Charlie Self

Default Lee Valley optical center punch

Silvan writes:

On this topic though, I still can't decide how to properly handle things
like "He got straight A's" or similar. Gut says apostrophe for
pluralization is *always* wrong, but "He got straight As" just doesn't work
either. Best avoided as much as possible.

Apostrophe is wrong. The second choice may look wrong but it's right.

Charlie Self

"Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
Alexander Hamilton

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Charlie Self

Swingman responds:

I saw were I did it mysef the other day. I no better, butt my typing fingers
just takeoff on there own sometime's.

There are times when I wish my fingers could think as fast as I can type.

Charlie Self

"Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
Alexander Hamilton

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Charlie Self

Default Lessons in Grammar: WAS Lee Valley optical center punch

Rob Lee notes:

I listened to one of my granddaughters over the holidays. I used to tease

her
about having a speech impediment, overuse o fthe word "like." I can no

longer
tease her about it, because it now seems to be an ACTUAL impediment. Every
third word is the best she can do right now. When you say anything to her

about
it making her speech hard to understand, she says, "Well, you know what I
mean."

snip

The most frequently used teenager verb (conjugated below):

"I was like..."
"He was like...."
"She was like...."
"They were like...."
"We were like..."

Lasts well into the twenties......

Like I know, but I've recently heard some people in their early 40s doing it.
Makes me cringe even more.

Charlie Self

"Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
Alexander Hamilton

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Charlie Self

Silvan writes:

I've been trying to find a programmable shock collar that will give her a
jolt every time she says "you was" or "we was."

(No, no, no, settle down everybody, I'M JUST KIDDING!!!)

Another pet peeve: excess punctuation, especially exclamation points which are
properly used almost never.

Charlie Self

"Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
Alexander Hamilton

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Charlie Self

Jim Wilson responds:

Swingman wrote...
She be watching too much pro sports?

A memorable quote after a Hagler-Hearns (IIRC) bout was stopped by the
referee: "He didn't hurt me! I hurted *him*!"

I be listening to a huddle pep talk a short while ago and couldn't understand a
single word that didn't begin with F or M. And even those were badly slurred.
Ah, Fox Channel.

Charlie Self

"Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
Alexander Hamilton

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Charlie Self

Specter writes:

Tom. I went through that with my youngest daughter. I've made headway, but
now have to work on her "upspeak" (finishing each statement with a rising
tone, as though asking a question). Perhaps kids need to become
multilingual, with varying pronunciation : )

Oh, lord, not again! That was the ne plus ultra of TV speak about a decade ago,
and came close to driving me totally bat****...the TV stations around the
Roanoke Valley are excellent (especially compared to the TV station here), but
even the damned national newscasters got into that one. I thought it was long
gone, dead, buried and rotted away, but evidently the skeleton is rising.

Charlie Self

"Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
Alexander Hamilton

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Charlie Self

Silvan writes:

I hear people, you know, on the radio being interviewed, and they like, you
know say "you know" every other word, you know?

Even, you know, relatively scholarly people.

One explanation I heard was that, you know, it's not acceptable to say, you
know, "uh," so people, you know, say "you know" instead of "uh" now, you
know?

OK, I'll stop it, and I promise to, you know, NEVER do this again, you know?

I'm ready to slap mySELF.

Don't let me stop you.

Charlie Self

"Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
Alexander Hamilton

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Charlie Self

Kevin Fleming writes:

And here's another one (seen mostly on TV DIY shows lately): use of the
word "my" in place of "the"...

"I'm going to use my table saw now to cut this..."
"I'll add my turkey now to the pot..."
"I'll go over to my oven now and check the temperature..."

In the first place, in exactly ZERO of these occurrences are the objects
in question actually owned by the speaker, so the use of "my" is
actually incorrect. In spite of that, did we really think they were
going to add "someone else's" turkey to the pot? Or they were going to
use "someone else's" table saw?

This has unfortunately spread into common usage as well; my sister (over
30 years old) frequently says things like:

"I like to have my orange juice with breakfast"
"I'm going to Starbucks to get my drink"

Here, it's "your." Here's "your" weather report, etc. Ain't mine. I is just
watching.

Charlie Self

"Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
Alexander Hamilton

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Bob Haar

On 2003/12/28 12:21 PM, "Jim Wilson" wrote:

Bob Haar wrote...
I used to be a reasonably good typist, but a hand injury through off my
timing.

Did you do that on purpose? (G)

The hand injury - no; the use of "through" instead of "threw" - I tried to
sneak that buy (:-)

Doug Winterburn

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 13:46:20 -0500, Bob Haar wrote:

On 2003/12/28 12:21 PM, "Jim Wilson" wrote:

Bob Haar wrote...
I used to be a reasonably good typist, but a hand injury through off my
timing.

Did you do that on purpose? (G)

The hand injury - no; the use of "through" instead of "threw" - I tried to
sneak that buy (:-)

What was the price?

-Doug

Jim Wilson

Charlie Self wrote...
Silvan writes:

On this topic though, I still can't decide how to properly handle things
like "He got straight A's" or similar. Gut says apostrophe for
pluralization is *always* wrong, but "He got straight As" just doesn't work
either. Best avoided as much as possible.

Apostrophe is wrong. The second choice may look wrong but it's right.

When needed to prevent confusion, the 's is used for the
plural of capital letters and of words referred to as words.

too many I's
several A's
two plus's
the ha ha's

-- Harbrace College Handbook, 10th Ed., p. 146

George E. Cawthon

Charlie Self wrote:

LP writes:

Inattention to detail seems to be the order of the day, and greatly
detracts from our ability to communicate.

Like, yaknowwhadImean.

I listened to one of my granddaughters over the holidays. I used to tease her
about having a speech impediment, overuse o fthe word "like." I can no longer
tease her about it, because it now seems to be an ACTUAL impediment. Every
third word is the best she can do right now. When you say anything to her about
it making her speech hard to understand, she says, "Well, you know what I
mean."

Not really and, in truth, with her and others like her, I refuse to expend the
energy to figure out what she is saying.

Charlie Self

"Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
Alexander Hamilton

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

It may not do any good, but record a conversation of her
explaining something to you. There is nothing like
listening to yourself repeating a word or a phrase over and
over to understand how stupid it sounds. That's a trick
used in teaching people who need to talk a lot such as
teachers, salesmen, etc. The thing I hate hearing most,
and I have done it, is to repeatedly end a statement with,
"ok?" But "like" is about as detestable.
SWMBO

MMM, smell the fresh content...

I was in conversation with my son. His retort when requested to
detoxify his playroom was as follows: "I am neglected,
underprivileged, and generally put-upon." He is five years of age.

I heartily anticipate adolescent speech.

Warmest regards,
Jenny

P.S. Many expressions of slang are nerve-racking. Please find
following an exemplary list:
1. Take me with./ I want to go with. With what? An elephant?
2. Farther/Further
3. Regardless of presidential position, an individual does not have
editing rights to the dictionary or its syl-LA-bles.
4. Contractions customarily end words. Jeet yet. Nuff said.

George E. Cawthon

Charlie Self wrote:

Kevin Fleming writes:

[...]

If you are talking about TV, there is the familiar "I'll see
you tomorrow at 6 pm." The hell he will, my TV has not
hidden camera in it. I checked!
LRod

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 23:54:31 GMT, Mark
wrote:

The use of Your is one of my pet peeves also.

Seems everything has now become 'your'. When 'your' trying to get a bill
passed in congress, or when 'your' going into a turn at Charlotte at
190, or when 'your' doing or experiencing anything ... I could go on for
ever. Very rarely is 'your' used in a proper context.

And your examples are no exception. You're trying to paint the wrong
word with a wide brush. I don't disagree with your assessment about
the misuse of certain words, but you're going at it the wrong way. I
hope the preceding has illustrated my point.

There is a big difference between the possessive "your" and the
contraction for you are; "you're." All of your examples were supposed
to be contractions. Read them aloud to yourself but speak them as "you
are" instead of "your/you're" and you'll see what I mean.

It as if the speaker is trying to distance themselves from their actions
or trying to include the passive observer.

If you're talking about "your..."

I think I mentioned before the "there/their/they're" group as equally
frequently misapplied.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
Mark

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)

Silvan

Swingman wrote:

She be watching too much pro sports?

No. She's not speaking Ebonics, she's speaking Hee Haw.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Charlie Self

Larry Jaques writes:

P.S: I'm going to stop replying to you until you fix your
damned sig tail. Crikey, man. Have you no shame? EDIT!

sig tail?

I'll check the sig, but I don't know if it has any tail or not.

Shortened it. I was tired of the quote, so I guess the "tail" is all that's
left.

Charlie Self

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Silvan

Mark wrote:

The use of Your is one of my pet peeves also.

Mine is "of." Somebody here did that just recently.

"OF" IS NOT A VERB!!!!!!!!!!!

should of, would of, etc.

I really get annoyed by things like "we should of went"

Then again, the thing about language is that it changes all the time, and
it's a product of the people who speak it. I'll bet some day in the
distant future "your" will mean "you are" and "of" will mean "have." Verb
conjugation will be greatly simplified, and all these misconjugated
irregular verbs like "blowed" and "knowed" will be normalized.

It will be appalling.

Still, the *vast* majority of people don't know any better, and a good case
can be made that many of these things I've mentioned are already a /de
facto/ part of vernacular American English.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

Charlie Self wrote:

Another pet peeve: excess punctuation, especially exclamation points which
are properly used almost never.

My constant, inappropriate overuse of periods of elipsis probably irritates
you too...

Too many years of writing online have corrupted me...

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

T.

Sun, Dec 28, 2003, 1:20pm (EST+5) (LRod) says:
snip Inattention to detail seems to be the order of the day, and
greatly detracts from our ability to communicate.

I agree.

People who can't spell (or type) worth a damn like to argue it doesn't
matter.

Not always. I know any number of people, mostly on here, who
could, but don't, and claim it doesn't matter.

As a professional communicator, I maintain that if one's ideas aren't
clearly and accurately presented, one won't be taken seriously,
irrespective of the efficacy of those ideas.

Here's where I don't quite agree. I agree. However, if you're
saying one has to have accurate spelling to do so, I don't agree.

One of the, if not the, most brilliant person I have ever met,
couldn't spell worth a damn. Excellent communicator, but if he wrote
the same word in a paragraph 3 time, it would usually be spelled 3
different ways, none necessarily right. He didn't spell everything
wrong, but his work had to be checked very carefully, for spelling.

On the other hand, I knew another very brilliant man, chemical
background, who also wrote brilliantly, but loved to use long words -
and always used correctly, and spelled right. All out of his head.
Actually, he usually only did that when his co-workers ****ed him off,
then they'd spend the day with a large dictionary trying to understand
what he wrote. LMAO

JOAT
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of
enthusiasm.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 27 Dec 2003.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

Wes Stewart

wrote:

|On 2003/12/28 12:21 PM, "Jim Wilson" wrote:
|
| Bob Haar wrote...
| I used to be a reasonably good typist, but a hand injury through off my
| timing.
|
| Did you do that on purpose? (G)
|
|The hand injury - no; the use of "through" instead of "threw" - I tried to
|sneak that buy (:-)

Well if yew whir to ask mi four advise, I'd advice ewe knot too due it
again. One thyme is all write, butt any moor wood bee two many.

Like, you know what I mean, Dude?
Wes Stewart

On 28 Dec 2003 18:35:59 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
wrote:
[snip]

|Here, it's "your." Here's "your" weather report, etc. Ain't mine. I is just
|watching.

And during "my" weather report I might learn that I'm in for some
shower "activity."

John Carlson

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 16:02:55 GMT, "Rob Lee"
wrote:

The most frequently used teenager verb (conjugated below):

"I was like..."
"He was like...."
"She was like...."
"They were like...."
"We were like..."

Lasts well into the twenties......

Cheers -

Rob

And the most frequently used (if not the only used) query: "What's up
with that?" Which can mean
- how did that happen?
- why did that happen?
- did that happen?
- will that happen?
- what does that mean?
- what do you think about that?
or probably almost anything else that can end with a question mark.

BTW, I think your conjugation must be the formal and rarely used one.
IME, the present tense is the only one ever employed. So in
describing a conversation that occurred yesterday, one might say
"So I'm like, 'What's up with that?' and he's like ..."

sigh

-- jc
Published e-mail address is strictly for spam collection.
If e-mailing me, please use jc631 at optonline dot net
Norman D. Crow

"Bob Haar" wrote in message
On 2003/12/28 8:20 AM, "LRod" wrote:

snippage

I used to be a reasonably good typist, but a hand injury through off my
timing. Mainly, I hit keys out of order so that letters are transposed.
Because of this, I am seeing the results of stupid spell check software

more
frequently. My wife, who teaches writing at college, laments the era of
spell checkers with the corresponding lazy proof reading. The excuse is

too
often "The computer said it was OK so it has to be the right word." They
don't understand that the spell checker does not understand the semantics,
and can only look up correct spellings, not whether the word is used
appropriately.

Very cute with the *threw* Bob. Here's something else to throw some more mud
in the mix, AND drive a spell checker crazy.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cambrigde Uinervtisy, it deossn't mttaer in
waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the
frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.
The rset can be a total mses and you can sitil raed it wouthit a porbelm.
Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but
the wrod as a wlohe.

Thnaks.

Nahmie

Henry E Schaffer

In article ,
Wes Stewart wrote:
Well if yew whir to ask mi four advise, I'd advice ewe knot too due it
again. One thyme is all write, butt any moor wood bee two many.

Jest bee corset gut bye thee spill chick her doe's knot mien its spilt
wright.
--
--henry schaffer
hes _AT_ ncsu _DOT_ edu
John Carlson

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 13:20:23 +0000, LRod wrote:

But among my top annoyances is the misuse of your/you're, as well as
their/there/they're.

Add in opps for oops.

OWW: Not to mention joiner for jointer and planner for planer.

People who can't spell (or type) worth a damn like to argue it doesn't
matter. As a professional communicator, I maintain that if one's ideas
aren't clearly and accurately presented, one won't be taken seriously,
irrespective of the efficacy of those ideas.

I read a story once about a reporter for (I think) the NY Times who
had written a story in which he confused the words "burro" and
"burrow." His editor sent him a note saying:

"A burro is an ass. A burrow is a hole in the ground. You are
expected to know the difference."

I don't think they make editors -- or reporters -- like they used to.

-- jc
Published e-mail address is strictly for spam collection.
If e-mailing me, please use jc631 at optonline dot net

jo4hn

In days of yore, my father was an English teacher. His favorite saying
regarding punctuation was "When you are in doubt, leave the comma out.
If you don't give a damn, anywhere a comma slam." And a fine poet he was.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Charlie Self wrote:

Silvan writes:

[snip]
Another pet peeve: excess punctuation, especially exclamation points which are
properly used almost never.

Charlie Self

Charlie Self

Larry Jaque writes:

P.S: I'm going to stop replying to you until you fix your
damned sig tail. Crikey, man. Have you no shame? EDIT!

sig tail?

I'll check the sig, but I don't know if it has any tail or not.

snip

I know that it does, Charlie. Can you not SEE it in the above exact
quote of your message?

Should be better now. Where that came from, I have no idea, except that the
set-up seems to add a return every time I change the quote, whether *I* add a
return or not.

Charlie Self

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html