Maxprop

"RonB" wrote in message

What is the fix for a sticky speed control? I had to quit turning in
35 degrees ambient, because the lathe was colder than I was.

See my note to Ron. I think the holes for the detent pin are too small
on the original speed control units. I ruined mine, and the replacement
works far superiorly. I also lubed the level pivot and everything now
seems slick and smooth.

I have previously heard about the holes too but haven't had a chance to
take a look at it. A previous post suggested that gentle emery reaming
and a drop of oil will remedy.

Had I not bent my original pin, I would have tried that, and with success,
I'm sure. A proper size rattail file should do the job quickly.

The Jet on-line tech support recommends cleaning the belt-drive area but
that sounds a bit flakey. I had the problem before the machine had a
chance to gum up. I'll need to tear it apart and try the ream and oil.

You can actually ream the detent holes without removing the speed control
unit. Same with oiling the pivot. Mine will actually go past the holes on
either end a little, with no binding whatever. One other suggestion: try
one of those red linked belts--the resulting smoothness is amazing. And the
one I installed doesn't seem to wear at all; at least there's no apparent
belt residue in the compartment.

Max