Larry Jaques

Default OT - OLDER THAN DIRT QUIZ

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 15:43:18 -0500, Cape Cod Bob
brought forth from the murky depths:

On 03 Jan 2004 22:05:26 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
wrote:
Just reinforces my point: bans on alcohol don't work, probably can't work. As
someone else noted, many things are invented by a single society, but in the
case of booze, some version or other has been invented by every society we've
ever uncovered.

Charlie, look beyond banning alcohol entirely. How about very heavy
taxation so that drinking beyond a socially accepted range becomes too
expensive to sustain?

That's worked well with all items on the black market, hasn't it?
Nobody uses that expensive heroin, cocaine, crack, etc. do they?

What taxes do is reinforce overexpenditure by the gov't.

As to smoking, subsidizing tobacco and then taxing it to the hilt
doesn't make sense. It's hurting the people (us) in multiple ways.

Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary
http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications