LRod

Default Lessons in Grammar: WAS Lee Valley optical center punch

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 23:54:31 GMT, Mark
wrote:

The use of Your is one of my pet peeves also.

Seems everything has now become 'your'. When 'your' trying to get a bill
passed in congress, or when 'your' going into a turn at Charlotte at
190, or when 'your' doing or experiencing anything ... I could go on for
ever. Very rarely is 'your' used in a proper context.

And your examples are no exception. You're trying to paint the wrong
word with a wide brush. I don't disagree with your assessment about
the misuse of certain words, but you're going at it the wrong way. I
hope the preceding has illustrated my point.

There is a big difference between the possessive "your" and the
contraction for you are; "you're." All of your examples were supposed
to be contractions. Read them aloud to yourself but speak them as "you
are" instead of "your/you're" and you'll see what I mean.

It as if the speaker is trying to distance themselves from their actions
or trying to include the passive observer.

If you're talking about "your..."

I think I mentioned before the "there/their/they're" group as equally
frequently misapplied.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net