Old August 20th 03, 10:10 PM
Leon

Default Why does Gorilla glue suck?

Sounds like operator error...;~) But I cannot imagine that happening 2
times in a row. Probably bad or old product. I use the stuff and it works
great. Things to keep in mind.

DO NOT over tighten your clamps. Always add water to the mating side. Be
certain that your surfaces are as flat as you can possibly make them.

Again, your glue must be bad for it to fail so miserably.

"Gfretwell" wrote in message
OK I tried this stuff again. I was using hard maple, I wet it down good. I
glued both sides and seated a 1x2 into a 1/4" rabit that was a "tap in"

tight
fit. This was clamped overnight. The next day a light tap with a hammer

broke
the joint with absolutely no damage to the wood. I think library paste

would
have done a better job. Where did I go wrong? I can send pictures of the

bad
joint.

Old August 20th 03, 10:21 PM
Tim V

Too much 'wet'??

--
Tim
--------

Old August 20th 03, 10:50 PM
Leon

OK, operator error like another poster indicated. end grain to long grain
is not going to be a strong joint with out a mortise and tennon, biscuit,
dowel or screws to back up the glue.

"

Old August 20th 03, 10:52 PM
Leon

"Ken Yee" wrote in message

OK I tried this stuff again. I was using hard maple, I wet it down
good. I

Why did you wet it?
I never wet wood. Used gorilla glue in some wood repair. There's
no way those pieces of wood are coming apart :-)

Read the directions on the bottle. Gorilla Glue and or polyurethane glue
cures in the presence of moisture. Adding water speeds cure time.

Old August 21st 03, 12:01 AM
John McGaw

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

"Ken Yee" wrote in message

OK I tried this stuff again. I was using hard maple, I wet it down
good. I

Why did you wet it?
I never wet wood. Used gorilla glue in some wood repair. There's
no way those pieces of wood are coming apart :-)

Read the directions on the bottle. Gorilla Glue and or polyurethane glue
cures in the presence of moisture. Adding water speeds cure time.

But adding too much water, especially with a tight-grain wood like maple,
causes the glue to foam into nothingness and never get into the pores. If
the wood has 7-8% moisture content I've never had to add moisture and it has
always held fine for me even in some very difficult situations.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Return address will not work. Please
reply in group or through my website:
http://johnmcgaw.com

Old August 21st 03, 12:29 AM
Ramsey

I glued up a joint likethta to see just how weak it would be since
nothing else is strong. I was amazed at how strong the bond was. My
end grain was much smoother than your appears though.

On 20 Aug 2003 20:15:58 GMT, reg (Gfretwell) wrote:

Here is a picture. The wood was freshly cut so I doubt it was waxy etc. I just
bought the glue a couple days ago from HD and it was sealed.

http://members.aol.com/gfretwell/joint.gif

Old August 21st 03, 12:34 AM
Mike G

Don't like poly glue much but do have uses for it once and awhile. Never had
a problem with it's strength myself. But then I just dampen one side of the
joint and only apply glue to the other side. I believe that is what the
directions on the container calls for and it works pretty well for me.

--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods

Old August 21st 03, 12:48 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Gfretwell wrote:

Here is a picture. The wood was freshly cut so I doubt it was waxy etc. I just
bought the glue a couple days ago from HD and it was sealed.

http://members.aol.com/gfretwell/joint.gif

End grain joint. Any glue would fail.
Old August 21st 03, 01:17 AM
Robert

I've been using Poly glues for a while. Just started using Gorilla glue. I
use a spray bottle of water to wet one side of the joint, apply the glue,
and clamp it for a few hours. When I take the clamps off, it holds very
tight. After letting it set overnight for a full cure, I finish my
projects. Having used this product only last week, I'd say your results are
very uncommon. Yes, end grain to long grain makes for a weak joint, but
this glue should have held tight enough for the poly joint to "tear". This
stuff sticks to just about anything. For it to not stick at all makes me
think you've got an outdated product or there's some other factor (lots of
sawdust in the joint maybe). Don't know, I wasn't there. I can tell you
only that Poly glues typically work very well, which is why many of us use
them.

Robert

"John McGaw" wrote in message
.. .
"Gfretwell" wrote in message
OK I tried this stuff again. I was using hard maple, I wet it down good.

glued both sides and seated a 1x2 into a 1/4" rabit that was a "tap in"

tight
fit. This was clamped overnight. The next day a light tap with a hammer

broke
the joint with absolutely no damage to the wood. I think library paste

would
have done a better job. Where did I go wrong? I can send pictures of the

bad
joint.

Your problem is probably defined in your statements "I wet it down good"

and
"'tap in' tight". Additional moisture is absolutely not needed in "normal"
conditions and only the slightest bit of moisture is needed if you live in
someplace with no humidity. I've found that wood with 7-8% moisture

content
will activate the glue just fine. The joint should not be so tight as to
drive the glue out while fitting it together. There is some narrow range

of
fit which will work -- too tight and you don't have enough glue to do the
job, too loose and the glue has to fill the gap and loses strength (this

is
true for all glues, not just the "gorilla" variety). Try it again and

DON'T
wet it at all, make the joint 'push together' tight, and see what happens
then report back. I've used this stuff in very difficult glueups in hard
maple and other hardwoods and can state without hesitation that it sticks
fantastically well when used as intended.

Undoing hide glue Robert UK diy 1 May 26th 04 11:56 AM
Glue for Sony walkman headset? John Smith UK diy 13 March 23rd 04 07:48 PM
Glue FAQ? Gfretwell Woodworking 3 August 19th 03 06:04 PM
Gorilla Glue Brad Woodworking 16 July 17th 03 01:48 AM
Glueless laminate floor and glue.. Abso UK diy 11 July 14th 03 10:49 PM