Avraham

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 08:39:20 -0500, Prometheus
wrote:

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 08:43:41 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Prometheus wrote:

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:49:44 -0400, (J T)
wrote:

http://www.brotherguido.com/armor/default.htm

I don't see any reason you couldn't make your own out of maybe 1/8"
plywood, they give the sizes, and looks like the lacing instructions are
complete enough. Plastic? Bah.

Never was a member of the SCA, but I've met plenty of folks who were
(or claimed to be, who really knows?) and the impression I got was
that they were not allowed to use plastic armor in any case, as it was
not availble during the periods of time they were re-enacting. Most
of the abovementioned folks made armor from leather soaked in parafin
wax or (if they were *really* into it) hand-hammered iron plates. But
you're right in any case- plywood would be kinda neat.

There are plenty of SCA sites on the Web that discuss this. Plastic is a
bit controversial but not in general prohibited. Safety first--if it's the
only way you can afford to engage in combat without getting hurt then so be
it. There are some other kinds of combat sport that require authenticity,
but SCA isn't all about combat, that's just one of their activities, and
they are not the "Society for Maintaining Historically Accurate
Anachronism", they are the "Society for _Creative_ Anachronism".

You might be confusing SCA with reenactment groups, which are much pickier
about such things.

That's certainly possible. Like I said, I was never into that- I just
knew a lot of folks who went on and on about it. I believe the event
they liked to refer to most often was called "Pensic" (Sp?)

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Pennsic. 12,000 or so of your closest friends camping for a week or
three in the Pennsylvania summer. It's definitely an experience.
Avraham