TeamCasa

snip
"Can occur", perhaps. "Most certainly will occur", absolute nonsense. That
means it would happen every time, and my own experience contradicts that.
The
only way that supporting both sides could cause a kickback is if they are
not
supported equally, causing the blade to be pinched.

Anyone who has ever made a living cutting lumber will
tell you to leave one side free to fall off.

Hmmm.... how come radial arm saws support both sides of the cut? I've seen
lot of guys in lumber yards using radial arm saws to cut lumber to
length -
presumably they're making their living cutting lumber - and I haven't seen
an
RAS yet with a provision for the waste to fall off.

Who said anything about a RAS or other saws designed to support the wood. A
circular saw is supported by the wood.

As for the weight issue, if a
2x4 or whatever is cross cut, the saw will rest on the side that is
supported and not fall with the fall off, the weight is not an issue if
the
sawyer holds onto the saw.

Do you mean that when you crosscut a 2x4, you're holding the *entire*
weight
of the saw, with *none* of it resting on the board?

Nope. Maybe a visual will help. A 10' 2x4 needs to be 9'. A line is made
at the 9' mark. The 2x4 is setting on a set of sawhorses spaced 5' apart.
A 15" section is extending past one of the sawhorses, unsupported. With
your left hand, you are holding the 9' section down and with your right hand
you grab your trusty left blade saw and slice the line off. The small,
unsupported piece falls safely to the ground, the saw is still on the 9'
section. You then remove the saw from the now 9' 2x4.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com