T.

Default Lee Valley optical center punch

Sun, Dec 28, 2003, 9:26am says:
I asked an English major shortly prior to his graduation to describe
WHERE to put the apostrophe and he started by saying "Some writers
prefer" and that's when I cut him off! Glad to read that it isn't merely
Engineers that are picky. This was in US Dept of Navy facility (after
reading Sylvans' post).

Used to be, and probably still is, one of the most dangerous things
in the military, was an 01 with a pen. Give 'em something to write, and
they want to show off their education. They'd make it as verbose as
possible, and use the biggest words they can look up. Problem was,
nobody could understand what they were trying to say. We could normally
chop 2-3 pages down to a paragraph, usually a short paragraph at that,
and get the point across.

The military used the K.I.S.S. principle in writing. Keep It
Simple Stupid. Most people read at an 8th grade level; yes, even the
college grads. Write at an 8th grade level, and you get it across to
everyone - well, there's always that certain percentage that doesn't get
anything. Write at a higher level, and a good percentage of your
readers won't get it.

JOAT
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of
enthusiasm.
- Sir Winston Churchill

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 27 Dec 2003.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/