Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default OT: Wind anxiety

On 04/05/2021 16:13, R D S wrote:

and an occasional thwack like someone has hit the house with a
gigantic wet trout.

Worth repeating.

The only practical thing I can suggest is to insure with a good company,
not the cheapest premium. Then stop worrying about the roof coming off,
as it's just money, and even better it's just other people's money.

*The bins are in the front yard behind a stone wall around 18 inches
high, I was getting in the car the other morning and a gust lifted a
(albeit largely empty) wheely bin over the wall and into the car.

It's clearly exposed where you are, and it's absolutely sensible to be
cautious. I tend to avoid going under trees when the wind is up, as
occasionally big bits fall off. Is that phobia? No, I think it's just
wanting to die in my bed, rather than being hit on the head by a big
chunk of tree. Other people might think I worry too much.

You need to distinguish between perfectly reasonable caution about being
hit by things blowing in the wind, and unreasonable anxiety that makes
your life a misery. You sound to me like you're on the reasonable side,
still, but maybe you need to keep the anxiety under control.

I type this realising that there are people around the world infinitely
worse off, I am a privileged snowflake.

I think worrying about your cat's house is definitely a first world
problem.