Prometheus

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 08:36:43 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Prometheus wrote:

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 18:14:03 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

J T wrote:

http://www.brotherguido.com/armor/default.htm

I don't see any reason you couldn't make your own out of maybe 1/8"
plywood, they give the sizes, and looks like the lacing instructions are
complete enough. Plastic? Bah.

But how well would plywood work? Seems to me that it would be pretty
brittle for that particular use.

IIRC, the SCA doesn't use actual swords for re-enactment, they use
rattan sticks. Plywood might work okay for that. And, of course, it
would work great for walking around Rennaisance fairs and the like.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

And you were on about how making a door header too strong would cause high
point stresses?

That wasn't me, fella. I missed a part about the application because
I was skimming, but I was the guy that said the OP should make sure he
had the right material, as he didn't seem sure what he was doing. All
I saw was the bit about making a "beam" and I somehow got it into my
head that he might be trying to make a hoist. FWIW, a building
collapsing becuase of poor engineering is liable to kill a guy- a
piece of plywood splintering on your chest (or other body part)
because you intentionally let someone hit you with a stick is likely
to just hurt a lot and get somebody teased a bit. Different levels of
caution certainly apply in my mind.

Take a hammer, wang on a piece of 1/8" ply supported by string tied to holes
in the corners for a while, let us know how you make out. Talk about high
point stresses.

If you study the history of Japan you will find that those rattan sticks
properly handled are quite dangerous.

Well sure, if a trained person is using one. Somehow I doubt that
plastic would do a whole lot better in that case then anyhow.

It's becoming clear that you just like to argue.

Well, that *is* largely true. I do enjoy argument- but at least I try
to keep things in context and on-topic, which is more than you can say
for a lot of folks in a lot of venues.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam