Teamcasa

"Pat Barber"
You were doing it wrong. The motor side is always
on the finished side not the waste side. Using the
blade left saw requires changing your methods.

Dave:
Is that some kind of rule? All of the circular saws I've ever seen had a
shoe for saw support on both sides of the blade.

Doug Miller:
Yes, that is the right way to use a circular saw. The heavy side of the
saw
(that is, the side with the motor) should be on the side of the board that
is
supported. Normally, this is the finished side, supported by sawhorses,
boards, or whatever, so that it doesn't fall when the cut is complete. If
you
have the waste piece supported *also*, then it doesn't matter which side
of
the cut the motor is on.

Wrong.
After making untold thousands of cuts with both, sidewinders and real
construction saws (worm drive), I can tell you for a fact, you should NEVER
support both sides! Serious kick back can and most certainly will occur
should you try this. Anyone who has ever made a living cutting lumber will
tell you to leave one side free to fall off. As for the weight issue, if a
2x4 or whatever is cross cut, the saw will rest on the side that is
supported and not fall with the fall off, the weight is not an issue if the
sawyer holds onto the saw.

See my response to Leon.

To the OP, the majority of saws are left side blades. That's a fact.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com