Bob Davis

Default Lee Valley optical center punch

I was looking on the Lee Valley website last night for information on the
large saddle square I found in my Christmas stocking. While browsing, I ran
across their optical center punch. This gadget looks ingenious and might
solve a delimma I've always had - marking the exact center for drilling a
hole. I just got a new drill press and I get frustrated with having a
device that will drill precisely, yet I cannot seem to get it lined up to
start the hole in the right place. Parallax error is rampant when I try to
do this.

Does anyone own or use one of these optical center punches? At $29.95, its
well worth it if it does the job. Otherwise its a big waste of money.

Bob

John Wadsworth

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 14:02:44 GMT, "Bob Davis"
wrote:

Does anyone own or use one of these optical center punches? At $29.95, its
well worth it if it does the job. Otherwise its a big waste of money.

I have one, but seldom use it--a brad-point bit is pretty easy to line
up on a marked dot or crossed line. I think it would work for you,
though, so long as the surface being marked is dead flat. I used it
recently to mark the mounting holes for the horizontal toolbar on my
Tormek.

John Wadsworth
Greg G.

Bob Davis said:

Does anyone own or use one of these optical center punches? At $29.95, its
well worth it if it does the job. Otherwise its a big waste of money.

Either Lee Valley or Garrett Wade sell a mechanical center point
finder. You could make your own with a length of straight 1/4" steel
rod sharpened to a point on one end. Set up time increases with the
use of anything you have to chuck in and out, however.
FWIW,

Greg G.
Silvan

Bob Davis wrote:

hole. I just got a new drill press and I get frustrated with having a
device that will drill precisely, yet I cannot seem to get it lined up to
start the hole in the right place. Parallax error is rampant when I try to
do this.

I haven't used the gizmo in question. It looks damn useful, but it's
spendy, and I can make do without it.

How are you drilling? If you're just marking a big X and then trying to
feed a standard 3/8" bit straight into the dead center of the X, you're
probably not going to get stellar accuracy.

For metal, I use a center punch. Mark the X, hold the punch at an angle to
the piece, line up the point just oh-so, and tap it with a ball pein
hammer. For wood, I do the same thing using a very sharp awl. The trick
in either case is to hold the point where you can see it, then slowly swing
it up to perpendicular without moving it relative to the workpiece.
Difficult to describe, easy to do.

The LV gadget looks like a cool way to avoid the extra hassle of having to
finesse this oh so carefully, and I'm not trying to cost Robin a sale here.
I'm just saying if you're fiscally challenged, you might be able to get by
without it.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Greg G. wrote:
[snip]
Either Lee Valley or Garrett Wade sell a mechanical center point
finder. You could make your own with a length of straight 1/4" steel
rod sharpened to a point on one end. Set up time increases with the
use of anything you have to chuck in and out, however.
FWIW,

Greg G.

I have a starret center/edge finder that I use for mostly metal work.
It is a 1/2" dia cylindrical body of steel that has a round cylinder
at one end and a tapered point at the other. You can chuck that
sucker up, put the point in your dimple and feel how the tapered point
matches up with body. Some one with beter language skills may jump in
to explain this better.

Wes

--
Reply to:
Lycos address is a spam trap.

Rob Lee

snip The LV gadget looks like a cool way to avoid the extra hassle of
having to
finesse this oh so carefully, and I'm not trying to cost Robin a sale

here.
I'm just saying if you're fiscally challenged, you might be able to get by
without it.

snip

Syvain -

No worries - I don't have one of these either...I can't justify it for what
I do!

It is a well made tool - and at a great price for an optical center
punch...but you still hafta need one!

Cheers -

Rob

Silvan

Rob Lee wrote:

Syvain -

Syvain? You trying to say I'm vain or something? Hrmph. Well, so much for
that $1600 order I was about to place.

(Yeah, right. We both wish.

No worries - I don't have one of these either...I can't justify it for
what I do!

That's somehow reassuring. A purveyor of tools, but not a tool pimp.
That's good.

BTW, Robin... I sent you a question a bit ago by email. Now, if you've
been busy and haven't had a chance to catch it, that's absolutely fine.
However, I've been having problems with email, and have a niggling feeling
that I've lost a few into the Great Void lately. I'm wondering if your
reply got lost... Do you have any idea what I'm talking about? Did you
reply? If not, please don't feel compelled to go hunt it down. It's not a
priority matter. My main concern is confirming that I really am losing
mail into never never land.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Rob Lee

Hi -

Please email me again - pretty sure I'm caught up with email replys, but
there is a risk that it got caught in a spam filter...

(hope you weren't trying to sell me vicodin, or the Paris Hilton video....

Cheers -

Rob

"Silvan" wrote in message
Rob Lee wrote:

[...]

Rob Lee

"replies"... sheesh.

t.cable.rogers.com...

"Silvan" wrote in message
Rob Lee wrote:

[...]

Charlie Self

Rob Lee writes:

"replies"... sheesh.

"Rob Lee" wrote in message
et.cable.rogers.com...
Hi -

Please email me again - pretty sure I'm caught up with email replys, but
there is a risk that it got caught in a spam filter...

You know what does that? Reading on the net. You start to write like what
you're reading.

Charlie Self

"Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
Alexander Hamilton

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Charlie Self

Luigi Zanasi writes:

You know what does that? Reading on the net. You start to write like what
you're reading.

Can't be. Robin didn't use an apostrophe -- as in "reply's". More
likely too much testing of the beer glasses. :-)

Possibly. I do wonder if anyone, anywhere in the English speaking world,
bothers to teach the difference between plurals and possessives any more.

Charlie Self

"Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
Alexander Hamilton

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Silvan

Rob Lee wrote:

(hope you weren't trying to sell me vicodin, or the Paris Hilton video....

Vicodin? Should I even ask?

No, nothing like that. It was a question about Brusso hardware.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

Rob Lee wrote:

"replies"... sheesh.

It's OK. You'r Canukistani, so I didn't even notice. Colourful spellings
are all part of the charm.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

Charlie Self wrote:

Possibly. I do wonder if anyone, anywhere in the English speaking world,
bothers to teach the difference between plurals and possessives any more.

Yes. I'll never forget the day one of my English profs felt the need to
lecture us on "its" vs. "it's." I just couldn't believe a university
English class could *need* such a lecture. That was all part of my rude
awakening about the state of education in America.

I used to work in a copy center too, and I had to type peoples term paper's.
(Note, for those who are getting ready to hit the reply button with a
smartass gotcha comment, I said "peoples term paper's" on purpose. It's
called irony people.)

No damn wonder no one has paid any heed to my college degree. It's about
the same as my grandfather's high school diploma.

(I hafta admit on it's vs. its, I sometimes write the wrong thing in spite
of knowing better. You're vs. your too. I edit myself, and I certainly
know the difference, but it's still easy to do. I let one through
occasionally.)

On this topic though, I still can't decide how to properly handle things
like "He got straight A's" or similar. Gut says apostrophe for
pluralization is *always* wrong, but "He got straight As" just doesn't work
either. Best avoided as much as possible.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Charlie Self

Default Lessons in Grammar: WAS Lee Valley optical center punch

LP writes:

Inattention to detail seems to be the order of the day, and greatly
detracts from our ability to communicate.

Like, yaknowwhadImean.

I listened to one of my granddaughters over the holidays. I used to tease her
about having a speech impediment, overuse o fthe word "like." I can no longer
tease her about it, because it now seems to be an ACTUAL impediment. Every
third word is the best she can do right now. When you say anything to her about
it making her speech hard to understand, she says, "Well, you know what I
mean."

Not really and, in truth, with her and others like her, I refuse to expend the
energy to figure out what she is saying.

Charlie Self

"Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
Alexander Hamilton

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Greg G.

Charlie Self said:

I listened to one of my granddaughters over the holidays. I used to tease her
about having a speech impediment, overuse o fthe word "like."

Is she a valley girl?
Like, don't have like a cow man. g

Greg G.
LRod

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 02:53:44 -0500, LP wrote:

Ahhh, my favorite subject.

My personal pet peeve in this area is the inappropriate use of the
word "router", as in "I'm going to router a groove in it." "Router"
is a noun and describes the tool, while "rout" is the verb and
describes the action performed with the (noun) tool.

Don't be disrespecting the homeys, bro. As a former government
employee, verbification is one of the things that drives me nuts. It
starts there and then makes it to the streets.

But among my top annoyances is the misuse of your/you're, as well as
their/there/they're.

Add in opps for oops.

OWW: Not to mention joiner for jointer and planner for planer.

Inattention to detail seems to be the order of the day, and greatly
detracts from our ability to communicate.

People who can't spell (or type) worth a damn like to argue it doesn't
matter. As a professional communicator, I maintain that if one's ideas
aren't clearly and accurately presented, one won't be taken seriously,
irrespective of the efficacy of those ideas.

Thank you.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

I asked an English major shortly prior to his graduation to describe
WHERE to put the apostrophe and he started by saying "Some writers
prefer" and that's when I cut him off! Glad to read that it isn't
merely Engineers that are picky. This was in US Dept of Navy facility
(after reading Sylvans' post).

On 28 Dec 2003 06:58:17 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
wrote:

Can't be. Robin didn't use an apostrophe -- as in "reply's". More
likely too much testing of the beer glasses. :-)

Possibly. I do wonder if anyone, anywhere in the English speaking world,
bothers to teach the difference between plurals and possessives any more.

Charlie Self

Tom Watson responds:

about having a speech impediment, overuse o fthe word "like." I can no

longer
tease her about it, because it now seems to be an ACTUAL impediment. Every
third word is the best she can do right now. When you say anything to her

about
it making her speech hard to understand, she says, "Well, you know what I
mean."

I'm fighting this fight with my eleven year old daughter. I've told
her that she can talk like a child to other children but must do
better when talking to me.

I've encouraged her to think of it as being bilingual.

So far, I'm winning.

Good luck. My granddaughter is now 14, and the impediment has gotten worse each
year...day?

It isn't being bilingual, though: I think these kids talk to each other like
that to fill up time, because they have nothing to say that is important enough
for clear speech and don't know enough to STFU.

Charlie Self

"Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
Alexander Hamilton

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Swingman

I saw were I did it mysef the other day. I no better, butt my typing fingers
just takeoff on there own sometime's.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/23/03

"Silvan" wrote in message

You're vs. your too. I edit myself, and I certainly
know the difference, but it's still easy to do. I let one through
occasionally.)

Rob Lee

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
LP writes:

Inattention to detail seems to be the order of the day, and greatly
detracts from our ability to communicate.

Like, yaknowwhadImean.

I listened to one of my granddaughters over the holidays. I used to tease

her
about having a speech impediment, overuse o fthe word "like." I can no

longer
tease her about it, because it now seems to be an ACTUAL impediment. Every
third word is the best she can do right now. When you say anything to her

about
it making her speech hard to understand, she says, "Well, you know what I
mean."

snip

The most frequently used teenager verb (conjugated below):

"I was like..."
"He was like...."
"She was like...."
"They were like...."
"We were like..."

Lasts well into the twenties......

Cheers -

Rob

Swingman

Except in those cases where "were", "was" and "be" are used interchangeably.

Generally followed by the most important punctuation device in the modern
lexicon: "... you know."

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/23/03

"Rob Lee" wrote in message

The most frequently used teenager verb (conjugated below):

"I was like..."
"He was like...."
"She was like...."
"They were like...."
"We were like..."

Lasts well into the twenties......

Specter

Tom. I went through that with my youngest daughter. I've made headway, but
now have to work on her "upspeak" (finishing each statement with a rising
tone, as though asking a question). Perhaps kids need to become
multilingual, with varying pronunciation : )

Rob

---------------------

"Tom Watson" wrote ...

I'm fighting this fight with my eleven year old daughter. I've told
her that she can talk like a child to other children but must do
better when talking to me.

I've encouraged her to think of it as being bilingual

Silvan

Charlie Self wrote:

Not really and, in truth, with her and others like her, I refuse to expend
the energy to figure out what she is saying.

You know, it's really, like, you know, endemic in today's, you know,
society.

I hear people, you know, on the radio being interviewed, and they like, you
know say "you know" every other word, you know?

Even, you know, relatively scholarly people.

One explanation I heard was that, you know, it's not acceptable to say, you
know, "uh," so people, you know, say "you know" instead of "uh" now, you
know?

OK, I'll stop it, and I promise to, you know, NEVER do this again, you know?

I'm ready to slap mySELF.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

Swingman wrote:

Except in those cases where "were", "was" and "be" are used
interchangeably.

That's the battle I'm fighting with my daughter. She can't really help it,
because it's the local vernacular. However, I grew up here too, dammit,
and I can conjugate the verb "to be" correctly.

I've been trying to find a programmable shock collar that will give her a
jolt every time she says "you was" or "we was."

(No, no, no, settle down everybody, I'M JUST KIDDING!!!)

Generally followed by the most important punctuation device in the modern
lexicon: "... you know."

I know.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Bob Haar

On 2003/12/28 8:20 AM, "LRod" wrote:

[...]

I would add to the list the people who don't recognize that 'sight', 'site'
and 'cite' are different words with quite different meanings.

I used to be a reasonably good typist, but a hand injury through off my
timing. Mainly, I hit keys out of order so that letters are transposed.
Because of this, I am seeing the results of stupid spell check software more
frequently. My wife, who teaches writing at college, laments the era of
spell checkers with the corresponding lazy proof reading. The excuse is too
often "The computer said it was OK so it has to be the right word." They
don't understand that the spell checker does not understand the semantics,
and can only look up correct spellings, not whether the word is used
appropriately.

Swingman

She be watching too much pro sports?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/23/03

"Silvan" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:

Except in those cases where "were", "was" and "be" are used
interchangeably.

That's the battle I'm fighting with my daughter. She can't really help

it,
because it's the local vernacular. However, I grew up here too, dammit,
and I can conjugate the verb "to be" correctly.

Michael Daly

On 28-Dec-2003, LRod wrote:

But among my top annoyances is the misuse of your/you're, as well as
their/there/they're.

For me, it's less/fewer. Not even the journalists and editors
bother to get it right anymore.

People who can't spell (or type) worth a damn like to argue it doesn't
matter.

I met one of those once - a university English Literature professor!
She submitted an article to our club's newsletter and, after reading
it, I advised the editor to send it back to her for a rewrite.
Imagine what the students are learning from her!

Mike
Kevin P. Fleming

LRod wrote:

But among my top annoyances is the misuse of your/you're, as well as
their/there/they're.

And here's another one (seen mostly on TV DIY shows lately): use of the
word "my" in place of "the"...

"I'm going to use my table saw now to cut this..."
"I'll add my turkey now to the pot..."
"I'll go over to my oven now and check the temperature..."

In the first place, in exactly ZERO of these occurrences are the objects
in question actually owned by the speaker, so the use of "my" is
actually incorrect. In spite of that, did we really think they were
going to add "someone else's" turkey to the pot? Or they were going to
use "someone else's" table saw?

This has unfortunately spread into common usage as well; my sister (over
30 years old) frequently says things like:

"I like to have my orange juice with breakfast"
"I'm going to Starbucks to get my drink"

Well, like, you know, DUH, of course it's YOUR orange juice, it came out
of YOUR refrigerator :-)

Mark

Charlie Self wrote:

When you say anything to her about
it making her speech hard to understand, she says, "Well, you know what I
mean."

Not really and, in truth, with her and others like her, I refuse to expend the
energy to figure out what she is saying.

My God, Charlie, sounds like Wife and I.

Part of it is that Man/ Woman communication thing and part of it is her
not learning 'English' until she was about 15 when she came to the U.S.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)

Jim Wilson

Silvan wrote...
(I hafta admit on it's vs. its, I sometimes write the wrong thing in spite
of knowing better. You're vs. your too. I edit myself, and I certainly
know the difference, but it's still easy to do. I let one through
occasionally.)

Me, too. Just remember:

It's is not, it isn't ain't, and it's it's, not its, if you mean it is.
If you don't it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's. It isn't
our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.

Jim

Kevin P. Fleming

Silvan wrote:

I used to work in a copy center too, and I had to type peoples term paper's.
(Note, for those who are getting ready to hit the reply button with a
smartass gotcha comment, I said "peoples term paper's" on purpose. It's
called irony people.)

As Dave Barry wrote in a column a couple of years back, in common usage
an apostrophe is now a warning that "an S is coming". I have actually
seen them in the _middle_ of words where there is just no possible way a
rational person could think they belonged there. It's very sad.

What makes me even more sad is seeing signs, posters and advertisements
with these gross grammatical, punctuation and spelling errors. In nearly
every case, these items were reviewed by at least one person other than
the writer, if not many more than one. If I owned a sign shop, I would
refuse to make signs for people with these obvious errors; my policy
would be that I'd fix them for free (if possible), and if they don't
like it they can go elsewhere!

Jim Wilson

Swingman wrote...
She be watching too much pro sports?

A memorable quote after a Hagler-Hearns (IIRC) bout was stopped by the
referee: "He didn't hurt me! I hurted *him*!"

Jim
Jim Wilson

Bob Haar wrote...
I used to be a reasonably good typist, but a hand injury through off my
timing.

Did you do that on purpose? (G)

Jim
Steve

"Kevin P. Fleming" wrote in message

----------------8---------------------------
This has unfortunately spread into common usage as well; my sister (over
30 years old) frequently says things like:

"I like to have my orange juice with breakfast"
"I'm going to Starbucks to get my drink"

Well, like, you know, DUH, of course it's YOUR orange juice, it came out
of YOUR refrigerator :-)

I would not argue with your sister on that one, maybe she likes to have OJ
once a day, she is saying she likes to have hers(sp?) with breakfast. If she
said "I like to have OJ with breakfast", that doesn't preclude her from
having it with lunch too. Example conversation below:

Kevin = K Kevins(sp? I think there's supposed to be an apostrophe?) Sister =

K--Good morning sis', I just stopped by to install these fabulous mahogany
floor to ceiling bookcases for your new library. I'm sorry it's so early,
but I wanted to get an early start because there are seven of them and I'll
have to make a couple of trips, and then try to get the rolling ladder on
this afternoon. (now wiping slobber/drool off keyboard) I brought some
breakfast burritos for us.

S--Morning Kev', I can't wait to fill up the new cases. What, no OJ?

K--Sorry, I forgot, I don't drink it at breakfast, I have MINE (not
shouting, just emphasizing) in the afternoon, in the warm, dappled (sp?)
sunlight under the big tree in the backyard, tossing a ball or stick for
Buster The Beast at Tenagra-good boy. (Sorry, that's me)

S-"I like to have my OJ with breakfast."

K-I won't forget next time, just make the check out to "Kevin Fleming",
since you're my sister I'll give you a break, make it for $10,000 even.

End of story. See how nice that works.

Steve

Kevin P. Fleming

Steve wrote:

I would not argue with your sister on that one, maybe she likes to have OJ
once a day, she is saying she likes to have hers(sp?) with breakfast. If she
said "I like to have OJ with breakfast", that doesn't preclude her from
having it with lunch too. Example conversation below:

OK, I'll use a better example:

"I always have a glass of my orange juice with breakfast"

This is closer to what she says... but I don't really record it all for
fear it will corrupt my own language skills :-)

big snip

K-I won't forget next time, just make the check out to "Kevin Fleming",
since you're my sister I'll give you a break, make it for $10,000 even.

End of story. See how nice that works.

ROFL! Nice job.