Junior Member

Default Jet vs Delta 14" lathe

I have been using the Jet mini lathe for the past year and have now decided to step up to a 14" lathe. I like both the Delta and Jet and am having a very difficult time deciding between the two. It appears that the additional cost of the Jet is primarily due to the cast iron legs. I don't particularly like the motor location on the Jet, but it does have some features that the Delta does not. Can someone give me pros and cons and any experience you can share?

Ed
Lem Bledsoe

For the extra money for the Jet you get a heavier lathe, drive
center/live center than line up properly, a quite vibration free lathe
plus a much better/heavier stand. The Delta 1440 I owned had none of the
above attributes. I unloaded it for half what I paid.

You won't be sorry if you buy the Jet 1442.

LB

Maxprop

"Ed Murray" wrote in message

I have been using the Jet mini lathe for the past year and have now
decided to step up to a 14" lathe. I like both the Delta and Jet and
am having a very difficult time deciding between the two. It appears
that the additional cost of the Jet is primarily due to the cast iron
legs. I don't particularly like the motor location on the Jet, but it
does have some features that the Delta does not. Can someone give me
pros and cons and any experience you can share?

After adding an additional 100lbs. in sandbags to my Jet 1442, it is about
as quiet and vibration-free as a 14" lathe can be. The basic lathe with the
legs weighs 350 lbs., and with the sand it tops at roughly 450 lbs. The
Delta weighs less than half that.

Technical details aside, it's been a nearly flawless lathe and has performed
so well that while I've sought to replace it with something larger, I
haven't pursued this with much enthusiasm, the Jet is working so well.

Max

RonB

I have had the Jet 1442 for about 15 months and overall I am quite pleased.

Pro's
- Easy to assemble
- Cast iron legs are very heavy and add to the already heavy bed and other
components
- Quiet, low vibration.
- Easy to learn with (I am a newbie)

Con's
- I share your motor placement opinion but not a real problem yet.
- Speed control is kind of sticky, especially when cold. I am told this is
fixed.
- Price is going up. Paid $799. Recently saw same machine-same shop for
$915.

I would buy it again.
RonB

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lem Bledsoe
For the extra money for the Jet you get a heavier lathe, drive
center/live center than line up properly, a quite vibration free lathe
plus a much better/heavier stand. The Delta 1440 I owned had none of the
above attributes. I unloaded it for half what I paid.

You won't be sorry if you buy the Jet 1442.

LB

Thank you LB for the reply. I guess it just seems that Delta would make the necessary improvements to take care of some of these problems. Some people seem to be quite satisfied with the Delta and others are not. I still do not care for the motor placement with the Jet. Also, I am going to have to mobilize whatever lathe I get. So the stand may not make that much difference since it won't stay put.

Ed

WaltC

Ed--

I am a new Jet 1442 owner, and highly pleased with it after 6 months.
My previous lathe was so old the name plate was worn down, so I can't
compare what I have with others on the market.

It does everything I ask it to. I agree with the pros and cons of
others. One more con, I have found that the paint chips fairly easily
when I hit the frame with the tool rest. Not intentionally--yet.

One other strong pro--I am working on turning bowls, and I like to do
my hollowing with the head turned at 30 or so degrees to the bed. Of
course you have to use the extra arm on the tool rest when you do this.
The result is rock steady. Any vibration or chatter I get is because
of my use of the tool, not the rest wiggling.

I've not had a problem with the motor mount--it is indeed close--except
for one piece of firewood I face plate mounted to try to make a bowl
out of it. It had a hook that bumped the moter. I turned it
around--and had to turn it off anyway--so it was a small problem.

I'm not sure about having it mobile--unless you don't turn unbalanced
stuff. Mine isn't. But if I did have to move it, I think I would keep
the legs, and put a castered platform under it. TThe legs are fairly
cheap, and they are really rigid. I did have to put a 2x4 under mine
to get the lathe to comfortable turning height (I'm 6') so there is a
bit of room for some sort of wheeled contraption.

On the Wood Magazine Woodturning forum there have been lots of
complaints about problems with Delta machines, and problems with
Delta's customer relations. Scared me off. I can't tell you how
customer relations with Jet work--haven't had any problems.
Hope you love it.

Walt C

WaltC

Ron,

What is the fix for a sticky speed control? I had to quit turning in
35 degrees ambient, because the lathe was colder than I was.

Walt C

Lem Bledsoe

the motor placement is not a problem. i turn a lot of 12-14 inch bowls
using a super nova or face plate with no problem. the face plate
supplied with the jet is thicker to allow for motor clearance. I do
question the motor location when sanding a piece on the lathe. the dust
can be drawn into the motor if you don't use dust collection. i use dust
collection...more worried about my lungs that the motor.

you could not buy the jet leg set and build your own stand with mobility
built in.

LB

Stephen M

- Price is going up. Paid $799. Recently saw same machine-same shop for
$915.

Ye, they are more pricey now. However Amazon has it (with legs) for 849.99
less 25$ promotion for any tool over $199. Free shipping brings me to 824.99
delivered.

Given the recent increases in big-iron tools I think this is a pretty good
deal.

The extra bonus is that *I think* this qualifies for 3% rebate points on my
amazon card.

Other vendors I have found are cheaper, but they want up to $155 for
residential delivery

-Steve

ebd

If you are paying nearly $900 for a Delta or Jet you would have to be
nuts not to get a Nova 3000 for the same price. Woodcraft 1 HP AC just
under $900.

Lem Bledsoe

Nova is not variable speed plus it is very light. not even in the same
ballpark as the jet.

LB

Maxprop

"RonB" wrote in message

I have had the Jet 1442 for about 15 months and overall I am quite pleased.

Con's
- Speed control is kind of sticky, especially when cold. I am told this
is fixed.

I bent the detent pin on my speed control the first day. Replaced the whole
control unit with a new one from Jet--only about $20--and it works fine. I
think the original units had holes a bit small for the pins, thus the
sticking. Also the lever works more smoothly if you apply some oil. FWIW.

Max

Maxprop

"WaltC" wrote in message
Ron,

What is the fix for a sticky speed control? I had to quit turning in
35 degrees ambient, because the lathe was colder than I was.

See my note to Ron. I think the holes for the detent pin are too small on
the original speed control units. I ruined mine, and the replacement works
far superiorly. I also lubed the level pivot and everything now seems slick
and smooth.

Max

Maxprop

"WaltC" wrote in message

I can't tell you how
customer relations with Jet work--haven't had any problems.

So far nothing but the best support and assistance.

Max

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lem Bledsoe
Nova is not variable speed plus it is very light. not even in the same
ballpark as the jet.

LB

I thought so. Went to Woodcraft site and checked the price of Nova. Also heard that Delta was being bought by Black and Decker. Don't know if it is true or what it really means for the future of Delta products.

Ed

ebd

You must be thinking of the 16" Jet. The 3K is an order of magnitude
better than either 14". Machining & engineering. Weight alone isn't
everything and any amount can be added. Variable speed is (mostly)
hype. The range on the 3K is more than needed and belt drive doesn't
suffer from low speed torque problems of electronic VS nor the noise
adjustment & cleaning problems of a Reeves drive.

robo hippy

I have talked to Jet a couple of times about their motor being on
backwards, and they don't care. When I do a natural edge bowl, I make a
flat spot on top (forstner bit and depth stop on the drill press) and
then put a face plate on. The motor is in the way, unless the bowl is
small. As long as nothing extends over the faceplate, you can turn as
big as the lathe can handle. The intake of the motor will pull in dust
while turning, not just while sanding. Other than that, it is a good
lathe.
robo hippy

ebd wrote:
You must be thinking of the 16" Jet. The 3K is an order of magnitude
better than either 14". Machining & engineering. Weight alone isn't
everything and any amount can be added. Variable speed is (mostly)
hype. The range on the 3K is more than needed and belt drive doesn't
suffer from low speed torque problems of electronic VS nor the noise
adjustment & cleaning problems of a Reeves drive.

Maxprop

"ebd" wrote in message

The range on the 3K is more than needed and belt drive doesn't
suffer from low speed torque problems of electronic VS nor the noise
adjustment & cleaning problems of a Reeves drive.

I've heard this claim many times, but am puzzled by it. What sort of
cleaning and adjustment problems have you incurred with a Reeves drive?
I've turned about 150 hours on my Jet 1442 and so far no problems of any
sort. I did replace the belt early on with a segmented belt for the sole
purpose of smoothness, but beyond that I've had not problem one.

Max

Maxprop

"robo hippy" wrote in message

I have talked to Jet a couple of times about their motor being on
backwards, and they don't care. When I do a natural edge bowl, I make a
flat spot on top (forstner bit and depth stop on the drill press) and
then put a face plate on. The motor is in the way, unless the bowl is
small. As long as nothing extends over the faceplate, you can turn as
big as the lathe can handle.

Solution: I purchased a 1x8--to--1 1/4x8 adaptor to enable using a chuck
with the larger thread diameter. Now everything clears the motor, and I've
incurred no additional vibration of any sort. I got rid of my 1x8
faceplates and only use 1 1/4x8 plates now.

The intake of the motor will pull in dust
while turning, not just while sanding. Other than that, it is a good
lathe.

Solution: I put an old nylon stocking--a wifely discard--over the motor
grill and so far no dust buildup in the motor at all. I blow the stocking
"filter" off every few hours with high pressure air. Work like a charm.

Max

ebd

Unless kept clean the pulleys become hard to move and will not go the
full range. Depending on what you turn and sand, humidity, and other
shop conditions this can be rather frequent. Also, this drive system
can drift out of parallel too easily for my taste. When I'm in my
shop, I want to work on wood, not machine maintenence. Once aligned
and set up perfectly, a machine shouldn't need additional
set-up/alignment work more than once in about 10 years (unless it's
abused). BTW I wouldn't consider 150 hours to be heavy use. That's
not even the break in period.

Lem Bledsoe

Well Maxprop, looks like we have another Capt Neal or Bobsprit here on
rcw.

LB

Maxprop

"ebd" wrote in message

Unless kept clean the pulleys become hard to move and will not go the
full range. Depending on what you turn and sand, humidity, and other
shop conditions this can be rather frequent. Also, this drive system
can drift out of parallel too easily for my taste. When I'm in my
shop, I want to work on wood, not machine maintenence. Once aligned
and set up perfectly, a machine shouldn't need additional
set-up/alignment work more than once in about 10 years (unless it's
abused). BTW I wouldn't consider 150 hours to be heavy use. That's
not even the break in period.

I wasn't implying that it was heavy use, only that amount it has been used
so far. I'm new to turning. But my statement stands--no problems so far,
and I pull the cover over the drive from time to time just to inspect and
lube the pulley half that moves. Everything in there looks fine, with
minimal debris and no apparent belt wear--another 'complaint' about Reeves
drives.

It's fairly common to hear complaints about Reeves drives. It's obviously
not the ideal system for a lathe, but it allows speed control without the
high cost of an electronic VS drive, ergo the lathe simply doesn't cost as
much. Purchase price is a major consideration for some new turners. Not
everyone can afford a VS lathe in the range of $2K or much more. To simply
criticize the RD as an inferior speed control device is akin to criticizing
a Mazda Miata because it isn't as capable as a Saleen S7. A RD, properly
maintained, will give years of useful service. It is unreasonable to
eliminate a particular lathe from consideration simply because it does not
benefit from state-of-the-art technology, especially in this price range.

Max

Maxprop

"Lem Bledsoe" wrote in message

Well Maxprop, looks like we have another Capt Neal or Bobsprit here on
rcw.

LB

LOL! Yup.

And who might you be on ASA?

Max

Lem Bledsoe

I am a muddy water sailor on the Ohio river in Kentucky and a wanna be
salt water man. Have always had power boats, sailboats just don't work
on the river.

Took basic sailing lessons in Florida a few years ago and got hooked.
Read everything I could and scoured the Internet for sailing links. Have
mostly been a lurker on ASA. I had this grand design to sail of into the
sunset, but with a wife that is not much into boating and a family I am
still wanna being.

Then I discovered turning. If sailboats are as money hungry as
powerboats, which I am sure they are, I am probably better off
financially with the lathe. But to quote Sterling Hayden "Is it better
to be broke of purse or broke of mind?"

And yes, the Jet 1442 is a find lathe. Should I ever feel the need move
up, I would look real hard at the Powermatic 3520.

Lem Bledsoe
Warsaw, Ky

ebd

I agree that the Reeves is a good alternatie to electronic. Actually,
I think it's a better alternative, not so much because of price, but
because you maintain low end torque with a mechanical drive.
Personally, I still prefer a direct drive belt/pulley cluster. The
Reeves is a secondary consideration. The last time I looked (and that
was some time ago) the Delta & Jet were quite a bit less than the 3K.
If they are now at the same price point as the 3K they are overpriced.
The machining, design, and engineering on the 3K is superior.

Maxprop

"ebd" wrote in message

I agree that the Reeves is a good alternatie to electronic. Actually,
I think it's a better alternative, not so much because of price, but
because you maintain low end torque with a mechanical drive.
Personally, I still prefer a direct drive belt/pulley cluster. The
Reeves is a secondary consideration. The last time I looked (and that
was some time ago) the Delta & Jet were quite a bit less than the 3K.
If they are now at the same price point as the 3K they are overpriced.
The machining, design, and engineering on the 3K is superior.

I paid $767 for my Jet 1442 one year ago, including the legs. Now the price
at the same store is around $950--an increase (probably due to the falling
dollar against Asian currencies), but still well below the price of a DVR.
As for the 3K, I haven't seen that model for sale for some time. A good
used one shows up from time to time, though.

Max

Maxprop

"Lem Bledsoe" wrote in message

I am a muddy water sailor on the Ohio river in Kentucky and a wanna be salt
water man. Have always had power boats, sailboats just don't work on the
river.

Took basic sailing lessons in Florida a few years ago and got hooked. Read
everything I could and scoured the Internet for sailing links. Have mostly
been a lurker on ASA. I had this grand design to sail of into the sunset,
but with a wife that is not much into boating and a family I am still
wanna being.

The wife issue is the primary reason those sail-off-into-the-sunset dreams
never materialize. Few wives, it seems, have the desire to live in rolling,
sweaty, cramped quarters for months on end, like we men seem to have.

Then I discovered turning. If sailboats are as money hungry as powerboats,

They can be, but as a rule are not.

which I am sure they are, I am probably better off financially with the
lathe. But to quote Sterling Hayden "Is it better to be broke of purse or
broke of mind?"

Ah, yes, another Sterling Hayden fan. I can't imagine not having a boat.

And yes, the Jet 1442 is a find lathe. Should I ever feel the need move
up, I would look real hard at the Powermatic 3520.

Lem Bledsoe
Warsaw, Ky

I was primed to order a PM 3520 until I had the opportunity to turn a bowl
on an acquaintance's Oneway. Talk about precision, smoothness, and power.
What a lovely machine. But realistically I'm probably not going to sell the
1442 for another year or so, it's doing so well and I'm quite used to it.
For the money it's a great lathe, and probably underrated.

Max
Mishawaka, IN

ebd

My local Woodcraft has a 3K on the floor. It's also in the Woodcraft
catalog (with 1.5 HP Ac motor) for $899.99.

I don't like the DVR. Way too much money, way too risky (any motor
problem kills the lathe), and (as I said before) I truely believe that
variable speed is way more hype than reality.

Maxprop

"ebd" wrote in message

My local Woodcraft has a 3K on the floor. It's also in the Woodcraft
catalog (with 1.5 HP Ac motor) for $899.99.

Hmmm. That's a good price for a fine piece of equipment. I probably would
have considered one, had they been available at the time.

Does anyone know if the 3000 is still available, or does his Woodcraft store
have a carry-over?

Max

George

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

"ebd" wrote in message

My local Woodcraft has a 3K on the floor. It's also in the Woodcraft
catalog (with 1.5 HP Ac motor) for $899.99.

Hmmm. That's a good price for a fine piece of equipment. I probably

would
have considered one, had they been available at the time.

Does anyone know if the 3000 is still available, or does his Woodcraft

store
have a carry-over?

Delivery delayed, according to what I've seen.

Implies availability, but March.

Lem Bledsoe

My woodcraft store had a Nova 3K on the floor and I bought a Jet 1442.

BTW what ever became of the Nova Mercury Lathe...can the 3K be far behind?

LB

RonB

What is the fix for a sticky speed control? I had to quit turning in
35 degrees ambient, because the lathe was colder than I was.

See my note to Ron. I think the holes for the detent pin are too small on
the original speed control units. I ruined mine, and the replacement
works far superiorly. I also lubed the level pivot and everything now
seems slick and smooth.

I have previously heard about the holes too but haven't had a chance to take
a look at it. A previous post suggested that gentle emery reaming and a
drop of oil will remedy.

The Jet on-line tech support recommends cleaning the belt-drive area but
that sounds a bit flakey. I had the problem before the machine had a chance
to gum up. I'll need to tear it apart and try the ream and oil.

Maxprop

"RonB" wrote in message

What is the fix for a sticky speed control? I had to quit turning in
35 degrees ambient, because the lathe was colder than I was.

See my note to Ron. I think the holes for the detent pin are too small
on the original speed control units. I ruined mine, and the replacement
works far superiorly. I also lubed the level pivot and everything now
seems slick and smooth.

I have previously heard about the holes too but haven't had a chance to
take a look at it. A previous post suggested that gentle emery reaming
and a drop of oil will remedy.

Had I not bent my original pin, I would have tried that, and with success,
I'm sure. A proper size rattail file should do the job quickly.

The Jet on-line tech support recommends cleaning the belt-drive area but
that sounds a bit flakey. I had the problem before the machine had a
chance to gum up. I'll need to tear it apart and try the ream and oil.

You can actually ream the detent holes without removing the speed control
unit. Same with oiling the pivot. Mine will actually go past the holes on
either end a little, with no binding whatever. One other suggestion: try
one of those red linked belts--the resulting smoothness is amazing. And the
one I installed doesn't seem to wear at all; at least there's no apparent
belt residue in the compartment.

Max

Maxprop

"Anonymous" wrote in message

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 05:57:17 +0000, Maxprop wrote:

One other suggestion:
try one of those red linked belts--the resulting smoothness is amazing.
And the one I installed doesn't seem to wear at all; at least there's no
apparent belt residue in the compartment.

I second that ... but I wish mine WOULD show some wear -- it jumps the
pulley on my HF 12x33 when I try to take it to top speed.

Hmmm ... maybe I should try taking a link out?

The quandary I faced when installing the link belt is that it seemed to be
perfect somewhere between removing or leaving the final link. But I left
the link in and it works fine. I haven't noticed any belt stretch, and it
hasn't jumped a sheave. I'm satisfied.

Max

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Bill

You sure your pulleys are lined up ??
Hold a straight edge along side your pulley and check, belt shouldn't
jump out of the pulley if lined up, unless there is a piece missing out
off the belt, not because its a little loose.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Anonymous wrote:

-- it jumps the
pulley on my HF 12x33 when I try to take it to top speed.

Hmmm ... maybe I should try taking a link out?

Bill

Delta Homecraft Lathe pics posted in abpw John Moorhead Woodworking 3 June 7th 04 10:24 AM
Lathe help .. Delta 46-715 or Jet 1442 TDUP Woodworking 3 December 27th 03 01:18 PM
Delta lathe tailstock chuck issue moggy Woodturning 7 December 22nd 03 05:54 PM
Old Delta Lathe Worth New motor? Dain-Owens Woodturning 14 November 19th 03 06:34 AM
Delta model 1460 lathe Bob Itnyre Woodturning 2 September 23rd 03 04:38 AM