Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best Woodworking Magazine

I got my renewal notice for FWW, just after getting that horrible issue
with the article on clamping - yea, one of those Irwin hand clamps will
apply more pressure than my Bessy K body. I don't think so...

Anyway, I realize that what use to be the unrivaled best is perhaps no
more. What do you think is the best woodworking magazine for the
advanced amateur/pro market?

Harvey
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 17:09:23 GMT, ROY! wrote:

So with all that being said, I find that as my woodworking skills
advance, Woodwork magazine continues to become more interesting and
useful. The current issue has an article several pages long which goes
into detail about wipe on finishes and finishing by a very reputable
author. This article alone would be worth the price of a year's
subscription in my humble opinion.
http://www.woodwork-mag.com/

I hear ya'!

Those are the Popular Woodworking folks and I really like their
approach! Flexner recently got kind of unfairly (my opinion) beat
up on this forum for his "Home Center Finishes" article in another
publication, but I've learned lots from him.

Chris Schwartz is an excellent editor.

What I find kind of funny is that I'm a big fan of the Tage Frid
school of no-nonsense, getting it done, no-fru-fru, woodworking. Pop
Wood & Woodworking seem more "Fridian" to me than the magazine Tage
made what it is (was?).

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 11:23:21 -0400, eclipsme
wrote:

I got my renewal notice for FWW, just after getting that horrible issue
with the article on clamping - yea, one of those Irwin hand clamps will
apply more pressure than my Bessy K body. I don't think so...

Anyway, I realize that what use to be the unrivaled best is perhaps no
more. What do you think is the best woodworking magazine for the
advanced amateur/pro market?

Harvey

I still believe FWW is the best, although it has lost a few points
lately. Personally, I prefer to buy Taunton Press woodworking books
--they are a better value, although some readers like the
advertisements contained in magazines.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 20, 9:51 pm, (J T) wrote:
Sat, Oct 20, 2007, 11:23am (eclipsme) doth query:
snip What do you think is the best woodworking magazine for the
advanced amateur/pro market?

WoodenBoat.

JOAT
"I'm an Igor, thur. We don't athk quethtionth."
"Really? Why not?"
"I don't know, thur. I didn't athk."

I still like some of the plans that FWW publishes. I also like many
of those in Woodsmith. I too like Woodwork but the best advice mag
has been the precious few issues of "Woodworking". Its difficult to
get in my area and does not offer a subscription yet but it is also ad
free and, from what I have seen so far, run by artisans who sound more
like they know what they are doing.

Posted to rec.woodworking
MB MB is offline

Woodowrkers journal isn't bad for 12 $/yr. I never subscribe for more
than a year, and try different ones every year. Go to B&N or Borders,
have a cup of coffee and read them all. Then you can decide. I like
the FWW furniture galleries. (But I was wondering the same thing about
the article about clamping forces. Quick grip grater than K Body?)

Mitch

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 20, 11:23 am, eclipsme wrote:
I got my renewal notice for FWW, just after getting that horrible issue
with the article on clamping - yea, one of those Irwin hand clamps will
apply more pressure than my Bessy K body. I don't think so...

Anyway, I realize that what use to be the unrivaled best is perhaps no
more. What do you think is the best woodworking magazine for the
advanced amateur/pro market?

Harvey

Every magazine goes hot and cold. After all, do you really stop
writing about nails, just because you wrote about them when you were
still black and white?

I enjoy going through all the ads in any of the woodworking
magazines...mostly to take down URL's of those ads that interest me.
Then I go visit their sites and learn more about what the specific
manufacturer has to sell me. So, believe it or not, I buy magazines to
look at the ads. Seldom do I buy a magazine because there is a shoot-
out between Sikorsky and Bell shredders.
For opinions and technical input, I come here to the Wreck, or I visit
Woodweb.com or call my colleagues.
A good tool/equipment dealer will tell me; "Rob, this unit is not
quite as good as this one, but it is 95% there and you save a ton of
dough going this route."

My cynical outlook about magazine reviews came after I was asked to
buy an ad in a well-known audio magazine if I wanted a review.
The bigger the ad, the better the review. I'm not saying they're all
like that, but business is business, and politics is..well...business
too. You see, FWW and WOOD etc...NEED the Delta's and Porter Cables,
Ridgids and so on...if they want to stay in business, they have to
kiss a little ass.

The rest, like the clamping article..is just filler.... and they're
scrambling for filler. ALL magazines suffer that lot. All you have to
do is pick up a copy of Playboy if you REALLY want to learn about GE
Silicone II.... oops.. different kinda filler.

Posted to rec.woodworking

WoodenBoat . . . 'Porn for Boatbuilders'

"J T" wrote

WoodenBoat.

Posted to rec.woodworking

eclipsme wrote:
I got my renewal notice for FWW, just after getting that horrible issue
with the article on clamping - yea, one of those Irwin hand clamps will
apply more pressure than my Bessy K body. I don't think so...

One thing that people haven't mentioned is that the hand clamps in that
article are the new "XP" ones, which can generate way more force than
the old ones. They're rated at 550lbs for one-handed clamping, and
900lbs for two-handed.

According to this post in the sawmill creek forums
(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost...2&postcount=52) the
K-bodys tested out at about 800-900 lbs, depending on whether he used
one or two hands.

So I don't think it's totally unreasonable...

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Sat, Oct 20, 2007, 11:23am (eclipsme) doth query:
I got my renewal notice for FWW, just after getting that horrible issue
with the article on clamping - yea, one of those Irwin hand clamps will
apply more pressure than my Bessy K body. I don't think so...
Anyway, I realize that what use to be the unrivaled best is perhaps no
more. What do you think is the best woodworking magazine for the
advanced amateur/pro market?

Almost forgot. Popular Mechanics. Some excellent woodworking
plans. But I let my subscription lapse - I believe they go into too
much detail on some of their reporting on the war in Iraq, and similar.
Not because of the moral, spiritual, or whatever issues - but because
it's like, "Hey terrorists, if you do this, you can cause a lot of
damage". The trend seems to be write about anything and everything,
don't hold back a thing. I figure the terrorists are gonna come up with
enough nasty stuff on their own, no sense in giving them hints. Their
writers aren't the only ones doing the same thing, and there's plenty of
politicians ready to open their mouths telling about how easy it would
be for terrorists to do this, or that, and the horrible results.
There's times when something doesn't need to be printed, or said. But
the woodworking plans are good.

JOAT
"I'm an Igor, thur. We don't athk quethtionth."
"Really? Why not?"
"I don't know, thur. I didn't athk."

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ron Magen wrote:
WoodenBoat . . . 'Porn for Boatbuilders'

"J T" wrote

WoodenBoat.

Wow. It has been years since I looked at it. May not be a bad way to
spend a year!

Harvey
Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris Friesen wrote:
eclipsme wrote:
I got my renewal notice for FWW, just after getting that horrible
issue with the article on clamping - yea, one of those Irwin hand
clamps will apply more pressure than my Bessy K body. I don't think so...

One thing that people haven't mentioned is that the hand clamps in that
article are the new "XP" ones, which can generate way more force than
the old ones. They're rated at 550lbs for one-handed clamping, and
900lbs for two-handed.

According to this post in the sawmill creek forums
(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost...2&postcount=52) the
K-bodys tested out at about 800-900 lbs, depending on whether he used
one or two hands.

So I don't think it's totally unreasonable...

Chris

Well, IMHO this is only one of the things wrong with this as well as
other issues. Still, by your figures the K body still wins, but the
point is it appears that this guy pulled the numbers out of a hat.
Anyway, overall I think the magazine is just not what it used to be.

Harvey
Posted to rec.woodworking

George Max wrote:

Woodwork and Woodworking are different publications.

They are, and I am confused. I'll have to check out Woodwork, but I
still like the other two. G
Posted to rec.woodworking

eclipsme wrote:
Chris Friesen wrote:
eclipsme wrote:
[...]

He described his methodology for measuring clamping force. Now one
can argue the method's validity but he didn't "pull the numbers out of
a hat".

Anyway, overall I think the magazine is just not what it used to be.

Harvey

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 20, 3:07 pm, B A R R Y wrote:

Flexner recently got kind of unfairly (my opinion) beat
up on this forum for his "Home Center Finishes" article in another publication, but I've learned lots from him.

Certainly put me in that group. For years his books on basic
finishing were the consulted regularly by me and thousands of others.
His common sense, methodical appirach to finishing sure helped me. I
realized after reading many of his articles, that sometimes, no matter
what you do, things just don't work out when you are finishing.

He used to participate in other forums, but doesn't anymore because he
can't defend himself against the know it alls. When you start with "I
hate Minwax because it sucks and it made my project look bad, and I'll
never use it again", how do you respond? Off group emails with him
let me know he really hates conflict over such pointless drivel.

He write articles like the ones metioned above because there is a need
to write them. Besides, home center finishes are usually perfect for
most needs. Personally, it is a rare bird indeed that knows how to
use even those to their fullest potential.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Very disapointed in FWW 14" bandsaw test. But it is by far the # 1 in
my book. I also subscribe to WJ,Popular and wood. It sure is nice to
have FWW have the contents on there spline for quick reference when
saving the mags. WJ and wood do it off and on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Woodwork and Woodworking are different publications.

Second that - I haven't read Woodwork, but Woodworking is definitely
my favorite. Woodworking (www.woodworking-magazine.com) is the one by
some of the Pop Wood folks (Chris Schwarz et al.), and although they
don't do subscriptions yet, I think it's a really solid publication.
No advertising, and a good balance of hand and power tool coverage. I
like Pop Wood also - that would probably be my 2nd choice. Wood would
probably be my first recommendation to someone just starting out.
I still sort of like FWW, and the Reader's Gallery is impressive, but
I let my sub lapse in favor of buying the hardbound collection of
Woodworking Issues 1-7. Also, FWW has an online subscription that I
think is pretty valuable - you can download (almost?) any issue from
their history (including older and possibly better ones), search by
topic, etc. However, their magazine and the online service are quite
expensive ($35 per year for either one, slightly cheaper if you get
both). Recently I've been browsing them at the library or bookstore,
but haven't missed it too much.

Just my opinions,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Woodwork and Woodworking are different publications.

Also, FWW has an online subscription that I
think is pretty valuable - you can download (almost?) any issue from
their history (including older and possibly better ones), search by
topic, etc. However, their magazine and the online service are quite
expensive ($35 per year for either one, slightly cheaper if you get
both). Recently I've been browsing them at the library or bookstore,
but haven't missed it too much.

Which sort of smokes me. One would think that if you subscribe to the
printed magazine that on-line access would be a gimme.
And, I wasted $14.95 last year; I just don't have the time to read
everything I subscribe to now.

--
Dave in Houston