Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I Have An Excuse! Which Cordless Hammerdrill / Drill / Driver?

In 6 weeks to 2 months I'm going to help my brother put up drywall in the
house he's building. My HF and 13.2 v "FireStorm" cordless drill/drivers
aren't up to the task of putting drywall screws into 2x4's so (Yipee!!) I'm
looking for something I can use for (hopefully) many years.

Sunday afternoon I spent an hour or so fondling drivers at the local HD.
The 18 v DeWalt HD/D/D feels pretty good in my hand, but I'm wondering about
the NiCad / Other battery technology issues. I'd also like to stay
"mainstream" so it will be easier to get replacement batteries in the years
to come. (The 13.2 FireStorm batteries are available factory-only, and
really expensive.)

I've also seen the "Drywall screws on a belt" at Lowe's and wonder what sort
of driver / attachment is needed to use these.

Thoughts? Thanks!

-- Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

Keep in mind that (typically) more power = more weight. In particular, if
you're going to be working over your head (i.e. hanging ceiling drywall),
lighter would definately be better.

I've got the DeWalt 18v drill (not hammer drill), and am quite happy with
it. I'd buy it again.

Clint

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
In 6 weeks to 2 months I'm going to help my brother put up drywall in the
house he's building. My HF and 13.2 v "FireStorm" cordless drill/drivers
aren't up to the task of putting drywall screws into 2x4's so (Yipee!!)
I'm looking for something I can use for (hopefully) many years.

Sunday afternoon I spent an hour or so fondling drivers at the local HD.
The 18 v DeWalt HD/D/D feels pretty good in my hand, but I'm wondering
about the NiCad / Other battery technology issues. I'd also like to stay
"mainstream" so it will be easier to get replacement batteries in the
years to come. (The 13.2 FireStorm batteries are available factory-only,
and really expensive.)

I've also seen the "Drywall screws on a belt" at Lowe's and wonder what
sort of driver / attachment is needed to use these.

Thoughts? Thanks!

-- Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
In 6 weeks to 2 months I'm going to help my brother put up drywall in the
house he's building. My HF and 13.2 v "FireStorm" cordless drill/drivers
aren't up to the task of putting drywall screws into 2x4's so (Yipee!!)
I'm looking for something I can use for (hopefully) many years.

Sunday afternoon I spent an hour or so fondling drivers at the local HD.
The 18 v DeWalt HD/D/D feels pretty good in my hand, but I'm wondering
about the NiCad / Other battery technology issues. I'd also like to stay
"mainstream" so it will be easier to get replacement batteries in the
years to come. (The 13.2 FireStorm batteries are available factory-only,
and really expensive.)

I've also seen the "Drywall screws on a belt" at Lowe's and wonder what
sort of driver / attachment is needed to use these.

Thoughts? Thanks!

If you are going to be driving srywall screw screws into drywall I suggest a
corded drywall drill. Typically a corded dry wall model will run at 4000
rpm and some times faster and insert the screws faster. Typically the
battery operated model drills do not run any where near that speed. Faster
battery powered ones tend to be 1200 to 2000 rpm.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

Mark Jerde wrote:
In 6 weeks to 2 months I'm going to help my brother put up drywall in the
house he's building. My HF and 13.2 v "FireStorm" cordless drill/drivers
aren't up to the task of putting drywall screws into 2x4's so (Yipee!!) I'm
looking for something I can use for (hopefully) many years.

I'd also recommend getting a corded screw driver. I bought one of those
cordless Senco drivers. It's ok for drywall, but the corded one (Dewalt
if it matters) drives the screws in faster, has more torque, and I
don't have to worry about the battery getting weak.
It's a little more trouble to drag an extension cord around, but worth
it, IMO.

Or you could just buy/use a regular corded drill. If I had it to do
over again, I'm not sure I'd buy a dedicated screw gun again.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark Jerde wrote:
In 6 weeks to 2 months I'm going to help my brother put up drywall

in the
house he's building. My HF and 13.2 v "FireStorm" cordless

drill/drivers
aren't up to the task of putting drywall screws into 2x4's so

(Yipee!!) I'm
looking for something I can use for (hopefully) many years.

Can't help you with the drywall, but have the 18VDC DeWalt drill for
8-9 years now.

Replaced the batteries, but otherwise, it doesn't owe me anything.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

My wife got me a backup 14.4 Volt Makita Drill Set for Christmas. It came
packaged with the smaller 14.4Volt impact driver. It weighs a lot less than
the drill motor and does a great job. I just set more than 2,000 2" deck
screws during a privacy fence project and the biggest problem was getting my
finger off of the trigger before I drove the screw through the cedar fence
boards. Best part is it is lightweight.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
In 6 weeks to 2 months I'm going to help my brother put up drywall in the
house he's building. My HF and 13.2 v "FireStorm" cordless drill/drivers
aren't up to the task of putting drywall screws into 2x4's so (Yipee!!)
I'm looking for something I can use for (hopefully) many years.

Sunday afternoon I spent an hour or so fondling drivers at the local HD.
The 18 v DeWalt HD/D/D feels pretty good in my hand, but I'm wondering
about the NiCad / Other battery technology issues. I'd also like to stay
"mainstream" so it will be easier to get replacement batteries in the
years to come. (The 13.2 FireStorm batteries are available factory-only,
and really expensive.)

I've also seen the "Drywall screws on a belt" at Lowe's and wonder what
sort of driver / attachment is needed to use these.

Thoughts? Thanks!

-- Mark

I have a Hilti SD4500
http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/module...jsp?OID=-16781

It has an attachment that takes the screw strips. It makes for attaching
drywall very fast.
Others like Milwaukee make a version as well.

However, unless you plan on hanging a bunch-O-rock - just nail or use a
regular battery drill. The only problem with using a regular drill to drive
drywall screws is they usually set them too deep, tearing the paper and thus
reducing the holding power.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

The 4000 rpm screwguns are intended for metal studs; the 2500 rpm
screwguns are better for the wood framing. Buying a used or refurb 2500
rpm screwgun is the right choice. BTW, obtain hearing protection...in
use, the trigger is locked ON since the clutch determines when a
fastener is driven. That's a noisy whine to listen to for hours on end,
even if the noise is not from the one you're using.

The tool list goes like this -
Screwgun, extension cord
Speed square, carpenter's pencils
Drywall square, utility knife
Rasp or drywall plane to trim to fit
Lipstick for marking outlets
Regular claw hammer and pouch for screws
First-aid kit
Big honking circulating fan to blow air/dust out a window

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:13:05 GMT, "Mark Jerde"
wrote:

[...]

I'm with the guys above who recommend a corded model. .

I believe the ones on the belt are Hilti - there might be others
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Teamcasa" wrote in message
The only problem with using a regular drill to drive
drywall screws is they usually set them too deep, tearing the paper and
thus reducing the holding power.

There is a 4 or 5 dollar bit you can buy for a regular corded drill that
works like the dry wall screw guns bits and it prevents over driving.
Normally found where carious drill screw bits are sold.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Teamcasa" wrote in message
The only problem with using a regular drill to drive
drywall screws is they usually set them too deep, tearing the paper and
thus reducing the holding power.

There is a 4 or 5 dollar bit you can buy for a regular corded drill that
works like the dry wall screw guns bits and it prevents over driving.
Normally found where carious drill screw bits are sold.

LV has them:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42240
$5 CDN, likely cheaper in the US.

They also have a lifter for the bottom of the sheet, which has saved my
life a few times:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43456,43389

Tanus

--
This is not really a sig.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hard to credit that the 13.2 Firestorm is too gutless to put in drywall
screws.
We used my 9.6V and my 12V Panasonic concurrently and they both did the
job
without complaints. Well, maybe that explains the huge difference in price
grin.

Yeergh! Sorry to bust yer bubble but I slunk around the innernet and
finally found a place to call eht, er, hte, er, the FireStorm 13.2 v folks.
After spending about $100 of my dollerares they sent me a charger and a new
battery, but I only set about 1.75 screws into the top of an (I'm Sorry!)
IKEA dresser that SHMBO bought before all the 13.2 little electrons were
spent, lying in the gutter gasping their last. Couldanta have been more
than $5.00 per screw... (Insert favorite _______ joke here!)

I'd ruther take up smoking Kuban ceegars, lighting them with
hunndert-dollars bills, than send the FireSTORM annother hunndret of minea
dollardes, da jo whatta meen?

-- Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

If I had it to do
over again, I'm not sure I'd buy a dedicated screw gun again.

SSsssshhhuuusssssssshhhh!!! This is my chance to ditch the nearly-dead 13.2
FireStorm for something "real", like a DW!

-- Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

Can't help you with the drywall, but have the 18VDC DeWalt drill for 8-9
years now.

Replaced the batteries, but otherwise, it doesn't owe me anything.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

-- Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote in message
My wife got me a backup 14.4 Volt Makita Drill Set for Christmas. It came
packaged with the smaller 14.4Volt impact driver. It weighs a lot less
than the drill motor and does a great job. I just set more than 2,000 2"
deck screws during a privacy fence project and the biggest problem was
getting my finger off of the trigger before I drove the screw through the
cedar fence boards. Best part is it is lightweight.

Thanks. I haven't crossed Makita because of their color.... g

-- Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

get a regular 'ol corded drywall screwdriver. get it used- they show up
at pawnshops and swap meets in droves. drywall is an unpleasant trade
with a high turnover....

Sorry, I didn't kommunicate well...

Gentlemen (and ladies),

I have 3 cordless drills/drivers that don't accept charge very well anymore.
Sometimes I smash a lighting bug and attach the ends of a jumper cable to
each end of the smashed bug to attempt to jump start my drill /drivers. It
doesn't work very well but I do feel a glow..... g

In 6 to 8 weeks I'm gonna help my bruder and his family put up a buncha
drywall in the house their building. I kould show up with nobbat my undies
and tool belt and Alla wouldbe kool. But that aint the point. I wanna
throw away my 13.2 v FireStorm drill that, even though it's on its third set
of batteries, refuses to take much of a charge. I wanna show up with a
hammerdrill /drill /driver that goes

Rrrrhheeeeee! Rrrrhheeeeee! Rrrrhheeeeee! Rrrrhheeeeee!

and tightly screw in my portion of the drywall screws.

Then, when I leave my bruders after a couple days, having helped enclose
3,000+ sq ft with drywall, I want to take away the driver I brought with
me. I'm hopeful that, with the feedback from y'all, it will be a very
useful tool for me for the next 10+ / 15+ / ... years. My two HF and one
13.2 FireStorm D/D's have worked very well. With y'all's help I can make a
good selection for my next "main" cordless D/D.

Thanks.

-- Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark Jerde wrote:

Sorry, I didn't kommunicate well...

Gentlemen (and ladies),

I have 3 cordless drills/drivers that don't accept charge very well

anymore.

snip

Cut to the chase.

Any decent cordless drill you select will represent a 1,000%
improvement over the cheap crap you have.

Put some names in a hat and pick one.

The names I would put in my hat would include, Milwaukee, Panasonic,
and DeWalt.

You might want to add Makita.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark Jerde" wrote in

If I had it to do
over again, I'm not sure I'd buy a dedicated screw gun again.

SSsssshhhuuusssssssshhhh!!! This is my chance to ditch the
nearly-dead 13.2 FireStorm for something "real", like a DW!

-- Mark

Look at HD for a lifetime Ridgid warranty... That's one I'd consider
buying first...

I've been sold on a Makita ever since I picked one up. It was love at
first lift. It felt much lighter when in usage position, obviously
transfering the weight to my body effectively.

Oh, and you need two drill/drivers. One small 9.6 volt one and an 18
volt one. ;-) The 9.6v will do most the little stuff just fine and the
18v will handle bigger tasks like 2" and 3" screws. (You can also chuck a
drill bit in one and a driving bit in the other.)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark Jerde" wrote in

In 6 to 8 weeks I'm gonna help my bruder and his family put up a
buncha drywall in the house their building. I kould show up with
nobbat my undies and tool belt and Alla wouldbe kool. But that aint
the point. I wanna throw away my 13.2 v FireStorm drill that, even
though it's on its third set of batteries, refuses to take much of a
charge. I wanna show up with a hammerdrill /drill /driver that goes

*snip*

Does the motor still run well? I've got a use for a 13.2V motor... Seems
it would fit quite well in a Garden Scale Model Train. ;-)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
If I had it to do
over again, I'm not sure I'd buy a dedicated screw gun again.

SSsssshhhuuusssssssshhhh!!! This is my chance to ditch the nearly-dead
13.2 FireStorm for something "real", like a DW!

I ve put in a LOT of Drywall screws with my DeWalt 12V cordless and its
light enough to hold over your head. The two battery set-up will give you
enough juice to work all day. I built a house with the DW and ran over
10,000 screws with it ( and an old Craftsman 9.6V) Theyre under $ 100 these
days.

I just bought a Ryobi P220 18V 3 spd hammerdrill at HD for 49.97/ chgr
19.97/ 2 batts 39.97..whole works for $ 110 and it wails !..but try and hold
THAT baby over yer head for a while..

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark Jerde wrote:
If I had it to do
over again, I'm not sure I'd buy a dedicated screw gun again.

SSsssshhhuuusssssssshhhh!!! This is my chance to ditch the nearly-dead 13.2
FireStorm for something "real", like a DW!

-- Mark

Your at least using the 13.2v version After bringing home a 6 amp
corded Dewalt I took a look at my B&D cordless and it says 6v. No
wonder it does not do much. Big difference!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 06:29:11 GMT, "Rudy"
wrote:

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
If I had it to do
over again, I'm not sure I'd buy a dedicated screw gun again.

SSsssshhhuuusssssssshhhh!!! This is my chance to ditch the nearly-dead
13.2 FireStorm for something "real", like a DW!

I ve put in a LOT of Drywall screws with my DeWalt 12V cordless and its
light enough to hold over your head. The two battery set-up will give you
enough juice to work all day. I built a house with the DW and ran over
10,000 screws with it ( and an old Craftsman 9.6V) Theyre under $ 100 these
days.

Yes, but have you ever tried a screw gun?
I used to think these cordless drills were one of the wonders of the
universe, and maybe they are, but not for all things.
We had a pro drywall installer come in and show us (Habitat) a few
tricks. Also had one of those nifty screw drivers. The difference
was notable and I even talked him into loaning it to us (he was coming
back to help out more than once).
The screw gun is lighter and more suited to driving screws than a
cordless drill. A cordless drill will work, and if you can only get
one tool, than the drill is more versatile. But, if you can swing
both, (and I've seen the screwguns for under $100), go for the screw
gun for your drywall.

Renata

I just bought a Ryobi P220 18V 3 spd hammerdrill at HD for 49.97/ chgr
19.97/ 2 batts 39.97..whole works for $ 110 and it wails !..but try and hold
THAT baby over yer head for a while..

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 01:46:25 GMT, "Mark Jerde"
wrote:

get a regular 'ol corded drywall screwdriver. get it used- they show up
at pawnshops and swap meets in droves. drywall is an unpleasant trade
with a high turnover....

Sorry, I didn't kommunicate well...

Gentlemen (and ladies),

I have 3 cordless drills/drivers that don't accept charge very well anymore.
Sometimes I smash a lighting bug and attach the ends of a jumper cable to
each end of the smashed bug to attempt to jump start my drill /drivers. It
doesn't work very well but I do feel a glow..... g

Perhaps you should refrain from smashing the poor creature before you
attach the cables - you might get more juice outta a live one...

Renata