John Carlson

Default Lessons in Grammar: WAS Lee Valley optical center punch

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 13:20:23 +0000, LRod wrote:

But among my top annoyances is the misuse of your/you're, as well as
their/there/they're.

Add in opps for oops.

OWW: Not to mention joiner for jointer and planner for planer.

People who can't spell (or type) worth a damn like to argue it doesn't
matter. As a professional communicator, I maintain that if one's ideas
aren't clearly and accurately presented, one won't be taken seriously,
irrespective of the efficacy of those ideas.

I read a story once about a reporter for (I think) the NY Times who
had written a story in which he confused the words "burro" and
"burrow." His editor sent him a note saying:

"A burro is an ass. A burrow is a hole in the ground. You are
expected to know the difference."

I don't think they make editors -- or reporters -- like they used to.

-- jc
Published e-mail address is strictly for spam collection.
If e-mailing me, please use jc631 at optonline dot net