zampano

Default Armour - Sheet Metal Suggestions

Hi all,

I'm a planning to construct a miniature suit of plate armour,
and wanted to get suggestions on the best gauge of sheet metal
for this project.

Since it's a miniature, I won't need the standard 16-gauge
used for armour-making -- rather, something
about as thick as cardboard, or a little thicker than the sheet
used in tin cans.

Thanks in advance!

- z
Dave Hinz

On 6 Jan 2005 09:47:41 -0800, zampano wrote:
Hi all,

Since it's a miniature, I won't need the standard 16-gauge
used for armour-making -- rather, something
about as thick as cardboard, or a little thicker than the sheet
used in tin cans.

Yeah, that sounds about right. (?!?!?!)

There's probably a model-making group or something that would have
better info, but I'd say 22-ga would be a reasonable place to start.
I have no idea what thickness of cardboard you are thining of, though.
DanG

Most steel sheet readily available is galvanized. You might find
aluminum sheet easier to cut, bend, shape, polish, and care for
(no rust). You might look at .040 or heavier.

It would also be available in the roofing section at the box
stores as rolled flashing, though probably lighter thickness.

Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

om...