J T

Default SCA ARMOUR

http://www.brotherguido.com/armor/default.htm

I don't see any reason you couldn't make your own out of maybe 1/8"
plywood, they give the sizes, and looks like the lacing instructions are
complete enough. Plastic? Bah.

JOAT
A highbrow is a person educated beyond his intelligence.
- Brander Matthews

J. Clarke

J T wrote:

http://www.brotherguido.com/armor/default.htm

I don't see any reason you couldn't make your own out of maybe 1/8"
plywood, they give the sizes, and looks like the lacing instructions are
complete enough. Plastic? Bah.

But how well would plywood work? Seems to me that it would be pretty
brittle for that particular use.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Avraham

Well, speaking as a guy who has been fighting for 22 years, plywood
wouldn't hold up at all. A 3/4" plywood shield is pretty much
disposable - it'll last *maybe* a season of fighting. We're really
hitting each other - 12 gauge helmets dent eventually, 14 and 16 gauge
dents pretty much immediately. 1/8" plywood wouldn't even last one
practice. Also, the plastic is made (or at least it can be) to look
like 'period' materials - that would mean laquered steel or leather
that has been waxed or boiled for stiffness. Plywood would look
terrible.
Avraham
huscarl, Calontir (that means I'm a "don't screw with him, it'll hurt"
sort of fighter from the middle of the country)

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:49:44 -0400, (J T)
wrote:

http://www.brotherguido.com/armor/default.htm

I don't see any reason you couldn't make your own out of maybe 1/8"
plywood, they give the sizes, and looks like the lacing instructions are
complete enough. Plastic? Bah.

JOAT
A highbrow is a person educated beyond his intelligence.
- Brander Matthews

Lew Hodgett

Avraham wrote:
Well, speaking as a guy who has been fighting for 22 years, plywood
wouldn't hold up at all. A 3/4" plywood shield is pretty much
disposable - it'll last *maybe* a season of fighting.

If you want something that is probably less than 1/2 the weight of a
piece of 3/4" ply and can't be penetrated by a copper jacketed .357 mag,
contact me off list.

I'll tell you how to make one.

Lew
Avraham

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 04:56:51 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

Avraham wrote:
Well, speaking as a guy who has been fighting for 22 years, plywood
wouldn't hold up at all. A 3/4" plywood shield is pretty much
disposable - it'll last *maybe* a season of fighting.

If you want something that is probably less than 1/2 the weight of a
piece of 3/4" ply and can't be penetrated by a copper jacketed .357 mag,
contact me off list.

I'll tell you how to make one.

Lew

Thanks, but that's OK. Most of our shields are made of T6 aluminum,
and some of us (like me!) are moving to shields made of the same
materials as originally used, which brings us back to the actual
subject of the newsgroup. I bought a Grizzly 14" bandsaw and riser
block so I could resaw basswood (pretty much the same as European
Linwood, if not exact) and make a two-layer laminated shield.
Avraham
J. Clarke

J T wrote:

Wed, Apr 27, 2005, 10:06pm (EDT-1) (Avraham) says:
Well, speaking as a guy who has been fighting for 22 years, plywood
wouldn't hold up at all. snip

My Gods, I'm getting sucked back in the group, I post, then see a
thread, and post a response. Aaach.

Speaking as a guy who ain't about to go around letting people beat
on me without trying to give them some serious damage in return, I never
figured anyone would wear them to get beat on in. Personally, before I
would run around letting people beat on me, I'd make myself some real
armour, including a "real" helmet, out of good quality steel, stuff able
to take repeated hits from a real sword, and hold up.

While steel plate armor has its advantages, it's also heavy and unless it's
very carefully crafted it impedes your motion. If you're not both in very
good condition and practiced at performing acrobatics in armor, once they
get you down you're done for.

A good, fitted suit of plate armor today costs thousands of dollars. Making
it yourself might be an interesting exercise, but if you get to where you
can make some that you can actually fight in you may find that you can make
more as an armorer than you do in your day job. Bear in mind that if it's
not fitted right it can damage you all by itself when it takes a blow.

And I think you'll find that lamellar armor works very nicely. The Samurai
certainly seemed to think so. The plastic plates would be a viable
substitute for boiled leather lamellae IMO, and boiled leather was
surprisingly effective against "real swords".

By the way, don't assume that the bokken is not a "real sword". How many
swordmasters with steel swords did Musashi kill with one?

Even better,
would be standing back with a trusty catapult, and buckets of hot sand.
Hehehe

JOAT
A highbrow is a person educated beyond his intelligence.
- Brander Matthews

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Ralph E Lindberg

In article ,
Avraham wrote:

Well, speaking as a guy who has been fighting for 22 years,

I'll raise you a couple years, but agree with the below, plus 3/4 just
plain weighs toooooo much.

plywood
wouldn't hold up at all. A 3/4" plywood shield is pretty much
disposable - it'll last *maybe* a season of fighting. We're really
hitting each other - 12 gauge helmets dent eventually, 14 and 16 gauge
dents pretty much immediately. 1/8" plywood wouldn't even last one
practice. Also, the plastic is made (or at least it can be) to look
like 'period' materials - that would mean laquered steel or leather
that has been waxed or boiled for stiffness. Plywood would look
terrible.
Avraham
huscarl, Calontir (that means I'm a "don't screw with him, it'll hurt"
sort of fighter from the middle of the country)

I also know people that have bought/made this type of armor, the
plastic plates cut the cord and it keeps falling apart. Repairable, but
a pain in the, ah repair time.

As for shields I have had excellent results from the following method.
I take a sheet of 1/8 in door skin and attach (nail) it to a shield
press. Then fiberglass the face. Once it is dry, remove and cut to
shape. Then fiberglass the back and twice more on the face. Lastly round
the edges and fiberglass that.

The shield is lighter and lasts for years (5+ years very active)

PS, I spent time with two of your ex-pats, Earl Cire and Countess
Elizabeth

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Avraham

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 05:33:25 -0700, Ralph E Lindberg
wrote:

In article ,
Avraham wrote:

[...]

Are you still up in An Tir? I'm surprised even fiberglassed plywood
stands up the blow strength there. My period-materials laminated
shield does fine here, but I don't know how it would do out there.
Avraham
huscarl, Calontir

J T

You guys want light weight, sword proof armour? Here's some that
pretty well guarantees the wearer isn't gonna get hurt by a sword. This
is more along my type of thing.
http://www.chainmail.com/chainmall/imagenew/ts7.jpg

JOAT
A highbrow is a person educated beyond his intelligence.
- Brander Matthews

Prometheus

wrote:

http://www.brotherguido.com/armor/default.htm

I don't see any reason you couldn't make your own out of maybe 1/8"
plywood, they give the sizes, and looks like the lacing instructions are
complete enough. Plastic? Bah.

Never was a member of the SCA, but I've met plenty of folks who were
(or claimed to be, who really knows?) and the impression I got was
that they were not allowed to use plastic armor in any case, as it was
not availble during the periods of time they were re-enacting. Most
of the abovementioned folks made armor from leather soaked in parafin
wax or (if they were *really* into it) hand-hammered iron plates. But
you're right in any case- plywood would be kinda neat.

BTW, I thought you had left the group?

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Prometheus

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 18:14:03 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

J T wrote:

http://www.brotherguido.com/armor/default.htm

I don't see any reason you couldn't make your own out of maybe 1/8"
plywood, they give the sizes, and looks like the lacing instructions are
complete enough. Plastic? Bah.

But how well would plywood work? Seems to me that it would be pretty
brittle for that particular use.

IIRC, the SCA doesn't use actual swords for re-enactment, they use
rattan sticks. Plywood might work okay for that. And, of course, it
would work great for walking around Rennaisance fairs and the like.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Ralph E Lindberg

In article ,
Avraham wrote:

Are you still up in An Tir? I'm surprised even fiberglassed plywood
stands up the blow strength there. My period-materials laminated
shield does fine here, but I don't know how it would do out there.
Avraham
huscarl, Calontir

Yup, actually there as been some effort to reduce the level of blows.
When Cire came back from a Gulf War, having gotten in trouble for what
they thought was an excessive blow we all had a little laugh. Cire is
not known for real hard hits, just solid firm ones.
BTW, do you know about the Yahoo-Group for period/sca/medieval
wood-working?

TTFN
Ralph (aka Ralg, insert alphabet soup here)

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
J. Clarke

wrote:

J T wrote:

http://www.brotherguido.com/armor/default.htm

I don't see any reason you couldn't make your own out of maybe 1/8"
plywood, they give the sizes, and looks like the lacing instructions are
complete enough. Plastic? Bah.

But how well would plywood work? Seems to me that it would be pretty
brittle for that particular use.

IIRC, the SCA doesn't use actual swords for re-enactment, they use
rattan sticks. Plywood might work okay for that. And, of course, it
would work great for walking around Rennaisance fairs and the like.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

And you were on about how making a door header too strong would cause high
point stresses?

Take a hammer, wang on a piece of 1/8" ply supported by string tied to holes
in the corners for a while, let us know how you make out. Talk about high
point stresses.

If you study the history of Japan you will find that those rattan sticks
properly handled are quite dangerous.

It's becoming clear that you just like to argue.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
J. Clarke

wrote:

http://www.brotherguido.com/armor/default.htm

I don't see any reason you couldn't make your own out of maybe 1/8"
plywood, they give the sizes, and looks like the lacing instructions are
complete enough. Plastic? Bah.

Never was a member of the SCA, but I've met plenty of folks who were
(or claimed to be, who really knows?) and the impression I got was
that they were not allowed to use plastic armor in any case, as it was
not availble during the periods of time they were re-enacting. Most
of the abovementioned folks made armor from leather soaked in parafin
wax or (if they were *really* into it) hand-hammered iron plates. But
you're right in any case- plywood would be kinda neat.

There are plenty of SCA sites on the Web that discuss this. Plastic is a
bit controversial but not in general prohibited. Safety first--if it's the
only way you can afford to engage in combat without getting hurt then so be
it. There are some other kinds of combat sport that require authenticity,
but SCA isn't all about combat, that's just one of their activities, and
they are not the "Society for Maintaining Historically Accurate
Anachronism", they are the "Society for _Creative_ Anachronism".

You might be confusing SCA with reenactment groups, which are much pickier
about such things.

BTW, I thought you had left the group?

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Avraham

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 05:25:39 -0700, Ralph E Lindberg
wrote:

In article ,
Avraham wrote:

Are you still up in An Tir? I'm surprised even fiberglassed plywood
stands up the blow strength there. My period-materials laminated
shield does fine here, but I don't know how it would do out there.
Avraham
huscarl, Calontir

Yup, actually there as been some effort to reduce the level of blows.
When Cire came back from a Gulf War, having gotten in trouble for what
they thought was an excessive blow we all had a little laugh. Cire is
not known for real hard hits, just solid firm ones.
BTW, do you know about the Yahoo-Group for period/sca/medieval
wood-working?

TTFN
Ralph (aka Ralg, insert alphabet soup here)

No, I didn't know about it. I'm really, really on enough Yahoo
groups, though, and I don't do much period work, just period things
with modern tools.
Avraham
Robert Bonomi

wrote:

[...]

And, after all, what is *more* _anacronistic_ than using plastic for
medieval armour? Except, maybe, "A Darth Vader in King Arthur's Court",
with apologies to Mark Twain. grin

Andrew Barss

Avraham wrote:
: Thanks, but that's OK. Most of our shields are made of T6 aluminum,
: and some of us (like me!) are moving to shields made of the same
: materials as originally used, which brings us back to the actual
: subject of the newsgroup. I bought a Grizzly 14" bandsaw and riser
: block so I could resaw basswood (pretty much the same as European
: Linwood, if not exact) and make a two-layer laminated shield.
: Avraham

Doesn't basswood dent like crazy? It's a pretty soft wood.

-- Andy Barss
Avraham

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 19:25:59 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss
wrote:

Avraham wrote:
: Thanks, but that's OK. Most of our shields are made of T6 aluminum,
: and some of us (like me!) are moving to shields made of the same
: materials as originally used, which brings us back to the actual
: subject of the newsgroup. I bought a Grizzly 14" bandsaw and riser
: block so I could resaw basswood (pretty much the same as European
: Linwood, if not exact) and make a two-layer laminated shield.
: Avraham

Doesn't basswood dent like crazy? It's a pretty soft wood.

-- Andy Barss

Shields aren't really meant to be permanent, or at least they weren't
1100 years ago (the time the equipment I'm reproducing is from ). It
actually holds up surprisingly well - the only problem my first one is
having is the steel rim is coming off. I need to use a different
style.
Avraham

Ralph Lindberg

In article ,
Avraham wrote:

No, I didn't know about it. I'm really, really on enough Yahoo
groups, though, and I don't do much period work, just period things
with modern tools.
Avraham

There are a bunch-o-us that use power and/or hand, according to the
best methods we know. Actually I would say the majority aren't
Neander's. It's like costumers, how many of them hand sew everything?

Personal email 's a SPAM trap)

Avraham

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 17:28:14 -0700, Ralph Lindberg
wrote:

In article ,
Avraham wrote:

No, I didn't know about it. I'm really, really on enough Yahoo
groups, though, and I don't do much period work, just period things
with modern tools.
Avraham

There are a bunch-o-us that use power and/or hand, according to the
best methods we know. Actually I would say the majority aren't
Neander's. It's like costumers, how many of them hand sew everything?

I've applied, it should be interesting.
Avraham
Prometheus

wrote:

J T wrote:

http://www.brotherguido.com/armor/default.htm

I don't see any reason you couldn't make your own out of maybe 1/8"
plywood, they give the sizes, and looks like the lacing instructions are
complete enough. Plastic? Bah.

But how well would plywood work? Seems to me that it would be pretty
brittle for that particular use.

IIRC, the SCA doesn't use actual swords for re-enactment, they use
rattan sticks. Plywood might work okay for that. And, of course, it
would work great for walking around Rennaisance fairs and the like.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

And you were on about how making a door header too strong would cause high
point stresses?

That wasn't me, fella. I missed a part about the application because
I was skimming, but I was the guy that said the OP should make sure he
had the right material, as he didn't seem sure what he was doing. All
I saw was the bit about making a "beam" and I somehow got it into my
head that he might be trying to make a hoist. FWIW, a building
collapsing becuase of poor engineering is liable to kill a guy- a
piece of plywood splintering on your chest (or other body part)
because you intentionally let someone hit you with a stick is likely
to just hurt a lot and get somebody teased a bit. Different levels of
caution certainly apply in my mind.

Take a hammer, wang on a piece of 1/8" ply supported by string tied to holes
in the corners for a while, let us know how you make out. Talk about high
point stresses.

If you study the history of Japan you will find that those rattan sticks
properly handled are quite dangerous.

Well sure, if a trained person is using one. Somehow I doubt that
plastic would do a whole lot better in that case then anyhow.

It's becoming clear that you just like to argue.

Well, that *is* largely true. I do enjoy argument- but at least I try
to keep things in context and on-topic, which is more than you can say
for a lot of folks in a lot of venues.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Prometheus

wrote:

[...]

That's certainly possible. Like I said, I was never into that- I just
knew a lot of folks who went on and on about it. I believe the event
they liked to refer to most often was called "Pensic" (Sp?)

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Avraham

wrote:

[...]

Pennsic. 12,000 or so of your closest friends camping for a week or
three in the Pennsylvania summer. It's definitely an experience.
Avraham
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 12:08:31 -0500, the inscrutable Avraham
spake:

--snip--
Pennsic. 12,000 or so of your closest friends camping for a week or
three in the Pennsylvania summer. It's definitely an experience.

So was the California Jam in 1974, with 200,000 of my closest
friends. http://valseven.tripod.com/ladiesofthelake2/id28.html
Emerson, Lake, and Palmer with QUAD sound and I was within 20' of
dead center while watching Keith Emerson spin on his piano! What a
trip THAT was!

--== May The Angst Be With You! ==--
-Yoda, on a bad day
--
http://diversify.com Ending Your Web Page Angst.

Shed electrics Jim Ingram UK diy 10 April 16th 05 01:52 PM
Yet more Shed Electrics! Tim \(Remove NOSPAM. UK diy 39 January 11th 05 10:40 PM
Armour - Sheet Metal Suggestions zampano Metalworking 2 January 6th 05 11:15 PM
Use of Armour Wires for earth CPC Rick Hughes UK diy 10 July 7th 04 10:09 PM
new electricity supply [email protected] UK diy 10 December 9th 03 04:37 PM