Norman D. Crow

Default Lessons in Grammar: WAS Lee Valley optical center punch

"Bob Haar" wrote in message
On 2003/12/28 8:20 AM, "LRod" wrote:

snippage

I used to be a reasonably good typist, but a hand injury through off my
timing. Mainly, I hit keys out of order so that letters are transposed.
Because of this, I am seeing the results of stupid spell check software

more
frequently. My wife, who teaches writing at college, laments the era of
spell checkers with the corresponding lazy proof reading. The excuse is

too
often "The computer said it was OK so it has to be the right word." They
don't understand that the spell checker does not understand the semantics,
and can only look up correct spellings, not whether the word is used
appropriately.

Very cute with the *threw* Bob. Here's something else to throw some more mud
in the mix, AND drive a spell checker crazy.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cambrigde Uinervtisy, it deossn't mttaer in
waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the
frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.
The rset can be a total mses and you can sitil raed it wouthit a porbelm.
Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but
the wrod as a wlohe.

Thnaks.

Nahmie