David Hall

Default New Woodworking Magazine...

Hey Dave, here is ANTI- Marketing 101 ....
Wait until this mag offers a 'try before you buy', you know, the offer
where the first issue is a trial issue and you may just write CANCEL
on the invoice with no further obligations if you are not completely
satisfied. I'm thinking many of us could come up with enough names and
addresses of friends and relatives (trial subscribers, non-woodworkers
of course), and request a trial issue for a single one of them, let's
say one per 4 week interval, and wind up with a year or so of the mag
at no cost.
I'd forgive Mr. Chatfield's transgression after maybe 6 or 7 or 8
issues, and certainly turnabout is fair play.

TomL

Hey, I didn't advocate this kind of marketing and I did not and don't intend to
visit the web page or get the rag. I was responding to the comment that seemed
to say marketing departments that use this BS tactic are dumb. To the contrary,
it works and the responses to this thread just tend to prove that. I
personnally doubt that the mag would be in the least upset if you or others
spammed them with fake trial issue sign-ups. For every 20 or 30 of those they
will probably get a long term subscription and even if not they can use the
number of trial issue subscriptions in marketing their ad space to advertisers
- their real customers. So go ahead, make their day.

Dave Hall