Swingman

Default OT - OLDER THAN DIRT QUIZ

They were .25 a pack when I first bought a pack in the 50's ... with two
pennies change under the cellophane. When I was in the service in the 60's
they were a $1.90/carton, or .19 a pack at the PX.

When I was in England in the early 60's, you pretty much had to be rich to
smoke, or else roll your own, which I did. A five pack of Players was about
..75 US then, but you could buy one cigarette at a time in kiosk's and many
stores ... a weekend luxury for me to smoke a ready roll.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/29/03

"Silvan" wrote in message
Charlie Self wrote:

I'd swiped them. I was maybe 9-10 (long before PC howls about younger
than 18 or whatever buying butts). I didn't see anotehr 18 cent pack of
cigarets again until I got to Parris Island's PX.

Good grief. They were like $1.50 when I started smoking. Almost $3 now.

lot more than $3 in some places. I see some stores in far-off points
advertising $40 a carton like it was a bargain.

When VA does the 75-cents-a-pack tax hike, that's it. I've made up my

mind.
No damn way I'm paying $35 a carton to give myself emphyszema.

It's gonna be soooooo hard to roll off those boring midnight miles without
my smokes though. I'll probably gain 250 pounds.