Maxprop

"Lem Bledsoe" wrote in message

I am a muddy water sailor on the Ohio river in Kentucky and a wanna be salt
water man. Have always had power boats, sailboats just don't work on the
river.

Took basic sailing lessons in Florida a few years ago and got hooked. Read
everything I could and scoured the Internet for sailing links. Have mostly
been a lurker on ASA. I had this grand design to sail of into the sunset,
but with a wife that is not much into boating and a family I am still
wanna being.

The wife issue is the primary reason those sail-off-into-the-sunset dreams
never materialize. Few wives, it seems, have the desire to live in rolling,
sweaty, cramped quarters for months on end, like we men seem to have.

Then I discovered turning. If sailboats are as money hungry as powerboats,

They can be, but as a rule are not.

which I am sure they are, I am probably better off financially with the
lathe. But to quote Sterling Hayden "Is it better to be broke of purse or
broke of mind?"

Ah, yes, another Sterling Hayden fan. I can't imagine not having a boat.

And yes, the Jet 1442 is a find lathe. Should I ever feel the need move
up, I would look real hard at the Powermatic 3520.

Lem Bledsoe
Warsaw, Ky

I was primed to order a PM 3520 until I had the opportunity to turn a bowl
on an acquaintance's Oneway. Talk about precision, smoothness, and power.
What a lovely machine. But realistically I'm probably not going to sell the
1442 for another year or so, it's doing so well and I'm quite used to it.
For the money it's a great lathe, and probably underrated.

Max
Mishawaka, IN