Maxprop

"Ed Murray" wrote in message

I have been using the Jet mini lathe for the past year and have now
decided to step up to a 14" lathe. I like both the Delta and Jet and
am having a very difficult time deciding between the two. It appears
that the additional cost of the Jet is primarily due to the cast iron
legs. I don't particularly like the motor location on the Jet, but it
does have some features that the Delta does not. Can someone give me
pros and cons and any experience you can share?

After adding an additional 100lbs. in sandbags to my Jet 1442, it is about
as quiet and vibration-free as a 14" lathe can be. The basic lathe with the
legs weighs 350 lbs., and with the sand it tops at roughly 450 lbs. The
Delta weighs less than half that.

Technical details aside, it's been a nearly flawless lathe and has performed
so well that while I've sought to replace it with something larger, I
haven't pursued this with much enthusiasm, the Jet is working so well.

Max