WaltC

Ed--

I am a new Jet 1442 owner, and highly pleased with it after 6 months.
My previous lathe was so old the name plate was worn down, so I can't
compare what I have with others on the market.

It does everything I ask it to. I agree with the pros and cons of
others. One more con, I have found that the paint chips fairly easily
when I hit the frame with the tool rest. Not intentionally--yet.

One other strong pro--I am working on turning bowls, and I like to do
my hollowing with the head turned at 30 or so degrees to the bed. Of
course you have to use the extra arm on the tool rest when you do this.
The result is rock steady. Any vibration or chatter I get is because
of my use of the tool, not the rest wiggling.

I've not had a problem with the motor mount--it is indeed close--except
for one piece of firewood I face plate mounted to try to make a bowl
out of it. It had a hook that bumped the moter. I turned it
around--and had to turn it off anyway--so it was a small problem.

I'm not sure about having it mobile--unless you don't turn unbalanced
stuff. Mine isn't. But if I did have to move it, I think I would keep
the legs, and put a castered platform under it. TThe legs are fairly
cheap, and they are really rigid. I did have to put a 2x4 under mine
to get the lathe to comfortable turning height (I'm 6') so there is a
bit of room for some sort of wheeled contraption.

On the Wood Magazine Woodturning forum there have been lots of
complaints about problems with Delta machines, and problems with
Delta's customer relations. Scared me off. I can't tell you how
customer relations with Jet work--haven't had any problems.
Hope you love it.

Walt C