Old May 4th 21, 11:58 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Wind anxiety

There's a recognised phobia of wind, I don't think i'm at that level,
i'm not curled up in the foetal position but I am in my office in the
loft at work and the gusts are making me tense up.

Didn't sleep very well last night with gusts hammering the house.
I've lived there 20+ years and it's a windy spot but in all that time
the only issues we've had are a couple of lost slates (and several
flattened green cheap greenhouses).
It doesn't help that I was out at 5.30am recently collecting the
contents of our recycling bin from the street in a gale/****ing down rain.

I get particularly stressed with open windows and have to have them all
shut, especially so if we are away from home. I dare myself to leave
them open to (hopefully) demonstrate that they aren't going going to be
torn off but I panic and buckle.

Just wondering how common this is, is anyone else bothered in this way?

Old May 4th 21, 12:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2021 11:58, R D S wrote:
[...]

I love the wind. We used to play outside in the gales as kids trying to
turn into kites and take off

I do worry about trees near the house going over, though.

--
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.”

Thomas Sowell
Old May 4th 21, 12:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 4 May 2021 11:58:31 +0100, R D S wrote:

[...]

I'm very aware and respectful of the power of the wind (as a sailor
and power kite flyer) but the only real time(s) I've been anxious
about it is the potential damage it can do / is doing (fences,
motorcycle covers or as you say, slates etc) or when camping and
ending up with the tent material on top of us in the night.

We have woken up several times to that sort of damage on campsites but
luckily (so far anyway) it's not happened to us. Part of that may be
down to reasonable quality kit (even as simple as decent tent pegs)
and good 'prep' if there is a storm on it's way (additional guy lines
and even guying the motorcycles upright etc).

I used to leave our loft skylight open about 6" on it's built in prop
but it looked like it might be vulnerable in a storm (although it
survived a few) so I don't any more.

I'm not typically kept awake by the sound of high wind when at home
but I think there is a threshold above which I am (when you start to
hear slates rattling).

The current wind level has had our (empty) wheely bins over and the
seen recycling boxes going up the road but they generally stay put
once laid on their side and / or wedged up against stuff.

Cheers, T i m

Old May 4th 21, 12:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

I love the wind. We used to play outside in the gales as kids trying to
turn into kites and take off

Same, a favourite pastime as a kid. I don't so much mind being out in
it, but indoors it gives me a stomach ache.

Old May 4th 21, 12:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2021 12:37, T i m wrote:

We have woken up several times to that sort of damage on campsites but
luckily (so far anyway) it's not happened to us. Part of that may be
down to reasonable quality kit (even as simple as decent tent pegs)
and good 'prep' if there is a storm on it's way (additional guy lines
and even guying the motorcycles upright etc).

You've just made me recall a camping trip in Wales (Shell Island), our
tent pulling shapes with poles snapping and having to unravel the mother
in law from her completely flattened one!
Moving cars around in the dark trying to use them as windbreaks.
Maybe i've got PTSD.

Old May 4th 21, 12:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Totally agree - the friction stay on the bedroom window gives up and the
window gets blown wide - so I have to get up and close it. Worry about the
fence blowing over - the bin blowing over and spilling its contents, A
ridge tile smashing into the car.......

Old May 4th 21, 01:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2021 12:51, JohnP wrote:
Totally agree - the friction stay on the bedroom window gives up and the
window gets blown wide - so I have to get up and close it. Worry about the
fence blowing over - the bin blowing over and spilling its contents, A
ridge tile smashing into the car.......

Oh both bins are on their side this morning..if the contents have gone,
they've gone a long way...

In practice, there is.
-- Yogi Berra
Old May 4th 21, 01:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 4 May 2021 12:45:17 +0100, R D S wrote:

On 04/05/2021 12:37, T i m wrote:

We have woken up several times to that sort of damage on campsites but
luckily (so far anyway) it's not happened to us. Part of that may be
down to reasonable quality kit (even as simple as decent tent pegs)
and good 'prep' if there is a storm on it's way (additional guy lines
and even guying the motorcycles upright etc).

You've just made me recall a camping trip in Wales (Shell Island), our
tent pulling shapes with poles snapping and having to unravel the mother
in law from her completely flattened one!

Ooops! ;-) [1]

Moving cars around in the dark trying to use them as windbreaks.

Yup, been there, done that ... and erecting actual 'beach style'
windbreaks to try to take some of the load off the tent.

Maybe i've got PTSD.

;-)

Whilst it might be I think you are simply being realistic / sensible
by being conscious of the (destructive) power of the wind.

I think the issue for me (in this household) is the image of trying to
protect our house / possessions from any further damage should
something get damaged mid-storm ... trying to wrestle with a tarp or
fence panel at 5am in the wind and rain. Those who couldn't do that,
wouldn't then carry the burden of doing it (or not doing it), should
the need arise? Where the buck stops etc?

Out fence has been due to be replaced for many years now but every
time another bit breaks because of a storm (and I provide a(nother)
temporary fix) the less likely I am to want to then go out and buy a
replacement because the chances are, so will many other people and so
you can end up with less choice or the 'leftover' panels. Then when
it's calm and sunny I don't think about replacing the fence. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] We like the Khyam range of 'Rapidex' (quick erect) tents and
whilst you would think the (plastic) joints might be a weak link, they
haven't been so far (in winds that have flattened lesser tents). They
are also available as spares so we ensure we have some spares (then we
will never need them). ;-)

Ironically the biggest storm (wind wise) we have camped in was in
Scotland and we were in the 'Rigidome XL', a fairly slab sided QE 4
berth frame tent and whilst it moved about quite a bit, survived the
night.

The tent I've tent the safest in in a storm was an inflatable igloo
(the main 'frame' was inflatable) so whilst the material was often
down near you, you knew nothing was going to snap. ;-)
Old May 4th 21, 01:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Schoolteachers will tell you that a class behaves differently when a
high wind is blowing. Wind affecting behaviour is a "thing."

Nick
Old May 4th 21, 01:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
[...]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancraophobia

"With the use of hypnotherapy, the subconscious mind of a person
can be reached, potentially eliminating those fears."

(8) http://www.peterfieldhypnotherapy.co...of-drafts.html

You don't have to treat it with meds.

Paul