Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self Charlie Self is offline

Default McFeely's

On Sep 16, 5:40 pm, Jim Behning
wrote:
On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 21:16:24 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , dpb wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , dpb wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Jim Behning
wrote:
I went by the hardware store tonight when the orange box did not have
what I wanted. They had homeowner quanties of one to a box of 100. I
walked out with 3 boxes of different sizes. If I finsih any project
all the screws wil be gone and a need for a few more boxes. If you
live in a town with a good hadware store they may have what you need
or can make do with.
Sure, but try finding *any* square-drive screws at your local hardware
store,
let alone a box of a hundred. That's what McFeely's specializes in.
No problem, they're right there on the shelf...what you need?

Let me guess... you're in Canada.

Not that I'm aware of...

Where is it, then, that you have an easy time finding square-drive screws at
the local hardware store?

I don't have any love/fascination with robertson screws. I use them if
I can get them but I do not seek them out. So ignore any comments I
have about McFeely's if one feels that McFeely's is a synonym for
robertson screws. I can use hex drive screws for some things, regular
old phillips head screws for others, the universal phillips/square
drive for other tasks. If I come across robertson screws at the store
and it lets me do a project then great.

Let's not forget that Jim Ray carried much more than Robertson drive
screws. His line of fasteners in small lot sizes was just plain hard
to beat. Is hard to beat. But he also carried a host of other items,
most of which he tested himself before entering them in the catalog.
The company always seemed to me to carry a large part of Jim's
personality in its offerings, eventually ending up being quite
eclectic within some specific limits. Grainger's is also an excellent
company, but I know zip about the overall parent company. Some of the
staff has moved to Janesville, so it's going to be an interesting
ride. McFeely's has been a major resource for woodworkers for a whole
lot of years. It has also served as a resource for construction
people. I don't really expect any of that to change a lot, though over
time the presentation will.

Getting in a snit about one company being raped by another is more
than slightly silly at this point. There is no evidence of bad
intentions anywhere that I have seen.