Suz

Default homemade pinboard II, galvanised metal sheet

Hi all
A few weeks ago I asked advice here on making a pinboard for the little
darling's artwork. I got some very good ideas, everything from wood to wine
corks. I liked someones suggestion of metal and magnets. They suggested
the side of a fridge but I've had no luck with that. I was hoping to get a
new shiny metal sheet, but don't know where to start.
I remember my dad making cow feeder from galvanised sheets that were tough
but could still be bent/hammered into shape. I fancy the galvanised look as
it has the sort of frosty pattern.
Any ideas where to start looking? I need about 3 foot by 5 foot.
Cheers
suzanne

Lobster

"Suz" wrote in message . ..

A few weeks ago I asked advice here on making a pinboard for the little
darling's artwork. I got some very good ideas, everything from wood to wine
corks. I liked someones suggestion of metal and magnets. They suggested
the side of a fridge but I've had no luck with that. I was hoping to get a
new shiny metal sheet, but don't know where to start.
I remember my dad making cow feeder from galvanised sheets that were tough
but could still be bent/hammered into shape. I fancy the galvanised look as
it has the sort of frosty pattern.
Any ideas where to start looking? I need about 3 foot by 5 foot.

Larger B&Qs sell sheets of it; I think they do them as big as that but
not sure. Alternatively, try 'sheet metal workers' or similar in
Yellow Pages. Would be cheaper than B&Q, for sure.
David
Colin Blackburn

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 00:19:19 -0000, Suz
wrote:

Hi all
A few weeks ago I asked advice here on making a pinboard for the little
darling's artwork. I got some very good ideas, everything from wood to
wine
corks. I liked someones suggestion of metal and magnets. They suggested
the side of a fridge but I've had no luck with that. I was hoping to
get a
new shiny metal sheet, but don't know where to start.
I remember my dad making cow feeder from galvanised sheets that were
tough
but could still be bent/hammered into shape. I fancy the galvanised
look as
it has the sort of frosty pattern.
Any ideas where to start looking? I need about 3 foot by 5 foot.

There's a company called metalsupermakets (it's a US franchise I think)
they have several branches around the country:
http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/ has a locater page. They claim to do any
amount.

If you want a magnetic board in stainless or crude steel then Manufactum
have some at a price:

http://www.manufactum.co.uk/

then stick magnetic board into the SEARCH box.

Colin
Owain

"Suz" wrote
| A few weeks ago I asked advice here on making a pinboard for the
| little darling's artwork. I liked someones suggestion of metal
| and magnets.

Supermarkets and similar shops, loads of metal shelves can get skip'd during
refitting. But not usually galvanised.

Nice big galvanised Dusty Bin for keeping toys in to complete the colour
scheme.

Owain

N. Thornton

"Suz" wrote in message . ..
Hi all
A few weeks ago I asked advice here on making a pinboard for the little
darling's artwork. I got some very good ideas, everything from wood to wine
corks. I liked someones suggestion of metal and magnets. They suggested
the side of a fridge but I've had no luck with that. I was hoping to get a
new shiny metal sheet, but don't know where to start.
I remember my dad making cow feeder from galvanised sheets that were tough
but could still be bent/hammered into shape. I fancy the galvanised look as
it has the sort of frosty pattern.
Any ideas where to start looking? I need about 3 foot by 5 foot.
Cheers
suzanne

Yellow pages, metal, ferrous, sheet, metal fabricators, etc.

Or go round the local metal scrappie, see if theres anything that
looks nice and offer £3. Its surprising what turns up at these places.

Regards, NT

James Hart

Suz wrote:
Hi all
A few weeks ago I asked advice here on making a pinboard for the
little darling's artwork. I got some very good ideas, everything
from wood to wine corks. I liked someones suggestion of metal and
magnets. They suggested the side of a fridge but I've had no luck
with that. I was hoping to get a new shiny metal sheet, but don't
know where to start.
I remember my dad making cow feeder from galvanised sheets that were
tough but could still be bent/hammered into shape. I fancy the
galvanised look as it has the sort of frosty pattern.
Any ideas where to start looking? I need about 3 foot by 5 foot.
Cheers
suzanne

If you want some small shiny round magnets, try a florists. Apparantly they
use them instead of pins sometimes on bridal outfits etc.

--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk/

Suz

"Owain" wrote in message
"Suz" wrote
| A few weeks ago I asked advice here on making a pinboard for the
| little darling's artwork. I liked someones suggestion of metal
| and magnets.

Supermarkets and similar shops, loads of metal shelves can get skip'd

during
refitting. But not usually galvanised.

Nice big galvanised Dusty Bin for keeping toys in to complete the colour
scheme.

Owain

Like that idea Owain. Very good.

Suz

There's a company called metalsupermakets (it's a US franchise I think)
they have several branches around the country:
http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/ has a locater page. They claim to do any
amount.

If you want a magnetic board in stainless or crude steel then Manufactum
have some at a price:

http://www.manufactum.co.uk/

then stick magnetic board into the SEARCH box.

Colin

These are good suggestions. The metal supermarket sounds like the job but
unfortunately there are none in Northern Ireland. (There are none in Poland
either, but I don't live there.)

Found the magnetic boards on Manufactum which look lovely but the thought of
more than £30 makes me choke.

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 19:20:29 -0000, "James Hart"
wrote:

If you want some small shiny round magnets, try a florists.

Lee Valley - they're obsessed with the things !

But Axminster sell a small range too, and they're on our side of the
Atlantic. http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=127198

Most of mine came from Ikea, inside some sort of "rubber starfish"
fridge magnets.

Harry Bloomfield

On 01/12/2003 "Suz" opined:-
I remember my dad making cow feeder from galvanised sheets that were tough
but could still be bent/hammered into shape. I fancy the galvanised look as
it has the sort of frosty pattern.
Any ideas where to start looking? I need about 3 foot by 5 foot.

Almost any sheet steel supplier should have that in stock, usually you
will need to buy a complete 8 x 4 sheet.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT)...

Remove the 'NOSPAM' in my email address to reply.

Free Amateur Radio Courses:-
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Suz

:
: Almost any sheet steel supplier should have that in stock, usually you
: will need to buy a complete 8 x 4 sheet.
: Regards,
: Harry (M1BYT)...

Found a local metal worker in a little industrial unit and he gave me a 2x3 foot bit for free!!
So I do believe in Santa once again.

James Hart

Suz wrote:
I remember my dad making cow feeder from galvanised sheets that
were tough but could still be bent/hammered into shape. I fancy
the galvanised look as it has the sort of frosty pattern.
Any ideas where to start looking? I need about 3 foot by 5 foot.

Almost any sheet steel supplier should have that in stock, usually
you will need to buy a complete 8 x 4 sheet.
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT)...

Found a local metal worker in a little industrial unit and he gave me
a 2x3 foot bit for free!! So I do believe in Santa once again.

I saw Santa driving the number 5 bus today, times must be hard if he's
needing to get a bit of overtime in as he was moonlighting at the
supermarket as well.

--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk/

PoP

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 00:25:49 -0000, "James Hart"
wrote:

I saw Santa driving the number 5 bus today, times must be hard if he's
needing to get a bit of overtime in as he was moonlighting at the
supermarket as well.

Funny, I could have sworn he was behind the wheel of the refuse cart
as it went down our road this afternoon.

PoP