John Smith

Default Glue for Sony walkman headset?

Hi,

I have a pair of headphones for a Sony CD player. They are the type of a
thin metal headband on either end of which there is a small grey plastic
earphone which fits, uncomfortably, into the ear. The bit that goes into the
ear is set at about 90 degrees and is made of hard shiny grey plastic.

Anyhow, I broke one of these the other week and it has broken in a clean cut
that allows me to fit th two broken bits back together nicely. However, when
using ordinary super-glue to do this the super-glue just seems never to
set... I have put glue on both bits, held them together... and held... and
held... and held... and got bored... Obviously, I am using the wrong type of
glue but have no idea what glue to buy and where?

Thanks for any advice,

John/

MrCheerful

"John Smith" wrote in message
news
[...]

get some mitre fast from screwfix, this has a setting agent you spray on one
piece and special superglue you put on the other, after touching the two
bits together the superglue sets in ten seconds, makes ordinary superglue
look pathetic, I have used it on loads of things, doesn't go off in the
bottle too quickly either, so is quite practical to buy.

mrcheerful

p00kie

"John Smith" wrote in message
[...]

Hate to ask .... but why on earth do you want to repair a set of headphones
that you say 'fit uncomfortably' .... wouldn't it be better to go buy a
decent comfortable set of headshells?

p00kie

geoff

In message , John Smith
writes
Hi,

I have a pair of headphones for a Sony CD player. They are the type of a
thin metal headband on either end of which there is a small grey plastic
earphone which fits, uncomfortably, into the ear. The bit that goes into the
ear is set at about 90 degrees and is made of hard shiny grey plastic.

Anyhow, I broke one of these the other week and it has broken in a clean cut
that allows me to fit th two broken bits back together nicely. However, when
using ordinary super-glue to do this the super-glue just seems never to
set... I have put glue on both bits, held them together... and held... and
held... and held... and got bored... Obviously, I am using the wrong type of
glue but have no idea what glue to buy and where?

Really you need polystyrene cement, but for the price, you might be
better off buying a new headset
--
geoff
geoff

In message ,
MrCheerful writes

"John Smith" wrote in message
[...]

Polystyrene cement actually melts the plastic and makes a better joint.
Did you never build any airfix models when you were younger?

Having had the same problem as the OP, polystyrene cement is better than
superglue in this case

--
geoff
Bob Eager

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 22:11:18 UTC, geoff wrote:

Polystyrene cement actually melts the plastic and makes a better joint.
Did you never build any airfix models when you were younger?

The wimpy stuff I seem to be able to buy these days doesn't seem to do
that...

--
Bob Eager
begin by not using Outlook Express...
Alex Bird

"John Smith" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I have a pair of headphones for a Sony CD player. They are the type of a

snip
Thanks for any advice,

Run a clean smooth part of a soldering iron bit around the joint, fairly quickly.
Dave Stanton

Polystyrene cement actually melts the plastic and makes a better joint.
Did you never build any airfix models when you were younger?

Having had the same problem as the OP, polystyrene cement is better than
superglue in this case

Only if the plastic is polystyrene !!

Dave

John Smith

"geoff" wrote in message

Did you never build any airfix models when you were younger?

--
geoff

Yes I did - that's why I wanted the anti-bonding agent as well! My lancaster
bombers and spitfires took off for Berlin with more glue on the wings than
they had bombs! :-)

geoff

In message , Dave Stanton
writes

Polystyrene cement actually melts the plastic and makes a better joint.
Did you never build any airfix models when you were younger?

Having had the same problem as the OP, polystyrene cement is better than
superglue in this case

Only if the plastic is polystyrene !!

Well it is,

which is why I made the suggestion, having had the same problem a couple
of years ago
--
geoff
p00kie

"John Smith" wrote in message
Good point - can fault the reasoning. Doesn't take into account the fact
that I am a tight sod though ;-)

snip

Heh ... though the time and effort going into fixing a headset plus missing
quality use time... would be cheaper buying another pair!

--
p00kie