane at 11 cents/gal

When most of your glassware came from the gas station and your dinner
plates came from the A+P (as well as the Funk and Wagnall's
Encyclopedia @ $1.00 per volume per week).

Tom Watson
(Real Email is tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Charlie Self

Howard writes:

(Charlie Self) wrote:

In NY State, no sales tax until about '65, introduced at 4%, IIRC, thanks to
Nellie Rockefeller, governor for far too long.

12. Gas wars -- Econotane at 11 cents/gal

Yow. I was in the expensive end of the country (downstate NY), but I recall my
father going through the roof when he couldn't get 5 gallons for a buck any
more.

Charlie Self
"If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave
it to. " Dorothy Parker

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Charlie Self

Tom Watson writes:

12. Gas wars -- Econotane at 11 cents/gal

When most of your glassware came from the gas station and your dinner
plates came from the A+P (as well as the Funk and Wagnall's
Encyclopedia @ $1.00 per volume per week).

That's still happening, but at Winn Dixie, mostly. And I think it's $4.95 a
week, and the glassware and plates are crap.

Charlie Self
"If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave
it to. " Dorothy Parker

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html
Swingman

They were .25 a pack when I first bought a pack in the 50's ... with two
pennies change under the cellophane. When I was in the service in the 60's
they were a $1.90/carton, or .19 a pack at the PX.

When I was in England in the early 60's, you pretty much had to be rich to
smoke, or else roll your own, which I did. A five pack of Players was about
..75 US then, but you could buy one cigarette at a time in kiosk's and many
stores ... a weekend luxury for me to smoke a ready roll.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/29/03

"Silvan" wrote in message
Charlie Self wrote:

I'd swiped them. I was maybe 9-10 (long before PC howls about younger
than 18 or whatever buying butts). I didn't see anotehr 18 cent pack of
cigarets again until I got to Parris Island's PX.

Good grief. They were like $1.50 when I started smoking. Almost $3 now.

lot more than $3 in some places. I see some stores in far-off points
advertising $40 a carton like it was a bargain.

When VA does the 75-cents-a-pack tax hike, that's it. I've made up my

mind.
No damn way I'm paying $35 a carton to give myself emphyszema.

It's gonna be soooooo hard to roll off those boring midnight miles without
my smokes though. I'll probably gain 250 pounds.

Swingman

In High School I routinely bought 25 cents worth of gas for my '49 Willys
Jeepster, and a few drops to go in my Zippo. You had to be careful with the
first flick, was all ... overfill it and it would take the hair off your leg
under your jeans pocket.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/29/03

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Yow. I was in the expensive end of the country (downstate NY), but I

recall my
father going through the roof when he couldn't get 5 gallons for a buck

any
more.

Charlie Self

Bob Schmall

"Silvan" wrote in message
Charlie Self wrote:

I'd swiped them. I was maybe 9-10 (long before PC howls about younger
than 18 or whatever buying butts). I didn't see anotehr 18 cent pack of
cigarets again until I got to Parris Island's PX.

Good grief. They were like $1.50 when I started smoking. Almost $3 now.

lot more than $3 in some places. I see some stores in far-off points
advertising $40 a carton like it was a bargain.

When VA does the 75-cents-a-pack tax hike, that's it. I've made up my

mind.
No damn way I'm paying $35 a carton to give myself emphyszema.

How much would you pay to get emphysema?

It's gonna be soooooo hard to roll off those boring midnight miles without
my smokes though. I'll probably gain 250 pounds.

And 20 more years.
The wreck needs you, Mike. Toss 'em.

Bob

Charlie Self

Swingman responds:

In High School I routinely bought 25 cents worth of gas for my '49 Willys
Jeepster, and a few drops to go in my Zippo. You had to be careful with the
first flick, was all ... overfill it and it would take the hair off your leg
under your jeans pocket.

Ouch. Brings back memories. Late '50s, at Kaneohe Bay MCAS, I got stuck driving
the fuel tanker for some weeks (until someone thought to ask if I had a
military license, which I didn't--and after 6 weeks of that crap, I made sure I
never did get one). Used to fill my lighter with the drip from the hose after
fueling copters. It would not only take hair off your leg, it would leave you
with a really nasty red blotch. But that was AvGas, maybe 125+ octane, IIRC.

Weird vehicles: spot you your Willys versus my '50 Studebaker, with hill
holder, or my '51 Crosley convertible (top slid back on rails above the
windows, had a floor shift--3 speed--spur gears you could shift with your
foot).

Charlie Self
"If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave
it to. " Dorothy Parker

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

John Carlson

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 06:29:36 GMT, "Mark Jerde"
wrote:

Is Bull Durham still around? In high school in the 1970's I used to do a
lot of roll-ur-own.

-- Mark

I did some roll-your-own in college in the 70's but mostly it wasn't
tobacco.
-- jc
Published e-mail address is strictly for spam collection.
If e-mailing me, please use jc631 at optonline dot net
Jon Endres, PE

"Henry E Schaffer" wrote in message
In article ,
Lazarus Long wrote:
I got 20. I'm older than dirt and feel like it today.

Am I the only one giggling about "Lazurus Long" mentioning being old?
--
--henry schaffer
hes _AT_ ncsu _DOT_ edu

Nope. I thought that was kinda weird as soon as I read it.

Gotta dig "Methuselah's Children" back out of the bookshelf and reread it.

Jon E

Charlie Self

Larry Blanchard notes:

The salesmen used to chase us out because every small boy in town loved
to run in and x-ray his feet :-).

Heh. Maybe that's what's wrong with the younger generation.

And how about the radium in the Tom Mix (?) rings. You put it up to your
eye and watched the sparks :-).

In my case, Jack Armstrong, All American Boy! The ring sucked. I never did see
it glow.