Old August 20th 03, 08:38 PM
Gfretwell

Default Why does Gorilla glue suck?

OK I tried this stuff again. I was using hard maple, I wet it down good. I
glued both sides and seated a 1x2 into a 1/4" rabit that was a "tap in" tight
fit. This was clamped overnight. The next day a light tap with a hammer broke
the joint with absolutely no damage to the wood. I think library paste would
have done a better job. Where did I go wrong? I can send pictures of the bad
joint.

Old August 20th 03, 08:49 PM
Ramsey

It sounds as thoough one side of the maple may have had a coat of wax,
silicone spray or some other kind of contaminat. That sounds unkike
any experience I have ever had with Gorilla glue. Guess it could be a
bad batch. Also, I have heard that there is a shelf life of one-two
years on a bottle so maybe yours is old stock? Is there a chance you
squeezed all the glue out when you clamped? That's bout all the ideas
I can come up with. Unless the bottom of the rabbet was not square
with the 1/4. It won't bridge a large gap very well. If you used a
wobble dado blade, it leaves the bottom of the joint rather rounded.

Old August 20th 03, 09:32 PM
Bob Gramza

See if there is a date on the bottle, I've seen glue in stores that should have been off the shelf.
"Gfretwell" wrote in message
: Here is a picture. The wood was freshly cut so I doubt it was waxy etc. I just
: bought the glue a couple days ago from HD and it was sealed.
:
: http://members.aol.com/gfretwell/joint.gif

Old August 20th 03, 09:41 PM
Gfretwell

See if there is a date on the bottle, I've seen glue in stores that should
have been off the shelf.

The only numbers are 76395030515. I don't see a date in there. They say the
shelf life is 3 years.
Old August 20th 03, 09:48 PM
Leslie Gossett

It doesn't look like there is any glue between the two pieces of wood. It
looks like there was nothing on the end grain of the short piece. Did it
all squeeze out?. I just did a project with polyurethane glue, its the
strongest wood glue I have ever used!

Leslie

Old August 20th 03, 09:52 PM
Patrick Fitzgerald

[posted and mailed]

reg (Gfretwell) wrote in
:

Here is a picture. The wood was freshly cut so I doubt it was waxy
etc. I just bought the glue a couple days ago from HD and it was
sealed.

http://members.aol.com/gfretwell/joint.gif

That picture looks like you are gluing end grain to long grain?
--
Patrick Fitzgerald -
BarelyFitz Designs -

Old August 20th 03, 09:58 PM
Gfretwell

End grain joint. Any glue would fail.

OK guys we have a test in progress. I took some garden variety $5 a gallon
white glue and made exactly the same joint in a clean section of the groove
with the other end of the stick.
Old August 20th 03, 09:59 PM
Doug Miller

In article , "Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A." wrote:
Gfretwell wrote:

Here is a picture. The wood was freshly cut so I doubt it was waxy etc. I

just
bought the glue a couple days ago from HD and it was sealed.

http://members.aol.com/gfretwell/joint.gif

End grain joint. Any glue would fail.

I'm not sure I agree. There's enough long grain there to give it some
strength. Sure doesn't look like there was very much glue in the joint,
though. And it definitely could have used some additional reinforcement such
as a tenon or a biscuit.

--
Regards,
Old August 20th 03, 10:00 PM
D K Woods

On 20 Aug 2003 20:41:29 GMT, Gfretwell wrote:

See if there is a date on the bottle, I've seen glue in stores that should
have been off the shelf.

The only numbers are 76395030515. I don't see a date in there. They say the
shelf life is 3 years.

Those last six numbers might mean May 15, 2003, but who knows....

david
--
"We have money to blow up bridges over the Tigress and Euphrates and we
don't have money to build bridges in our major cities. We have money to

Undoing hide glue Robert UK diy 1 May 26th 04 11:56 AM
Glue for Sony walkman headset? John Smith UK diy 13 March 23rd 04 07:48 PM
Glue FAQ? Gfretwell Woodworking 3 August 19th 03 06:04 PM
Gorilla Glue Brad Woodworking 16 July 17th 03 01:48 AM
Glueless laminate floor and glue.. Abso UK diy 11 July 14th 03 10:49 PM