charlie b

Default Glue Up - High Anxiety

Along the journey from rough sketch to finished project, there
usually is a way of recovering from a mistep. Glue up isn't one
of them.

Glue up can be HIGH ANXIETY!

Even more than selecting and applying the final finish on a piece,
for me, glue up is the most stressful part of making furniture
(or kid toys or boxes for that matter). There are so many potential
pitfalls and almost no way to get out of most of those pits. The
clock starts ticking with the application of that first bead of glue
and the window of opportunity for correcting “misteps” starts
closing

All
the parts
have
to fit together
properly,
snug,
but
not
overly tight

be oriented
correctly,
corners
that are
supposed to be
square
should be
square

Glue
has to be
where it's
suppose to be
AND NOT
where it
isn't
suppose to be

Things may
have to
go together
in
a specific order
or
ALL the parts
CAN”T
be
put together

The right clamps,
in
sufficient numbers,
have to be
close enough
at hand,
but
not in the way

Glue applicators
have to be
ready
and
the
right ones,
as well as
THE GLUE.

Square
verify
that
what you think
is
square
is
square

Once
the glue up
process
starts
it's a race
against
the clock,
tic-toc,
gravity
and
one’s
attention
span.

Like
playing chess
glue up
requires
thinking
several
moves ahead
while
NOT
skipping
the next
one

Of course
there are
things
one
can do
to increase
the likelyhood
of
success.

Marking Method
so
you
know
which piece
goes where
and
in
what
orientation

Dry Run
work out
bugs
BEFORE
any
glue
is applied

Once
you start
there’s
no
turning back.
Commit
and
make
the leap
checking
as
you go.
Tighten
this,
loosen
that,
check
and
move on.

Tomorrow
you’ll know
if
things
went well
or
not.

GLUE UP
Some
Assembly
Required
(batteries
not included)

charlie b

JLucas ILS

I dont agree. If you glue up panels and leave a 1/2" width for later trimming,
there is nothing to prevent you from ripping the gluedup panels apart and
starting over.
jo4hn

charlie b wrote:
Along the journey from rough sketch to finished project, there
usually is a way of recovering from a mistep. Glue up isn't one
of them.

Glue up can be HIGH ANXIETY!

[snip]

Exquisite. One more thing:

The search
for the
*^$#)#
mallet
must have
been
brought to a
successful
completion.

mahalo,
jo4hn

Steve Turner

Oh yeah. In my best "Darrell Hammond as Bill Clinton" voice: "I feel
your pain". :-)

I presume you've tried "Titebond II Extend"? I for one have been buying
more of that and less "Titebond II" lately. The new Titebond III ain't
bad either, and I'd probably buy more if Franklin wasn't so damn proud
of the stuff!

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, change the chemical designation to its common name.

charlie b

JLucas ILS wrote:

I dont agree. If you glue up panels and leave a 1/2" width for later trimming,
there is nothing to prevent you from ripping the gluedup panels apart and
starting over.

There's ALWAYS the option of cutting the glued up piece apart to
salvage
some of the part. On a paneled door, cuttiing off a rail or stile
would
still mean using a loose tenon joint to recover or you could make
the
door narrower or shorter but ...

What prompted my post was part of my bench glue up - the internal
through drawers guides sepcifically - 12 guides, two tenons per
end,
two ends. That's 48 tenons to fit in 48 mortises. The first image
on this page shows what was involved.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/MT/CBbench17.html

And jo4hn wrote:

The search
for the
*^$#)#
mallet
must have
been
brought to a
successful
completion.

How could I have forgotten THE MALLET?
CTSBTF - Cut To Size, Beat To Fit - a new
one to add to the groups Acronyms list?
In my case it's typically the 1 or 3 pound
rubber coated dead blow hammer.

Steve Turner wrote:

Oh yeah. In my best "Darrell Hammond as Bill Clinton" voice: "I feel
your pain". :-)

Yeah right. Normally, "tongue in cheek" implies both are
part of the same person - but in Bubba's case ...

I presume you've tried "Titebond II Extend"? I for one have been buying
more of that and less "Titebond II" lately. The new Titebond III ain't
bad either, and I'd probably buy more if Franklin wasn't so damn proud
of the stuff!

Haven't tried the Titebond II Extended -isn't it just a less
viscous/watered
down version of Titebond? For tricky glue ups I use Liquid Hide Glue
and
warm it up if I want it runnier. Since I hate dealing with drips I
try
to avoid runny glue.

For anyone who wants to read the genesis of my post here's the
url for The Rest of The Story

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/MT/CBbench18.html

charlie b
JLucas ILS

I stand corected. The scope of that project changes things totally. The only
answer is to get it right ass you go the first time...which it appears you have
done.

What kind of glue? Bill Orr Woodworking 8 November 27th 03 03:42 PM
Popping glue lines T. Woodworking 0 October 27th 03 06:39 AM
Wood Adhesives Dan O'Connor Woodworking 13 October 17th 03 12:50 PM
Glue vs. No Glue Nehmo Sergheyev Woodworking 11 September 28th 03 01:59 AM
Glueless laminate floor and glue.. Abso UK diy 11 July 14th 03 11:49 PM