Posted to rec.woodworking
eclipsme eclipsme is offline

Default Best Woodworking Magazine

Chris Friesen wrote:
eclipsme wrote:
I got my renewal notice for FWW, just after getting that horrible
issue with the article on clamping - yea, one of those Irwin hand
clamps will apply more pressure than my Bessy K body. I don't think so...

One thing that people haven't mentioned is that the hand clamps in that
article are the new "XP" ones, which can generate way more force than
the old ones. They're rated at 550lbs for one-handed clamping, and
900lbs for two-handed.

According to this post in the sawmill creek forums
(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost...2&postcount=52) the
K-bodys tested out at about 800-900 lbs, depending on whether he used
one or two hands.

So I don't think it's totally unreasonable...

Chris

Well, IMHO this is only one of the things wrong with this as well as
other issues. Still, by your figures the K body still wins, but the
point is it appears that this guy pulled the numbers out of a hat.
Anyway, overall I think the magazine is just not what it used to be.

Harvey