Robert

Default Why does Gorilla glue suck?

I've been using Poly glues for a while. Just started using Gorilla glue. I
use a spray bottle of water to wet one side of the joint, apply the glue,
and clamp it for a few hours. When I take the clamps off, it holds very
tight. After letting it set overnight for a full cure, I finish my
projects. Having used this product only last week, I'd say your results are
very uncommon. Yes, end grain to long grain makes for a weak joint, but
this glue should have held tight enough for the poly joint to "tear". This
stuff sticks to just about anything. For it to not stick at all makes me
think you've got an outdated product or there's some other factor (lots of
sawdust in the joint maybe). Don't know, I wasn't there. I can tell you
only that Poly glues typically work very well, which is why many of us use
them.

Robert

"John McGaw" wrote in message
.. .
"Gfretwell" wrote in message
OK I tried this stuff again. I was using hard maple, I wet it down good.

glued both sides and seated a 1x2 into a 1/4" rabit that was a "tap in"

tight
fit. This was clamped overnight. The next day a light tap with a hammer

broke
the joint with absolutely no damage to the wood. I think library paste

would
have done a better job. Where did I go wrong? I can send pictures of the

bad
joint.

Your problem is probably defined in your statements "I wet it down good"

and
"'tap in' tight". Additional moisture is absolutely not needed in "normal"
conditions and only the slightest bit of moisture is needed if you live in
someplace with no humidity. I've found that wood with 7-8% moisture

content
will activate the glue just fine. The joint should not be so tight as to
drive the glue out while fitting it together. There is some narrow range

of
fit which will work -- too tight and you don't have enough glue to do the
job, too loose and the glue has to fill the gap and loses strength (this

is
true for all glues, not just the "gorilla" variety). Try it again and

DON'T
wet it at all, make the joint 'push together' tight, and see what happens
then report back. I've used this stuff in very difficult glueups in hard
maple and other hardwoods and can state without hesitation that it sticks
fantastically well when used as intended.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Return address will not work. Please