Mike

Default The Best Woodworking Magazine .....

of all time is? And why?

Mike

Charlie Self

Mike wrote:
of all time is? And why?

Mike

For? Beginners? Intermediates? Experts? People interested in specific
aspects, such as turning, marquetry, box making, etc.? Trade magazine
such as Woodshop News or Cabinetmaker? Primarily plans, such as
Woodsmith, or ShopNotes?

Quite probably the old American Woodworker was near the top of the list
for hobbyist woodworkers, back in the days when it was in black &
white. Today, it's a tug of war.

Robatoy

In article .com,
"Mike" wrote:

of all time is? And why?

Mike

Fine Woodworking by Taunton Press comes to mind.
They don't always cover topics of interest to me.. but when they do,
they do a good job.
I leaned on that magazine pretty hard when I started off in 1976.

It must be a bitch of a job to try to stay fresh after 30 years.
Dave Balderstone

In article .com,
Mike wrote:

of all time is? And why?

The one in my mailbox when I get home from work, because I have
something new to read whilst taking a dump.

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
Mark & Juanita

On 14 Aug 2005 14:58:10 -0700, "Mike" wrote:

of all time is? And why?

Mike

Didn't we just have this thread? I'm thinking its time for the split the
group or metric vs. imperial measurements thread. Although it has also
been a while since we've had the "best finish for a butcher block" thread
also.

Prometheus

On 14 Aug 2005 14:58:10 -0700, "Mike"
wrote:

of all time is? And why?

Whichever one you've got a subscription to, because it comes right to
the mailbox. Seriously, go to a news stand or bookstore and compare
them on any given month- they're all pretty much the same. I like
Woodsmith because it comes on matte paper and doesn't have ads. If I
liked glossy paper and ads, any of the others would do just as well.
Any given one of them is going to have one or all of the following on
any given month:

How to tune up your plane/chisels/planer
The secret to perfect joinery
A bunch of user tips
An article on finishes
An article about glue
A plan or two for some stuff you really don't need that month
A head-to-head comparison of routers/tablesaws/bandsaws/air nailers

They're all pretty much the same when it comes right down to it, and
you could pretty much flip a coin IMO.

Dave W

The early issues of Fine Woodworking were wholly different than the current
breed. I think the change has something to do with people getting older and
less driven to make the magazine the best possible. Now the magi seems to
be a little fussy and overly deferential to the gods of woodworking.
Dave

RayV

As a newbie I prefer Wood magazine. Lots of shop and jig projects and
the woodworking projects are usually in my skill/tool level.

Woodworkers Journal is NFG due to the *free* book scam. This one won't
get renewed.

American Woodworker is OK but a lot of advertisments and most of the
projects are beyond my current skills.

Only received one issue of Shopnotes, so no opinion yet.

CW

Let's do mailboxes.

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

Didn't we just have this thread? I'm thinking its time for the split

the
group or metric vs. imperial measurements thread. Although it has also
been a while since we've had the "best finish for a butcher block" thread
also.

-----+

-----+

New woodworking magazine [email protected] Woodworking 42 July 31st 05 06:17 PM
FA: Woodworking magazine back issues Buddy Matlosz Woodturning 0 February 15th 05 11:24 PM
New Woodworking Magazine? John E. Flatley, Jr. Woodworking 26 February 8th 04 03:44 PM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 12:47 AM
New Woodworking Magazine... JackChatfield Woodworking 13 October 1st 03 06:35 AM