Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best Woodworking Magazine

On Oct 20, 3:07 pm, B A R R Y wrote:

Flexner recently got kind of unfairly (my opinion) beat
up on this forum for his "Home Center Finishes" article in another publication, but I've learned lots from him.

Certainly put me in that group. For years his books on basic
finishing were the consulted regularly by me and thousands of others.
His common sense, methodical appirach to finishing sure helped me. I
realized after reading many of his articles, that sometimes, no matter
what you do, things just don't work out when you are finishing.

He used to participate in other forums, but doesn't anymore because he
can't defend himself against the know it alls. When you start with "I
hate Minwax because it sucks and it made my project look bad, and I'll
never use it again", how do you respond? Off group emails with him
let me know he really hates conflict over such pointless drivel.

He write articles like the ones metioned above because there is a need
to write them. Besides, home center finishes are usually perfect for
most needs. Personally, it is a rare bird indeed that knows how to
use even those to their fullest potential.

Robert