Avraham

Well, speaking as a guy who has been fighting for 22 years, plywood
wouldn't hold up at all. A 3/4" plywood shield is pretty much
disposable - it'll last *maybe* a season of fighting. We're really
hitting each other - 12 gauge helmets dent eventually, 14 and 16 gauge
dents pretty much immediately. 1/8" plywood wouldn't even last one
practice. Also, the plastic is made (or at least it can be) to look
like 'period' materials - that would mean laquered steel or leather
that has been waxed or boiled for stiffness. Plywood would look
terrible.
Avraham
huscarl, Calontir (that means I'm a "don't screw with him, it'll hurt"
sort of fighter from the middle of the country)

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:49:44 -0400, (J T)
wrote:

http://www.brotherguido.com/armor/default.htm

I don't see any reason you couldn't make your own out of maybe 1/8"
plywood, they give the sizes, and looks like the lacing instructions are
complete enough. Plastic? Bah.

JOAT
A highbrow is a person educated beyond his intelligence.
- Brander Matthews