Posted to rec.woodworking

Default McFeely's

I placed an order online using their catalog which shows a Lynchburg, VA,
address. Everything went fine and the lag screw and washers arrived within a
day of when I expected them. I don't need them until tomorrow so a day late was
no big deal. I did not pay any attention to the package and it went into the
burn barrel this morning.

In today's mail, I received an invoice for the order with a $0.00 balance. I
don't recall this ever happening before.

Upon closer examination of the invoice, I find that they (McFeely's) have an
address in Janesville, Wisconsin. Upon further digging around onthe web site, I
find that they are a division of Lab Safety Supply, Inc., with a Madison WI,
address

A review ofthe UPS tracking on the order also verifies that they are now
shipping from Wisconsin.

It looks like they sold out or got sucked up.

I sure hope that we don't see any changes in products or policy.
__________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

Posted to rec.woodworking

I did a little more digging.

http://www.labsafety.com/aboutus/pressrel.htm#mcfeely
__________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , wrote:
I did a little more digging.

http://www.labsafety.com/aboutus/pressrel.htm#mcfeely

If this means I'll be able to buy McFeely screws by walking into the Grainger
store that's less than ten minutes from home *and* open Saturdays, it sounds
good to me.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 13, 6:07 pm, "WoodButcher" wrote:
I had a phone call from McFeely's this morning and the caller ID
showed as LAB SAFETY SUPP.

Good for Ray. Not good for us, or for "McFeely's" - you can bet on
that.
JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill Waller wrote:

I did a little more digging.

http://www.labsafety.com/aboutus/pressrel.htm#mcfeely
__________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

Really hope this doesn't foretell a decline in quality and/or service.
Can only wait and see.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote

Really hope this doesn't foretell a decline in quality and/or

service.
Can only wait and see.

Have been a Grainger customer for many years.

They didn't get where they are by screwing up a business they have
bought and folded into their business model.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Mark & Juanita" wrote

Really hope this doesn't foretell a decline in quality and/or

service.
Can only wait and see.

Have been a Grainger customer for many years.

They didn't get where they are by screwing up a business they have
bought and folded into their business model.

Lew

Glad to hear that. I haven't had many direct dealings with Grainger, but
I do know they have a good rep.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Mark & Juanita wrote:
Bill Waller wrote:

I did a little more digging.

http://www.labsafety.com/aboutus/pressrel.htm#mcfeely

Really hope this doesn't foretell a decline in quality and/or service.
Can only wait and see.

I would expect the opposite, actually. Grainger's a class act. Not to
imply that McFeely's wasn't, of course. But Grainger is a very professional
operation. IME their customer service and product quality are uniformly
excellent.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:
On Sep 13, 6:07 pm, "WoodButcher" wrote:
I had a phone call from McFeely's this morning and the caller ID
showed as LAB SAFETY SUPP.

Good for Ray. Not good for us, or for "McFeely's" - you can bet on
that.

Lab Safety Supply is the parent company of WW Grainger. I'm not sure
that a hardware company getting taken over by Grainger is a bad thing
at all, especially if they keep the brands separate, which they seem
to be planning to do.

Here's the press release:

http://www.labsafety.com/aboutus/pressrel.htm#mcfeely

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "J. Clarke" wrote:

Lab Safety Supply is the parent company of WW Grainger.

Actually, it's the other way around. From the press release you cite below:

"Grainger, a leading North American industrial distributor, today announced
its Lab Safety Supply (LSS) subsidiary has acquired substantially all of the
assets of McFeely’s Square Drive Screws of Lynchburg, Virginia. [...]"

I'm not sure
that a hardware company getting taken over by Grainger is a bad thing
at all, especially if they keep the brands separate, which they seem
to be planning to do.

Here's the press release:

http://www.labsafety.com/aboutus/pressrel.htm#mcfeely

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

If this means I'll be able to buy McFeely screws by walking into the Grainger
store that's less than ten minutes from home *and* open Saturdays, it sounds
good to me.

That's exactly what I was thinking - I haven't used McF's screws, but
I'd be much more likely to try them if I could pick up a small
quantity locally without paying shipping.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com, Andy wrote:
If this means I'll be able to buy McFeely screws by walking into the Grainger
store that's less than ten minutes from home *and* open Saturdays, it sounds
good to me.

That's exactly what I was thinking - I haven't used McF's screws, but
I'd be much more likely to try them if I could pick up a small
quantity locally without paying shipping.

Define "small quantity." :-)

You're not likely to find them at Grainger's in any quantity less than a box
of a hundred. To some, that *is* a small quantity; to others, it's not.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Define "small quantity." :-)

You're not likely to find them at Grainger's in any quantity less than a box
of a hundred. To some, that *is* a small quantity; to others, it's not.

Yes, a box of 100 would be great. Even one of their variety packs,
100 each of a few different sizes, would be fine. I realize that
trying to buy 10 screws or something would be just about
impossible... I was just hoping for home handyman quantities, not
commercial cabinetmaker quantities. Any educated guesses whether
Grainger will sell McF's screws through their retail stores? Or how
separate do they tend to keep the companies they acquire?
Thanks,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill Waller wrote:

I did a little more digging.

http://www.labsafety.com/aboutus/pressrel.htm#mcfeely

Really hope this doesn't foretell a decline in quality and/or service.
Can only wait and see.

I would expect the opposite, actually. Grainger's a class act. Not to
imply that McFeely's wasn't, of course. But Grainger is a very professional
operation. IME their customer service and product quality are uniformly
excellent.

I have heard good things about Grainger too. I should have kept my
negativity to myself, especially in light of the fact I didn't even
read the press release. Believe it or not, sometimes I'm just talking
out my ass.

Long live McFeely's!!

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 11:51:04 -0700, Andy wrote:

Define "small quantity." :-)

You're not likely to find them at Grainger's in any quantity less than a box
of a hundred. To some, that *is* a small quantity; to others, it's not.

Yes, a box of 100 would be great. Even one of their variety packs,
100 each of a few different sizes, would be fine. I realize that
trying to buy 10 screws or something would be just about
impossible... I was just hoping for home handyman quantities, not
commercial cabinetmaker quantities. Any educated guesses whether
Grainger will sell McF's screws through their retail stores? Or how
separate do they tend to keep the companies they acquire?
Thanks,
Andy

I went by the hardware store tonight when the orange box did not have
what I wanted. They had homeowner quanties of one to a box of 100. I
walked out with 3 boxes of different sizes. If I finsih any project
all the screws wil be gone and a need for a few more boxes. If you
live in a town with a good hadware store they may have what you need
or can make do with.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 13, 4:03 pm, Bill Waller wrote:

It looks like they sold out or got sucked up.

Mmmmmmm. We are all making a lot of assumptions here.
McFeely has developed an asset worth a lot of money.
Maybe it was time to move on.
I just hope that Granger can keep that "AwChucks' image alive, an
image I found so endearing and was willing to pay extra for.
That one-on-one relationship is so damned rare these days. Will
Granger say: "I'll get on it, Rob, btw, how is your sister?"
Not bloody likely.
The whole square drive profit centre will get a good thinning, and
they'll keep those few things which will make them money. Guys like
McFeely also had parts and pieces, not as a profit centre, but as a
complement to a profit centre. Granger's MBA's are not likely to give
a damn about that.
McFeely was a Festool dealer as well....that makes for an interesting
marriage.

My gut-feeling tells me that McFeely did all right, WE are not likely
to benefit. Granger will likely rape the brand.
Maybe we'll get square-drive screws made in China, which may or may
not fit our drivers.

/cynicism

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Jim Behning wrote:

I went by the hardware store tonight when the orange box did not have
what I wanted. They had homeowner quanties of one to a box of 100. I
walked out with 3 boxes of different sizes. If I finsih any project
all the screws wil be gone and a need for a few more boxes. If you
live in a town with a good hadware store they may have what you need
or can make do with.

Sure, but try finding *any* square-drive screws at your local hardware store,
let alone a box of a hundred. That's what McFeely's specializes in.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , Jim Behning
wrote:

I went by the hardware store tonight when the orange box did not have
what I wanted. They had homeowner quanties of one to a box of 100. I
walked out with 3 boxes of different sizes. If I finsih any project
all the screws wil be gone and a need for a few more boxes. If you
live in a town with a good hadware store they may have what you need
or can make do with.

Sure, but try finding *any* square-drive screws at your local hardware
store, let alone a box of a hundred. That's what McFeely's specializes in.

That, and screws that don't snap off at the slightest over-torque.
Actually, I've had orange box screws snap off after being lubricated and
driven into pre-drilled holes before they bottom out.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Jim Behning wrote:

I went by the hardware store tonight when the orange box did not have
what I wanted. They had homeowner quanties of one to a box of 100. I
walked out with 3 boxes of different sizes. If I finsih any project
all the screws wil be gone and a need for a few more boxes. If you
live in a town with a good hadware store they may have what you need
or can make do with.

Sure, but try finding *any* square-drive screws at your local hardware store,
let alone a box of a hundred. That's what McFeely's specializes in.

No problem, they're right there on the shelf...what you need?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 20:15:45 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , Jim Behning
wrote:

I went by the hardware store tonight when the orange box did not have
what I wanted. They had homeowner quanties of one to a box of 100. I
walked out with 3 boxes of different sizes. If I finsih any project
all the screws wil be gone and a need for a few more boxes. If you
live in a town with a good hadware store they may have what you need
or can make do with.

Sure, but try finding *any* square-drive screws at your local hardware
store, let alone a box of a hundred. That's what McFeely's specializes in.

That, and screws that don't snap off at the slightest over-torque.
Actually, I've had orange box screws snap off after being lubricated and
driven into pre-drilled holes before they bottom out.

I have suffered that with lag bolts that floated across an ocean to my
job site.

I guess if you think square drive is the cat's meow then your local
hardware store may not be the place for you. That said the local
hardware store will likely never be the place to go compared to an
industrial fastners supply house. I have driven a block from the
hardware store to the fastners store to get bolts. I do not know the
country of origin of McFeely's fastners but the fastener store sources
from all those wonderful over seas factories. So far they have had
what I wanted in a quality sufficient for my tasks. But I have not
gone off on a specialty screw hunt. McFeely's certainly looks like an
easier shopping place than other places.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , dpb wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Jim Behning

wrote:

I went by the hardware store tonight when the orange box did not have
what I wanted. They had homeowner quanties of one to a box of 100. I
walked out with 3 boxes of different sizes. If I finsih any project
all the screws wil be gone and a need for a few more boxes. If you
live in a town with a good hadware store they may have what you need
or can make do with.

Sure, but try finding *any* square-drive screws at your local hardware store,
let alone a box of a hundred. That's what McFeely's specializes in.

No problem, they're right there on the shelf...what you need?

Let me guess... you're in Canada.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jim Behning" wrote:

I have suffered that with lag bolts that floated across an ocean to my
job site.

I guess if you think square drive is the cat's meow then your local
hardware store may not be the place for you. That said the local
hardware store will likely never be the place to go compared to an
industrial fastners supply house. I have driven a block from the
hardware store to the fastners store to get bolts. I do not know the
country of origin of McFeely's fastners but the fastener store sources
from all those wonderful over seas factories. So far they have had
what I wanted in a quality sufficient for my tasks. But I have not
gone off on a specialty screw hunt. McFeely's certainly looks like an
easier shopping place than other places.

SFWIW, if you are looking for S/S fasteners, they all come in from offshore.

Lately, it has been India.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , dpb wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Jim Behning

wrote:
I went by the hardware store tonight when the orange box did not have
what I wanted. They had homeowner quanties of one to a box of 100. I
walked out with 3 boxes of different sizes. If I finsih any project
all the screws wil be gone and a need for a few more boxes. If you
live in a town with a good hadware store they may have what you need
or can make do with.
Sure, but try finding *any* square-drive screws at your local hardware store,
let alone a box of a hundred. That's what McFeely's specializes in.

No problem, they're right there on the shelf...what you need?

Let me guess... you're in Canada.

Not that I'm aware of...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Jim Behning" wrote:

[...]

I don't think it is so much the point of origin but the quality control
and quality specs that drive the price the importing company is willing to
pay. Those places that advertise low prices are willing to accept much
more marginal performance; sometimes to the point that the product becomes
worthless or nearly worthless for its intended application.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , dpb wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , dpb wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Jim Behning
wrote:
I went by the hardware store tonight when the orange box did not have
what I wanted. They had homeowner quanties of one to a box of 100. I
walked out with 3 boxes of different sizes. If I finsih any project
all the screws wil be gone and a need for a few more boxes. If you
live in a town with a good hadware store they may have what you need
or can make do with.
Sure, but try finding *any* square-drive screws at your local hardware

store,
let alone a box of a hundred. That's what McFeely's specializes in.
No problem, they're right there on the shelf...what you need?

Let me guess... you're in Canada.

Not that I'm aware of...

Where is it, then, that you have an easy time finding square-drive screws at
the local hardware store?

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 16, 5:40 pm, Jim Behning
wrote:
On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 21:16:24 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , dpb wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , dpb wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Jim Behning
wrote:
I went by the hardware store tonight when the orange box did not have
what I wanted. They had homeowner quanties of one to a box of 100. I
walked out with 3 boxes of different sizes. If I finsih any project
all the screws wil be gone and a need for a few more boxes. If you
live in a town with a good hadware store they may have what you need
or can make do with.
Sure, but try finding *any* square-drive screws at your local hardware
store,
let alone a box of a hundred. That's what McFeely's specializes in.
No problem, they're right there on the shelf...what you need?

Let me guess... you're in Canada.

Not that I'm aware of...

Where is it, then, that you have an easy time finding square-drive screws at
the local hardware store?

I don't have any love/fascination with robertson screws. I use them if
I can get them but I do not seek them out. So ignore any comments I
have about McFeely's if one feels that McFeely's is a synonym for
robertson screws. I can use hex drive screws for some things, regular
old phillips head screws for others, the universal phillips/square
drive for other tasks. If I come across robertson screws at the store
and it lets me do a project then great.

Let's not forget that Jim Ray carried much more than Robertson drive
screws. His line of fasteners in small lot sizes was just plain hard
to beat. Is hard to beat. But he also carried a host of other items,
most of which he tested himself before entering them in the catalog.
The company always seemed to me to carry a large part of Jim's
personality in its offerings, eventually ending up being quite
eclectic within some specific limits. Grainger's is also an excellent
company, but I know zip about the overall parent company. Some of the
staff has moved to Janesville, so it's going to be an interesting
ride. McFeely's has been a major resource for woodworkers for a whole
lot of years. It has also served as a resource for construction
people. I don't really expect any of that to change a lot, though over
time the presentation will.

Getting in a snit about one company being raped by another is more
than slightly silly at this point. There is no evidence of bad
intentions anywhere that I have seen.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Not that I'm aware of...

Where is it, then, that you have an easy time finding square-drive screws
at
the local hardware store?

--
Regards,

I don't know about dbp but the local Ace hardware...in southern
Wisconsin...has them...a pretty good asortment of sizes and
materials...including some stainless ones.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

You seem to be making a lot of assumptions based on a gut-feeling...now I'm
not going to say that your predictions are NOT going to come true, just the
LSS and Grainger have been doing business for a long time and don't tend
towards the "buy and gut" method that many other companies do. LSS started
out in a dudes garage, was easy going and easy to deal with then and nothing
about that has chaged in the past 20 years or so that I've dealt with them.

And no...I have no connection to them other than having the same ZIP code.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , dpb wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , dpb wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Jim Behning
wrote:
I went by the hardware store tonight when the orange box did not have
what I wanted. They had homeowner quanties of one to a box of 100. I
walked out with 3 boxes of different sizes. If I finsih any project
all the screws wil be gone and a need for a few more boxes. If you
live in a town with a good hadware store they may have what you need
or can make do with.
Sure, but try finding *any* square-drive screws at your local hardware

store,
let alone a box of a hundred. That's what McFeely's specializes in.
No problem, they're right there on the shelf...what you need?

Let me guess... you're in Canada.

Not that I'm aware of...

Where is it, then, that you have an easy time finding square-drive screws at
the local hardware store?

Corner of 15th and Main...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey folks,

I'm Ron Pegram. I've been with McFeely's since 1997. During that time,
I worked closely with Jim Ray, beginning as the Customer Service
Manager and being promoted to the position of General Manager over
time. When LSS acquired McFeely's, I expressed a desire to continue on
with the company. Quite frankly, I have a lot of emotional investment
in the brand, having spent so much of my life trying to grow it. To my
delight, the folks at LSS were just as interested in continuing to do
the things that have made McFeely's successful as I am and I am now
the Brand Manager for McFeely's in our new offices in Madison, WI.

Within the LSS family of brands, there's a real attempt to keep brands
separate so that each unit can do the things its customers demand. So,
yes we have been acquired by a much larger company but no, we're not
being forced to walk away from value-added services like consumer-
friendly packaged quantities of screws. If anything, the additional
resources we have should let us pursue services that make us more
convenient for our customers. Trust me, LSS values what makes these
brands work.

I've posted this here because I want you all to have a name and a
person with whom to identify when you're discussing McFeely's. If
something we do isn't to your liking, please let me know. I can be
reached at any one of the following contacts:

1-800-443-7937 (ask for extension 3317)
1-608-662-3317 (toll number)

Generally, I work between 8AM - 6PM CST. My job in the years to come
is to guarantee that McFeely's doesn't change unless it's for the
better. I expect you to hold my feet to the fire on that.

Respectfully yours,

Ron Pegram, MBA (yes, I'm one of those dreaded MBA's but I am also one
of the good guys)

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com, wrote:
[...]

Ron - thanks very much for the response, and *especially* for providing your
contact info. You'll probably hear from a lot of people here.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Thank you for the above clarification.

Jim Ray has been considered to be one of the "good guys" for many of us.

Can you give us some idea why he sold the business?

How is he doing these days?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Everyone seems to be singing the praises of Grainger, and I'm a bit
curious as to people's dealings with them.

Lots of places have "Trade Only" or "Commercial Accounts Only" on the
door. Most, however, are willing to sell to anyone, as long as the
customer has a reasonable idea of what he wants. I've found the local
Grainger - Portland, Maine - a bit on the rigid side on that policy.

Do you find most of the Grainger stores sell to walk-ins? No
mandatory minimum charges? How about by mail?

John Martin

Posted to rec.woodworking

.. . . I have not gone off on a specialty screw hunt. McFeely's certainly
looks like an easier shopping place than other places.

"Mark & Juanita" wrote
Lew Hodgett wrote:

SNIP

SFWIW, if you are looking for S/S fasteners, they all come in from
offshore.

Lately, it has been India.

I don't think it is so much the point of origin but the quality control
and quality specs that drive the price the importing company is willing to
pay.

SNIP

I'm a big user of screws . . . vs. nails. Predominately this means SS,
followed by Bronze {Marine}, then McFeeley's 'Yellow Zinc' - with a
'100-hour Salt Spray test' - followed by the more 'common' coated steel. I
have tried to convert completely to 'square drive' for good, solid,
mechanical reasons. They are even used for 'land-based' & 'home' projects.

That being said, it took me some time to arrive at this stage. I absolutely
HATE paying shipping charges . . . especially when they go up by steep
increments. Plus this stuff is HEAVY. I've had very good service from
McFeeley's - hopefully this will continue. I plan ahead on my orders and get
'efficient quantities'. I WILL check with Grainger . . . there used to be a
local 'office' in a nearby industrial park.

Regards & Thanks,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

John Martin wrote:
Everyone seems to be singing the praises of Grainger, and I'm a bit
curious as to people's dealings with them.

Lots of places have "Trade Only" or "Commercial Accounts Only" on the
door. Most, however, are willing to sell to anyone, as long as the
customer has a reasonable idea of what he wants. I've found the local
Grainger - Portland, Maine - a bit on the rigid side on that policy.

Do you find most of the Grainger stores sell to walk-ins? No
mandatory minimum charges? How about by mail?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/sta...sofpurcat.html

No business ID, no sale. None of the branches I have seen (and I think
that holds for web/mail order sales as well) are set up to collect sales
tax -- ergo, no business id to show exemption, no sale.

I strongly suspect that will not be anything they would do to McFeely's
as it would essentially remove the need for having purchased it to begin
with...

It is, in fact, the retail sales aspect of it that I would presume
attracted their interest.

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Martin wrote:
Everyone seems to be singing the praises of Grainger, and I'm a bit
curious as to people's dealings with them.

Lots of places have "Trade Only" or "Commercial Accounts Only" on
the
door. Most, however, are willing to sell to anyone, as long as the
customer has a reasonable idea of what he wants. I've found the
local
Grainger - Portland, Maine - a bit on the rigid side on that policy.

Do you find most of the Grainger stores sell to walk-ins? No
mandatory minimum charges? How about by mail?

They're set up to sell to people who are either maintaining facilities
or manufacturing products--in the former case they assume that you're
looking for a replacement for an existing part, while in the latter
they're assuming that you're looking for something that was specified
by an engineer. As long as you act like you're in one of those
categories, i.e. have a part number and quantity or a sample of what
you need or a busted part you need to replace, there shouldn't be any
problem.