Scott

Default Makita cordless drill vs. Makita cordless drill

I am in the market for my first cordless drill, to be used around the
house for decking and fencing. For about five years my brother has used
a Makita 6336D (14.4 v.), which is advertised as perhaps being sturdier
with a high performance motor that can last up to five times as long.
(He has had no problems with it.) In shopping on-line I have found
that most retail sites do not offer the 6336D, but do offer what I am
guessing is a newer model, a model 6337 MForce. The description of the
6337 MForce seems to be filled with lots of "new" features or
improvements. The MForce does sell for $30 to $50 less.

Is the MForce filling the "middle ground" between the "more industrial"
6336D and the bottom end drills, or are the MForce drills replacing the
6336D model? Does anyone have experience with the two different model
Makitas? How do they actually compare?

I have narrowed my search for a drill down to the Panasonic and Makita.

Thanks

Jim

Scott:

The 6336DWDE is the heavy duty model and has a metal gear housing. Makita
calls it the MakPro series. The chuck is "hammer rated", meaning it can be
used on hammer drills without loosening unexpectedly.
The 6337DWDE is part of the MForce series, which are still great tools, but
designed more for serious non-commercial users than for contractors, etc.
Big differences are in the chuck and gear housing. A nice feature of the
6337 is the new "Shift-Lock" which allows you to change between the drill
mode and clutch mode without changing the torque selection by rotating the
torque selector. A simple flip of a selector switch takes care of it.

HTH

Jim Ray, President
McFeely's Square Drive Screws
www.mcfeelys.com

"Scott" wrote in message
[...]

Leon

"Scott" wrote in message

I have narrowed my search for a drill down to the Panasonic and Makita.

Consider this, http://www.makitatools.com/Cordless_...iew.asp?id=741

Both are good brands and the Panasonic will be hard to beat.

But IIRC through the end of the year Makita is offering a free MForce drill
if you buy the specific impact driver.

Marty

If you would consider other brands I would go with the DeWalt DC987KA. I
just got this off ebay for $205+s&h. Home Depot carries it I believe.
It's easily the best drill I've ever owned. It has a sold steel chuck as
opposed to most which are plastic. The chuck can be tightened and loosened
with one hand. Three speed trans 500-2000rpm, and high capacity batteries.
Also, the torque is one of the highest I believe.

My other drills include PC 19.2, 12v and an older makita (it doesn't count
since its just a right-angle drive).

Scott wrote:

[...]

Jay Pique

Scott wrote:

I am in the market for my first cordless drill...

snip

FYI - FWW rated the Milwaukee 14.4 as the best in a recent showdown.

JP

Steve Knight

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:07:35 GMT, Marty wrote:

If you would consider other brands I would go with the DeWalt DC987KA. I
just got this off ebay for $205+s&h. Home Depot carries it I believe.
It's easily the best drill I've ever owned. It has a sold steel chuck as
opposed to most which are plastic. The chuck can be tightened and loosened
with one hand. Three speed trans 500-2000rpm, and high capacity batteries.
Also, the torque is one of the highest I believe.

dewalt has the highest over inflated torque ratings. my metabo 12v has more
torque dewalt 18v has.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Leon

wrote:

dewalt has the highest over inflated torque ratings. my metabo 12v has
more
torque dewalt 18v has.

Did you get your Makita impact driver yet. I got mine in 12 volt and it
drives a #10 screw 3" long through a piece of 3" thick maple.

Steve Knight

Did you get your Makita impact driver yet. I got mine in 12 volt and it
drives a #10 screw 3" long through a piece of 3" thick maple.

yep it works great. very little strain driving in threaded inserts. plus it does
not twist your wrist.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes