Default Right Blade, Left Blade

I finally bought a new circular saw. After a lot of research, I
decided on the 423 Porter Cable. It's a Blade Left saw, which means
the blade is on the left and the motor is on the right.

In the store, it was difficult to imagine using it. It wasn't until I
got it home, that I realized how much of a change this was. In some
instances, I could see where being able to see the blade would make a
difference. In particular, Edge cutting long sheet stock, would be
much easier, to not have to "cross over" yourself, while holding the
saw.

However, cross cutting 2 by stock was a PITA. I just could NOT get
used to the weight of the saw, resting on the waste peice. After the
cut, the board AND the saw fell.

The happy ending? I took the Blade Left back and traded it in for the
PC 324MAG (Blade Right). A great saw, so far.

I've read LOT'S of newsgroups and see that generally, people get used
to the left blade. Without regard for safety, I'm curious, just how
many of you have switched from Right Blade to Left Blade and if you
would be willing to comment on your experience/acceptance of the
change.

Thanks!

Never Enough Money

I am left handed so I like the blade on the right. I wished they made a
worm drive with the blade on the right (not just that little bitty worm
drive from Porter-Cable)

Leon

wrote in message
oups.com...

I've read LOT'S of newsgroups and see that generally, people get used
to the left blade. Without regard for safety, I'm curious, just how
many of you have switched from Right Blade to Left Blade and if you
would be willing to comment on your experience/acceptance of the
change.

You hit the nail righ square on the head. WITH OUT reguard for safety. The
left blade model is made for lefties. The right side blade is for right
handers.

If you see the blade when sawing you are typically going to get or have the
potential of getting a spray of dust in your face.

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...

However, cross cutting 2 by stock was a PITA. I just could NOT get
used to the weight of the saw, resting on the waste peice. After the
cut, the board AND the saw fell.

The happy ending? I took the Blade Left back and traded it in for the
PC 324MAG (Blade Right). A great saw, so far.

I've read LOT'S of newsgroups and see that generally, people get used
to the left blade.

You are using it backwards. If you were to use the saw in your left hand it
would be fine. Being a lefty, I curse the saw I have but just don't use it
enough to justify a new one.

Max

I've read LOT'S of newsgroups and see that generally, people get used
to the left blade. Without regard for safety, I'm curious, just how
many of you have switched from Right Blade to Left Blade and if you
would be willing to comment on your experience/acceptance of the
change.
Thanks!

I have a left blade saw just for cutting panels. I made a cutting guide
just for the left blade saw.
For other circular saw jobs I use a right blade saw.

Max D.

mac davis

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 14:22:40 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

However, cross cutting 2 by stock was a PITA. I just could NOT get
used to the weight of the saw, resting on the waste peice. After the
cut, the board AND the saw fell.

The happy ending? I took the Blade Left back and traded it in for the
PC 324MAG (Blade Right). A great saw, so far.

I've read LOT'S of newsgroups and see that generally, people get used
to the left blade.

You are using it backwards. If you were to use the saw in your left hand it
would be fine. Being a lefty, I curse the saw I have but just don't use it
enough to justify a new one.

Not a problem for me... I just start on the left-handed end of the board and the
saw is never resting on the waste piece.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Not a problem for me... I just start on the left-handed end of the

board and the
saw is never resting on the waste piece.. *g*

OK..maybe I'm not getting it. I admit, I don't have the saw to try
this, but thinking it through with my little brain.....

If I cut on the left end of the board, I'll likely be cutting with my
Left Hand. Since I'm not left handed, this would not be comfortable at
all for me. Furthermore, cutting that way, the blade is on the
opposing side and I'm back where I started!

Are you funnin' with me? Or am I missing something?

Teamcasa

That's why most sidewinder saws are blade right. Blade left only makes
sense if you're left handed or don't care one way or the other.

Could lefties using right handed saws explain their lowered longevity?

What???
I've used the arguably best cicular saw made, the Skill MAG 77 for many
years.
It has the blade on the left side and I'm right handed. This worm drive is
at home eating framing wood without difficulty all day, day after day and is
the choice of quality framers here in So. Calif. Guys that show up with the
sidewinders are looked upon as rookies.

It is a mystery why anyone would bother with one on the sidewinders unless
they can not lift a Skill MAG77.

I don't really mean to come off as araogant as my statements above read but
I have tried to use the right or left blade sidewinders and have always gone
back to the solid, accurate MAG77. Bosch now owns Skil and make a Bosch
version that is identical except for the guard.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Teamcasa

"Pat Barber"
You were doing it wrong. The motor side is always
on the finished side not the waste side. Using the
blade left saw requires changing your methods.

Is that some kind of rule? All of the circular saws I've ever seen had a
shoe for saw support on both sides of the blade.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Leon

wrote in message
oups.com...

Not a problem for me... I just start on the left-handed end of the

board and the
saw is never resting on the waste piece.. *g*

OK..maybe I'm not getting it. I admit, I don't have the saw to try
this, but thinking it through with my little brain.....

If I cut on the left end of the board, I'll likely be cutting with my
Left Hand. Since I'm not left handed, this would not be comfortable at
all for me. Furthermore, cutting that way, the blade is on the
opposing side and I'm back where I started!

Are you funnin' with me? Or am I missing something?

The left hand blade saw is intended to be used with the left hand of a left
handed person. Using it with you right hand is dead wrong. You bought the
wrong saw if you are right handed.

Leon

"Teamcasa" wrote in message
"Pat Barber"
You were doing it wrong. The motor side is always
on the finished side not the waste side. Using the
blade left saw requires changing your methods.

Is that some kind of rule? All of the circular saws I've ever seen had a
shoe for saw support on both sides of the blade.

If the blade is between both of your hands you typically get more dust in
your face. Te left sided blade was built so that a lefty could hold the saw
with his left hand and not have the blade between his left and right hand.

Pat Barber wrote:
You were doing it wrong. The motor side is always
on the finished side not the waste side. Using the
blade left saw requires changing your methods.

Pat (or someone),

I value your advice tremendously, so please be patient with me.

The question I have now is, two people have said, "You are doing it
wrong" and that I have to switch methods. Are you saying that I need
to become left handed?

Because, if I understand you, you are saying that I need to have the
motor over the "good" peice (not the waste). If so, I'd have to have
the saw in my left hand right (cutting on the left end of the board)?
And I'm not left handed.

Honestly....is this some kind of ongoing joke that I'm just not
getting? Or am I missing something?

I've read lots of forums where people seem to "get used" to it (blade
left saws - specifically, PC 423MAG). But I have a hard time believing
that the wood doesn't bind up, or that you don't have trouble
controlling the end of the cut, when the weight of the saw begins drop
the waste peice. And using the saw in my left hand, cutting on the
left side of the board feels akward. But I don't believe I could ever
get used to being left handed...can I?

Again, I value your opinion....thanks!

Roger

Worm drive saws are a completely different matter as the balance points
are such that it works fine in the right hand. THis thread was about
sidewinders.

Would lefties prefer a mirror image Skil 77? Or does it work
ambidextrously? My right hand is so dominant I can't even think about
using a saw with my left.

Roger

Teamcasa wrote:
[...]

Doug Miller

In article , "Teamcasa" wrote:
"Pat Barber"
You were doing it wrong. The motor side is always
on the finished side not the waste side. Using the
blade left saw requires changing your methods.

Is that some kind of rule? All of the circular saws I've ever seen had a
shoe for saw support on both sides of the blade.

Yes, that is the right way to use a circular saw. The heavy side of the saw
(that is, the side with the motor) should be on the side of the board that is
supported. Normally, this is the finished side, supported by sawhorses,
boards, or whatever, so that it doesn't fall when the cut is complete. If you
have the waste piece supported *also*, then it doesn't matter which side of
the cut the motor is on.
Dave

http://www.usenet.com

--
Regards,

About 5 years ago I did the EXACT same thing as your post above. I
wonder how many "factory referb" blade left saws are out there?

Doug Miller

In article . com, wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:
You were doing it wrong. The motor side is always
on the finished side not the waste side. Using the
blade left saw requires changing your methods.

Pat (or someone),

I value your advice tremendously, so please be patient with me.

The question I have now is, two people have said, "You are doing it
wrong" and that I have to switch methods. Are you saying that I need
to become left handed?

Not necessarily. If you're going to use a blade-left saw, then you need to
make cuts at the left end of the board. You can do this holding the saw
right-handed, but it is probably more convenient, and *definitely* more safe,
to do with the left hand. Your call.

Because, if I understand you, you are saying that I need to have the
motor over the "good" peice (not the waste). If so, I'd have to have
the saw in my left hand right (cutting on the left end of the board)?

Well, you *could* hold it in your right hand, cutting at the left end of the
board. But it's awkward, you'll get chips in your face, and you're at a *much*
higher risk of a leg injury if the saw slips or kicks back.

And I'm not left handed.

Then you should probably use a blade-right saw.

Honestly....is this some kind of ongoing joke that I'm just not
getting? Or am I missing something?

No jokes. If you're right-handed, you're better off with a blade-right saw;
vice versa if you're a lefty.

I've read lots of forums where people seem to "get used" to it (blade
left saws - specifically, PC 423MAG). But I have a hard time believing
that the wood doesn't bind up, or that you don't have trouble
controlling the end of the cut, when the weight of the saw begins drop
the waste peice.

You *do* have problems like that when the weight of the saw begins to drop the
waste piece. That's why you should *never* use a circular saw with its weight
on the waste piece.

And using the saw in my left hand, cutting on the
left side of the board feels akward. But I don't believe I could ever
get used to being left handed...can I?

Maybe. Some folks can, some can't. I played table tennis competitively when I
was in high school, and I knew this older, left-handed guy who was a superb
player, with a USTTA Class "A" rating (you can look it up - that's *really*
good). That is, I always *assumed* he was left-handed, because that's the way
he played, until one day I saw him sign his name on something -
*right*-handed. So of course I asked for the story... seems he'd had severe
bursitis in his right shoulder ten years earlier, and his doctor told him he'd
have to stop playing table tennis if he didn't want to lose the use of his
arm. He decided that wasn't acceptable. So he learned to play left-handed.
Starting at the age of forty.

As far as hand-held circular saws go, though, I'd have to say it's a lot
easier to just get a blade-right saw if you're right-handed.

--
Regards,

Swingman

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
You were doing it wrong. The motor side is always
on the finished side not the waste side.

Unfortunately there are some panel saw setups, and jigs that use saw guides,
that don't follow this convention with sidewinder circular saws, which can
be confusing as hell, particularly to those of us who spent the
preponderance of our circular saw lives with a left bladed, worm drive 77 in
our right hands.

AAMOF, I have a commercial panel saw setup that if the motor on my Makita
right bladed sidewinder was on the finished side, you couldn't use the guide
to cut anything over 1/2" thick with it.

I bought the Makita because that damned 77 just kept getting heavier and
heavier with each passing year. Now, besides being forced to use that sissy
sidewinder, I have to scratch my head a time or two when it comes to using
it in panel mode ... "Life gets teejus , don't It?"

.... apologies to Carson Robison.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Teamcasa

Leon said
The left hand blade saw is intended to be used with the left hand of a
left handed person. Using it with you right hand is dead wrong. You
bought the wrong saw if you are right handed.

Leon,
On most every post you make I tend to agree with you. However, you are the
one who is dead wrong.
Skill, Bosch, Makita, Milwaukee and Dewalt all make worm drive saws for the
construction industry. Do you think all framers are left handed?? Just try
to find a right bladed worm drive. For that matter, how many cordless
circular saw have left blades? Do you think anyone who uses a cordless
circular saw is left handed?

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

"Leon" wrote in message

"Teamcasa" wrote in message
"Pat Barber"
You were doing it wrong. The motor side is always
on the finished side not the waste side. Using the
blade left saw requires changing your methods.

Is that some kind of rule? All of the circular saws I've ever seen had

shoe for saw support on both sides of the blade.

If the blade is between both of your hands you typically get more dust in
your face. Te left sided blade was built so that a lefty could hold the

saw
with his left hand and not have the blade between his left and right hand.

I guess that all those skil 77 guys must all be left handed then...
No dust in your face means you aren't looking where you are cutting :-)

Leon

"Teamcasa" wrote in message

Leon,
On most every post you make I tend to agree with you. However, you are
the one who is dead wrong.
Skill, Bosch, Makita, Milwaukee and Dewalt all make worm drive saws for
the construction industry. Do you think all framers are left handed??
Just try to find a right bladed worm drive. For that matter, how many
cordless circular saw have left blades? Do you think anyone who uses a
cordless circular saw is left handed?

Dave

I can only attest that if you are using a right blade saw with your right
hand you are going to get more dust thrown into your face.

Teamcasa

"Pat Barber"
You were doing it wrong. The motor side is always
on the finished side not the waste side. Using the
blade left saw requires changing your methods.

Dave:
Is that some kind of rule? All of the circular saws I've ever seen had a
shoe for saw support on both sides of the blade.

Doug Miller:
Yes, that is the right way to use a circular saw. The heavy side of the
saw
(that is, the side with the motor) should be on the side of the board that
is
supported. Normally, this is the finished side, supported by sawhorses,
boards, or whatever, so that it doesn't fall when the cut is complete. If
you
have the waste piece supported *also*, then it doesn't matter which side
of
the cut the motor is on.

Wrong.
After making untold thousands of cuts with both, sidewinders and real
construction saws (worm drive), I can tell you for a fact, you should NEVER
support both sides! Serious kick back can and most certainly will occur
should you try this. Anyone who has ever made a living cutting lumber will
tell you to leave one side free to fall off. As for the weight issue, if a
2x4 or whatever is cross cut, the saw will rest on the side that is
supported and not fall with the fall off, the weight is not an issue if the
sawyer holds onto the saw.

See my response to Leon.

To the OP, the majority of saws are left side blades. That's a fact.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Teamcasa

"Swingman"
Snip
AAMOF, I have a commercial panel saw setup that if the motor on my Makita
right bladed sidewinder was on the finished side, you couldn't use the
guide
to cut anything over 1/2" thick with it.

I bought the Makita because that damned 77 just kept getting heavier and
heavier with each passing year. Now, besides being forced to use that
sissy
sidewinder, I have to scratch my head a time or two when it comes to using
it in panel mode ... "Life gets teejus , don't It?"

... apologies to Carson Robison.

I agree the old 77 gets heavier, but the MAG77 is a lighter. But, like you,
it gets heavier every year! I just can't justify getting a sissified
sidewinder yet! Maybe when I'm to old to lift the 77, I'll get the Makita
wormdrive, it's lighter still.

Dave

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

Doug Miller

In article , "Teamcasa" wrote:

[...]

"Can occur", perhaps. "Most certainly will occur", absolute nonsense. That
means it would happen every time, and my own experience contradicts that. The
only way that supporting both sides could cause a kickback is if they are not
supported equally, causing the blade to be pinched.

Anyone who has ever made a living cutting lumber will
tell you to leave one side free to fall off.

Hmmm.... how come radial arm saws support both sides of the cut? I've seen a
lot of guys in lumber yards using radial arm saws to cut lumber to length -
presumably they're making their living cutting lumber - and I haven't seen an
RAS yet with a provision for the waste to fall off.

As for the weight issue, if a
2x4 or whatever is cross cut, the saw will rest on the side that is
supported and not fall with the fall off, the weight is not an issue if the
sawyer holds onto the saw.

Do you mean that when you crosscut a 2x4, you're holding the *entire* weight
of the saw, with *none* of it resting on the board?

--
Regards,

Leon

OK, and the final answer, For this type saw, sidewinder, PC Model 423 left
hand blade. USE YOUR LEFT HAND.

Look at the owners manual where is clearly indicated to hold the saw with
your LEFT HAND ON THE TRIGGER.

Look here http://media.ptg-online.com/20050103...0-01-04-04.pdf
on pages 14,15,16.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Pat Barber wrote:
[...]

Leon

"Teamcasa" wrote in message

Wrong.
After making untold thousands of cuts with both, sidewinders and real
construction saws (worm drive), I can tell you for a fact, you should
NEVER support both sides! Serious kick back can and most certainly will
occur should you try this. Anyone who has ever made a living cutting
lumber will tell you to leave one side free to fall off.

So are you saying that when you are working on a $100 piece of plywood and
want to cut it to rough size by cutting 3' off of one end that you let the
3', $37 piece fall to the ground?

http://media.ptg-online.com/20050103...0-01-04-04.pdf

Take a look here at the Porter Cable site and owners manual from the OP's
saw and see how it shows to support both sides of a cut. I too have made a
WHOLE buncha cuts ;:~) with a portable circle saw and have not had a problem
supporting both sides when setting up properly. Done with a worm drive it
may be a scarey thing. BUT, the worm drives are not in question here. The
OP is concerned about a sidewinder.

To the OP, the majority of saws are left side blades. That's a fact.

Maybe on the Left coast but just about anywhere else, walk into any store
selling portable circle saws you will find the right handed ones and the
few left ones will be displayed and stocked in about the same proportions as
right handed and left handed people.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
m...
In article . com,

wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:
[...]

I have always used a "blade-left" saw and I'm right-handed. It is not a
problem.
Don't over-think this.

-j

Leon

"Teamcasa" wrote in message

Just try to find a right bladed worm drive.

The Porter Cable Worm Drive Trim Saw is right handed. While it is not a
large saw like you are talking about, the side winder that the OP is talking
is not as heavy and large either as the worm drive that you are talking
about either.

TeamCasa

snip
"Can occur", perhaps. "Most certainly will occur", absolute nonsense. That
means it would happen every time, and my own experience contradicts that.
The
only way that supporting both sides could cause a kickback is if they are
not
supported equally, causing the blade to be pinched.

Anyone who has ever made a living cutting lumber will
tell you to leave one side free to fall off.

Hmmm.... how come radial arm saws support both sides of the cut? I've seen
lot of guys in lumber yards using radial arm saws to cut lumber to
length -
presumably they're making their living cutting lumber - and I haven't seen
an
RAS yet with a provision for the waste to fall off.

Who said anything about a RAS or other saws designed to support the wood. A
circular saw is supported by the wood.

As for the weight issue, if a
2x4 or whatever is cross cut, the saw will rest on the side that is
supported and not fall with the fall off, the weight is not an issue if
the
sawyer holds onto the saw.

Do you mean that when you crosscut a 2x4, you're holding the *entire*
weight
of the saw, with *none* of it resting on the board?

Nope. Maybe a visual will help. A 10' 2x4 needs to be 9'. A line is made
at the 9' mark. The 2x4 is setting on a set of sawhorses spaced 5' apart.
A 15" section is extending past one of the sawhorses, unsupported. With
your left hand, you are holding the 9' section down and with your right hand
you grab your trusty left blade saw and slice the line off. The small,
unsupported piece falls safely to the ground, the saw is still on the 9'
section. You then remove the saw from the now 9' 2x4.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
TeamCasa

Leon said
So are you saying that when you are working on a $100 piece of plywood and
want to cut it to rough size by cutting 3' off of one end that you let the
3', $37 piece fall to the ground?

http://media.ptg-online.com/20050103...0-01-04-04.pdf

Take a look here at the Porter Cable site and owners manual from the OP's
saw and see how it shows to support both sides of a cut. I too have made
a WHOLE buncha cuts ;:~) with a portable circle saw and have not had a
problem supporting both sides when setting up properly. Done with a worm
drive it may be a scarey thing. BUT, the worm drives are not in question
here. The OP is concerned about a sidewinder.

Nope. I was not talking about plywood sheets, just lumber. And the OP was
concerned about left vs right cutting saws not sidewinder vs worm drives.

To the OP, the majority of saws are left side blades. That's a fact.

Leon said
Maybe on the Left coast but just about anywhere else, walk into any store
selling portable circle saws you will find the right handed ones and the
few left ones will be displayed and stocked in about the same proportions
as right handed and left handed people.

Maybe at Wal-Mart. However, facts are stubborn things. Left side blade saws
are more popular. Each manufacture will tell you that. And if you are
correct, why do the saw manufacturers only make left side cordless versions?
(At least I haven't seen any right side ones.)

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
TeamCasa

"Roger"
Worm drive saws are a completely different matter as the balance points
are such that it works fine in the right hand. THis thread was about
sidewinders.

I'm must be confused... I thought the OP asked about Right or Left blade.

Would lefties prefer a mirror image Skil 77? Or does it work
ambidextrously? My right hand is so dominant I can't even think about
using a saw with my left.

Try it in your right hand or left, the old 77 cuts great either way.
Say, why is it that left side saws out sell right sided ones? Are more
professional carpenters left-handed or ambidextrous?

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

TeamCasa wrote:
snip
Nope. Maybe a visual will help. A 10' 2x4 needs to be 9'. A line is

made
at the 9' mark. The 2x4 is setting on a set of sawhorses spaced 5'

apart.
A 15" section is extending past one of the sawhorses, unsupported.

With
your left hand, you are holding the 9' section down and with your

right hand
you grab your trusty left blade saw and slice the line off. The

small,
unsupported piece falls safely to the ground, the saw is still on the

9'
section. You then remove the saw from the now 9' 2x4.

Gentlmen,

This is EXACTLy the kind of post I was looking for, before I bought the
PC 423 (blade left) and eventually, the 324 (blade right). I sincerely
appreciate the spirited discussion. I was thinking I was the only one
scratching my head, but it appears I'm not alone. There is some
confusion.

I followed your logic and your visual all the way to the end. But with
the PC 423 (blade left) saw, the unsupported piece falls to the ground,
with the saw. The weight of the motor, forces the saw off the board.
I suppose it's possible to hold it up, but once it's start to slip off,
there is very little shoe holding it up.

Having said that...you realize, I'm talking sidewinder here, not worm
gear. Your visual may well be correct, with the worm gear.

As far as my particular saw goes, it appears that Leon found the answer
in the owners manual (but who reads those...right?). It clearly says,
hold in LEFT hand.

I'm not saying anybody is wrong, but it struck me as odd, that so many
right handed people liked the blade left saw. It just did not feel
comfortable to me, when cutting anything other than sheet.

Again gentlemen, I thank you for your opinions and suggestions. I am
grateful.

I have the blade right PC 324...and feel comfortable again.

Thank you

Unquestionably Confused

Pat Barber wrote:

You were doing it wrong. The motor side is always
on the finished side not the waste side. Using the
blade left saw requires changing your methods.

Pat (or someone),

I value your advice tremendously, so please be patient with me.

The question I have now is, two people have said, "You are doing it
wrong" and that I have to switch methods. Are you saying that I need
to become left handed?

I'm Someone, not Patg

What he and others are telling you, quite simply is: The weight of the
saw, for safety's sake, is to be resting on the supported side of the
wood being cut. How you accomplish that is up to you.

Because, if I understand you, you are saying that I need to have the
motor over the "good" peice (not the waste). If so, I'd have to have
the saw in my left hand right (cutting on the left end of the board)?
And I'm not left handed.

Oh well, you've got the concept down but... So you're not left-handed.
We aren't talking about handwriting here, just simple motor skills.
Yeah, it can be a bit awkward the first few times but look at it this
way: You CAN do it, you WILL concentrate on what you're doing in order
to do it and CONCENTRATION is a GOOD THING when dealing with power tools.

Still think you can't do it? Can you manage to get a can of beer up to
your mouth while holding a sandwich in your right? or vice versa? If
so, you can handle the saw regardless of what side the blade is on.
Just remember - KEEP THE MOTOR OVER THE GOOD, SUPPORTED PIECE, not the
cutoff! g

Leon

"TeamCasa" wrote in message
"Roger"
Worm drive saws are a completely different matter as the balance points
are such that it works fine in the right hand. THis thread was about
sidewinders.

I'm must be confused... I thought the OP asked about Right or Left blade.

No that was the title of the OP post. He specifically is talking about the
PC model 423 Sidewinder.

Leon

"TeamCasa" wrote in message

And the OP was concerned about left vs right cutting saws not sidewinder
vs worm drives.

Nope, the OP is talking specifically about the PC 423 Left hand Sidewinder.

Still think you can't do it? Can you manage to get a can of beer up

your mouth while holding a sandwich in your right? or vice versa?

If
so, you can handle the saw regardless of what side the blade is on.
Just remember - KEEP THE MOTOR OVER THE GOOD, SUPPORTED PIECE, not

the
cutoff! g

Unquestionably

You gave me an idea.....Maybe I should sit back, enjoy a beer and not
let all this bother me!

Thanks!

Leon

wrote in message
ups.com...

I'm not saying anybody is wrong, but it struck me as odd, that so many
right handed people liked the blade left saw. It just did not feel
comfortable to me, when cutting anything other than sheet.

I suspect that a lot of right handed people like the left because you can
see the blade and cut line easier. BUT that is a more dangerous situation
than having the blade outside the width of your body. As for as the
Wormdrive is concerned, most are left bladed but IMHO since they are "heavy"
and most people are right handed the right hand more easily would grab the
weighted end of the saw and the left hand hold the trigger end. More than
likely many framers use it in the opposite fashion, and I have seen framers
remove the guards. Typically if you are right handed, cutting a 2x4 to
length is naturally easier going from right to left to make the mark. Pull
the tape with your left hand and mark the line with your right hand. Since
cutting from the left end of the board would be the natural next step, use a
left hand saw.

Leon

"TeamCasa" wrote in message

Maybe at Wal-Mart.

LOL, ;~) I don't shop at Walmart, I shop many places and even considering
all the places that sell to the trades, the right hand is the predominent
one that I see. If you work in a location or region that the trades use
worm drive I can see your point. But in Texas I can honestly say that I
have never seen any one use a worm drive. Now, Swingman and I live relative
close to each other but he is the first person that I know of that uses a
worm drive. I have worked for a builder and make my living in the wood
working industry so my experience here is not shadowed or limited. Side
winders are mostly what are used here and most are right bladed.

However, facts are stubborn things. Left side blade saws
are more popular. Each manufacture will tell you that. And if you are
correct, why do the saw manufacturers only make left side cordless
versions?

I am clueless with an answer to that one but then I am pretty clueless why a
cordless circle saw was even produced.

Scraper Plane Edge Prep B_Lerner Woodworking 10 March 25th 05 09:36 PM
Systi-Matic Glue Line Rip blade opinions / reviews Rob Ritch Woodworking 5 March 8th 05 11:18 PM
warped saw blade? GBannish Woodworking 3 January 11th 05 04:31 PM
Mini Review: Forrest WoodWorker II Blade Lacerates Arm to Bone Greg G. Woodworking 15 October 1st 04 05:02 PM