JackChatfield

Default New Woodworking Magazine...

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has heard about a new woodworking magazine
called American Router? I was surfing the web the other day and came
across their site. www.americanrouter.com It appears from their
website that it is going to be a well done publication with a lot of
useful information and projects.

They also seem to offer Furniture and CabinetMaking magazine from
England. (Along with another non-woodworking title) I consider
myself a fairly good woodworker, but am sure I am not using my router
to its potential. I sure don't use all those profiles I see in the
many router bit/woodworking catalogs I get buried in every month!

I contacted the company to get a little more info. on the new
magazine. They said it is a new publication that will come out every
other month and will apparently be very project oriented. Has anyone
else heard of them or know anything about it…? From the looks of it I
guess I will have to make room in my workshop for another magazine!

Jack

Edwin Pawlowski

"JackChatfield" wrote in message

but am sure I am not using my router
to its potential. I sure don't use all those profiles I see in the
many router bit/woodworking catalogs I get buried in every month!

Wow, Jack, I was thinking the same thing. My router just does not get the
workout it deserves. Every time I think of the router being underutilized, I
get sad so I took some action.

Instead of a magazine full of ads that we've all seen dozens of times, I
invested in a book. So far, I've gotten a book from Sears and one from Pat
Warner.

I feel much better since I got these books so you may want to give them a
try yourself. This way you don't have to clutter the mailbox with a
bi-monthly publication. If they offered free 1 year subscriptions to the
guys on the wreck, I'd give it a try. Next time you contact the publisher
(you seem to be good friends) why not ask them about it. They'd probably go
for it.

BTW, Jack, I've not seen any post by you here before; what kind of projects
have you been doing?. I hope you become a regular contributor as we can
always use some good tips and help. What I despise is the guys that come
along and try to promote themselves or their company rather than being a
regular help here. Don't you just hate that?

Let us know on the freebies.
Ed

Leon

Ouuuhhhh chills just ran down my back...

todd

[...]

I also happened on this website recently, and I was incredibly impressed. I
agree that the layout and content are simply amazing. I suspect that the
print magazine will be equally impressive. Next to the Gutenberg bible, I
think this will be the most important publication since the invention of the
printed word.

I, too, contacted the publisher and was told that a 1-year subscription
would be $24.95 and a 2-year would be $49.90 (limited to Canada and the US).
That's a whopping 30% off the newsstand price. *IF* you could find one in a
newsstand at all. I'm sure these will fly off the newsstand shelf as soon
as they arrive.

I'm not just making room for another magazine, I'm cancelling my other
subscriptions. FWW pales in comparison to the quality of this periodical.
I'm ordering two subscriptions in case one of my issues becomes lost.

todd

Charlie Self

Mark & Juanita responds:

I was wondering if anyone has heard about a new woodworking magazine
called American Router? I was surfing the web the other day

... yep, there's gotta be a book out there somewhere, "How to make
millions selling your product on Usenet by acting like a clueless idiot"

Heh. Like it.

else heard of them or know anything about it€¦? From the looks of it I
guess I will have to make room in my workshop for another magazine!

Knock yourself out. I personally worry more about making room in my
workshop for another tool. The magazines usually come to, and are read
in, the house.

The editor appears to be Alan Goodsell, who, IIRC, came to the States from GB
to take over as marketing director for CMT (maybe another company, Jesada?).
The sample pages of the magazine on their site look pretty good, but at $24.95,
it will be on the stands for a few issues before I do anything about it, one
way or the other.

It would be nice if the marketing departments didn't figure everyone in the
world was stupider than they are. From personal experience, I can vouch for the
fact that the opposite is true.

Charlie Self

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit
soft."
Theodore Roosevelt

TomL

On 30 Sep 2003 13:29:20 -0700, (David Hall)
wrote:

(Charlie Self) wrote in message SNIP

It would be nice if the marketing departments didn't figure everyone in the
world was stupider than they are. From personal experience, I can vouch for the
fact that the opposite is true.

Charlie Self

Oh, I don't know. I counted 6 responses to the marketing troll's post.
At least a couple of which indicated that they had visited the mag's
site as the troll had hoped. How many visited and didn't respond? I
think the marketing dept accomplished exactly what they set out to
accomplish. Kinda like the ads on TV that are so bad we absolutely
hate them. That was the point, we hate the ad so much that we remember
the ad and the product - goal accomplished by the marketing dept once
again. Hey, it's in all the Marketing 101 textbooks, so just imagine
what's in the post-graduate marketing texts.

Dave Hall

Hey Dave, here is ANTI- Marketing 101 ....
Wait until this mag offers a 'try before you buy', you know, the offer
where the first issue is a trial issue and you may just write CANCEL
on the invoice with no further obligations if you are not completely
satisfied. I'm thinking many of us could come up with enough names and
addresses of friends and relatives (trial subscribers, non-woodworkers
of course), and request a trial issue for a single one of them, let's
say one per 4 week interval, and wind up with a year or so of the mag
at no cost.
I'd forgive Mr. Chatfield's transgression after maybe 6 or 7 or 8
issues, and certainly turnabout is fair play.

TomL

Edwin Pawlowski

"TomL" wrote in message
Oh, I don't know. I counted 6 responses to the marketing troll's post.
At least a couple of which indicated that they had visited the mag's
site as the troll had hoped. How many visited and didn't respond? I
think the marketing dept accomplished exactly what they set out to
accomplish.

I admit to the curiosity factor, but they did not accomplish their goal. I
bought nothing. It does not matter how many people look, it is the sales
that pays the bills.

I just like to call it to their attention that we are not so gullible as to
actually believe they just happened to find this wonderful site that will
change our lives forever. The copy writers just don't know how to
communicate away from the sales brochure.
Ed

David Hall

Hey Dave, here is ANTI- Marketing 101 ....
Wait until this mag offers a 'try before you buy', you know, the offer
where the first issue is a trial issue and you may just write CANCEL
on the invoice with no further obligations if you are not completely
satisfied. I'm thinking many of us could come up with enough names and
addresses of friends and relatives (trial subscribers, non-woodworkers
of course), and request a trial issue for a single one of them, let's
say one per 4 week interval, and wind up with a year or so of the mag
at no cost.
I'd forgive Mr. Chatfield's transgression after maybe 6 or 7 or 8
issues, and certainly turnabout is fair play.

TomL

Hey, I didn't advocate this kind of marketing and I did not and don't intend to
visit the web page or get the rag. I was responding to the comment that seemed
to say marketing departments that use this BS tactic are dumb. To the contrary,
it works and the responses to this thread just tend to prove that. I
personnally doubt that the mag would be in the least upset if you or others
spammed them with fake trial issue sign-ups. For every 20 or 30 of those they
will probably get a long term subscription and even if not they can use the
number of trial issue subscriptions in marketing their ad space to advertisers
- their real customers. So go ahead, make their day.

Dave Hall
David Hall

I admit to the curiosity factor, but they did not accomplish their goal. I
bought nothing. It does not matter how many people look, it is the sales
that pays the bills.

I just like to call it to their attention that we are not so gullible as to
actually believe they just happened to find this wonderful site that will
change our lives forever. The copy writers just don't know how to
communicate away from the sales brochure.
Ed

The purpose of the troll was to get you to look. Volume takes care of the rest.
For every so many that look, 1 will subscribe - and they have probably done the
market research to know what that "every so many" is. Not trying to catch
everyone, just 1 in a 100 or 1 in a 1,000 or 1 in 10,000...
Silvan

Mark & Juanita wrote:

... yep, there's gotta be a book out there somewhere, "How to make
millions selling your product on Usenet by acting like a clueless idiot"

Hello!

My name is Bob, Bob Honest, and I was browing the magazine section at my
local Wal-Mart /SUPERCENTER/(tm) today when I happened upon this great new
magazine from Hearst(tm) Publications by the name of /Money for
Nothing/....

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

*** Rec.Woodworking Mini-FAQ *** 130 (w/How to block the stupid stuff!) David F. Eisan Woodworking 1 September 23rd 03 01:05 PM
Any comments on Woodworking at Home DVD Magazine? Charles Jackson Woodworking 2 September 17th 03 06:07 PM
*** Rec.Woodorking Mini-FAQ *** 128 (w/How to Filter!) David F. Eisan Woodworking 0 September 11th 03 01:03 PM
Is there a FAQ? Neil Woods Woodworking 4 August 21st 03 05:46 PM
*** Rec.Woodorking mini-FAQ*** 119 now w/more cheese flavour! David F. Eisan Woodworking 0 July 22nd 03 12:22 PM